SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-07, 10:53 AM   #1
Doomgiver
Bosun

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Pilot rescues

how do i rescue a pliots, i know i have to be at stopped but how far away can i be or do i need to be right next to them
Doomgiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 12:50 PM   #2
swash
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Sorry no answer, but I would like to add another question to yours.

Can we pick up enemy pilots as POWs?

My crew shot down several Vals and Zeroes on our return trip and I tried to pick up a couple of downed enemy pilots, but it was a no go. I got close, all stop, used the Binocs to center a pilot and the "Rescue Survivor" icon never would click.
swash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:13 PM   #3
Nokia
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 131

You just have to look at the pilot through your binoculars and press the "cirkle" icon (furthest to the left i think) at the "bridge" station or something. And there you go more renown . Hope this helps.

Nokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 02:07 PM   #4
swash
Sailor man

yup. Just rescued 2 pilots in the Midway quick battle.

Center a downed pilot in your binocs on the bridge and the Resuce Survivor Icon will turn yellow. Click it and you'll get a message of the rescue.

You don't have to be right along side of them either, nor at all stop. I recovered one pilot while at slow speed. You'll know you're in range when that icon lights up and you have them centered in the Binocs.

Before I could rescue the other 4, I got bombed by a flight from the carriers
swash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 04:44 PM   #5
Tobowsi
Seaman

On a related note, any idea if the pilots hang around a while or do they despawn? I'd have to wait for these destroyers to disappear before I can surface to pick the pilots up.
Tobowsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 06:29 PM   #6
Gildor
Lieutenant

They die after awhile. Time frame not determined but they do disappear.
Old 04-01-07, 07:08 PM   #7
Tobowsi
Seaman

Well, I'm surfaced now and there are blue "survivor" squares on the map, but every time I go to one, there's nothing there.

I'd think there should be. I'm at the spot less than an hour after the time shown (when I presume they were shot down) and it's not like this is the North Atlantic. They should be able to survive an hour in that water.

Last edited by Tobowsi; 04-01-07 at 07:21 PM.
Tobowsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 12:10 AM   #8
JuicemanJ
Swabbie

Downloads: 48

It seem the square is just close to where they are if you use sonar u can get right on them then surface and you will see a parachute thats him.
JuicemanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 09:12 PM   #9
Skubber
Officer

Downloads: 36

After recieving a request to support our action at Guadalcanal, I spied two downed fliers just around the port of Honiara.

It was kinda cool - there were two parachute icons on my map, and then they changed to "boat" icons once they were in the water.

Even though it wasn't my original mission, it appeared I was still able to pick them up.
Got close to one while under fire from two destroyers, but I couldn't slow down enough to get to get him out of the water. Kinda preoccupied by trading fire with the destroyers.

Finally one ship was almost on top of me. One shell nicked our hull just above the propellers. Dove to the bottom of the bay.

We never did succeed in the rescue. Could no longer risk my whole crew for two pilots. But I guess they got to see a pretty good firefight before swimming to shore.

I am really enjoying the possibilites for variety in the campaings, as opposed to the constant "track, aim, shoot" routine.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778
Skubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 04:55 PM   #10
jason210
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 33

Can we pick up enemy survivors? I hate leaving that jap pilot all alone in the middle of the Pacific.
Windows 10 Pro
jason210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 05:08 PM   #11
switch.dota
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason210
Can we pick up enemy survivors? I hate leaving that jap pilot all alone in the middle of the Pacific.
Do him a favor and shoot him instead. At least he would've died by his enemy's guns instead of drowning.

I tried picking up a downed jap pilot -- with no success. I tried shooting him with the deck gun -- nothing. I even tried aiming the AA battery low -- again useless. I even tried running him over with the sub -- only to hear steel-on-stell screeching (would've been funny as hell to take damage 'cuz of that on top of the wierd sound).

The only thing I didn't try was torpedoing him!
switch.dota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 08:09 PM   #12
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

This is one of the most aggrivatting "missions" in the game.

The best way to find them is to submerge a bit past Periscope depth and get a fix and race to the position.

For some curious reason you can hear life rafts on sonar.

Problem is that the life rafts skitter around like frightend cockaroaches.

I got this mission once spent many hours on it. Finally gave up and returned to base.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote