Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-07-15, 09:00 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default Terrorist attack in Paris on French magazine

I'm starting a new thread on this horrific event, since the original one got off to a bad start. Try to keep the ideology to a minimum. Discuss the news, add your opinion, but try not to ruin this into the ground
Old 01-07-15, 09:03 AM   #2
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

One thing I love about satirical media, they won't let themselves be bullied like this, no matter how tragical.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 09:05 AM   #3
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Doing the rounds on Twitter. Heartening to see.

I wonder how the police response will stack up against the Boston Marathon manhunt, seeing as the gunmen are still at large.
Old 01-07-15, 09:06 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A terrible senseless act of barbarism....I was especially moved when I saw the police officer who had been wounded being executed with a single shot to the head whilst holding his hands up in surrender

Where next?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 09:32 AM   #5
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Could be anywhere Jim, we are at war after all. The enemy will grow stronger or weaker depending partially on our actions, but make no mistake we must not give in to extremism, nor answer it with extremism of our own.
I hope the French police catch these terrorists alive and they are denied the chance to martyr themselves.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 09:35 AM   #6
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

They should all understand (wishfull thinking) that the less they behave like barbarians, the less their prophet would be mocked.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 10:09 AM   #7
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Gonna see more and more of this. The world is at war with radical Islam and we can't figure how to deal with so called moderate Islam without offense to war with the radicals. It's gonna continue to worsen and eventually a major showdown....

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 10:16 AM   #8
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

That is exactly the thing, it is how we treat moderate Islam, either we drive them into the arms of the extremists and make more work for ourselves, or we work at driving a wedge between them and the extremists and cut off the extremists manpower base. It's not foolproof, you are going to get incidents like this, but if you take the national population of Muslims of a country and the number of extremists in that country and compare the two it is hardly an overwhelming majority, unlike some people would have you believe, for their own political and ideological causes.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 10:30 AM   #9
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
That is exactly the thing, it is how we treat moderate Islam, either we drive them into the arms of the extremists and make more work for ourselves, or we work at driving a wedge between them and the extremists and cut off the extremists manpower base. It's not foolproof, you are going to get incidents like this, but if you take the national population of Muslims of a country and the number of extremists in that country and compare the two it is hardly an overwhelming majority, unlike some people would have you believe, for their own political and ideological causes.
Well, just look at the numbers of so called moderates that want to ban free speech against Muhammad and are OK for those that offend their religion to be killed.

The only ones that can drive a true wedge are moderate Muslims, which mean they have to go to war in mass against radical, in principle and law. The fact is Islam run states won't do this.

In nations like France large radical populations are growing, you have possible 1000's joining ISIS and other radical groups and they seem to have free roam back and forth....It's eventually going to turn into a civil war or clash of civilizations. Radicals only want to grow and terror so much as they keep gaining power, but eventually we'll all be involved in another major ME war..

The only thing that can reform Islam is Islam....

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 11:22 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Oh yeah, there it shows up again: this dream of a "moderate Islam". Not even six hours from first calling the news to mentioning moderate Islam - not bad, but it could be mentioned even faster!

Its not in the scripture it bases on, but still - even if the dream lived just one week, one day - it nevertheless has LIVED !

Islam is as totalitarian by its ideological fundament as communism or fascism are. Supremacist to the core and bone, unforgiving towards anybody refusing it, nobody's friend except to itself, all world's enemy. A world it says it has the divine obligation to claim all, and where peace only can be had on your knees, under the sword of Muhammad, in voluntary or enforced submission, the green flag flying in the wind above you. You either love green - or you are to be dead.

This and nothing else is the teaching of Islam, and always has been. The Arabic root of the word Islam means submission.
Old 01-07-15, 11:26 AM   #11
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Still no word on the gunmen. Getting some heartbreaking texts from a friend in Paris.
Old 01-07-15, 11:37 AM   #12
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
Still no word on the gunmen. Getting some heartbreaking texts from a friend in Paris.
If these guys get away I'm sure they'll strike again eventually.
Old 01-07-15, 12:28 PM   #13
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Default A lamentable day for freedom of speech and opinion

People like this have no reason for existence and will not prevail.

They should think of this;

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

by Evelyn Beatrice Hall

If they can think at all
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 12:34 PM   #14
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
If these guys get away I'm sure they'll strike again eventually.
That's the weirdest thing about this.

No martyrdom. No hostages. No public statements by the attackers. Makes you expect more.

Ugh.
Old 01-07-15, 12:35 PM   #15
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Well how about we derail this into the Kosovo direction, ahh, I forgot, Serbians are blamed by the West for everything that ever happened there.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote