SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-15, 04:53 PM   #1
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0
Default Just starting out with SH4 v1.4. It needs serious tweeks.

I haven't been able to get a DVD copy of v1.5 just yet as its more than I'm willing to pay at the moment and I didn't see the need when I have SH3.... until I started playing it. I'm not a fan I must say.
I haven't come on here to slate the game or anything as its technically very good but there are a few things that are letting it down for me.

1. I want the SH3 HUD/UI or something very similar as I hate having to remember what each very similar icon means and when I press one down it looks exactly like it did before. Also having to click two things to go to a station is too slow for me. My function keys are dual use so I have to press the fn key first then the F3 key to get the map for example.

2. I hate the chunky map tools that block out half of the map. It also happens to be on the west side where Japan and most of the war is. NOT GOOD. "Enemy Task Force Reported long - lat (Right behind my great big ruler)

3. I don't have radar, yet I get radar contacts or I do have radar and while I'm at the station I cant use it, not sure which.

4. I get sound contacts blasting across the surface at ahead standard?

5. I cant see behind the boat on the Bridge unless I use the Binos, TBT (UZO)

6. Aeroplanes are far too easy to take on.

7. I cannot use the hydrophone/passive sonar by rotating it myself? (This could be a rookie thing, same with the radar stations)

8. I cant remain locked onto a visual contact at 4000yds in perfect weather?

9. The attack scopes zoom level is terrible. I can sort that with s3d.

10. They didn't bother re-recording the voices from SH3 so ahead 2/3 is ahead slow? (That one is a bit nit picky I know)

11. This is just down to me but I can't use the TDC in this game. The Siemens one in SH3 is much simpler to use and read. It took me ten minutes to adjust the torpedo speeds and depth at which point the Jap ship had gone over the horizon.

12. Radio and Gramophone is rubbish but that's because its stock

If anyone has any suggestions as to which mods combat these points that are spoiling it for me let me know.

I am an SH3 veteran so I'm familiar with editing .cfg files, using s3d and JSGME. I would like to try a supermod that is similar to GWX3.0 in that it installs itself hassle free and vastly improves most of the above but I need v1.5 for all of them and I am willing to buy it at some point.

Other than the 12 moans the game is a cracking example of a subsim with awesome graphics and sound which in most cases surpasses SH3 by a very long way.

I have made the .exe file able to utilise more than 2Gb of RAM but that's all I have modified so far. This has eliminated the crashes I was getting and a lot of the lag.

My rig is a HP Pavillion Laptop which I believe to have a standalone Radeon HD graphics card however I might be wrong there. It wasn't exactly clear when I bought it.
It has 8Gb of RAM, a quad core AMD A8 processor at 1.6Ghz.
Windows 8.1 64bit (Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its so horrible!)
A massive HDD that I most probably will never scratch the surface of.

Last edited by scott_c2911; 04-28-15 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Didn't include os in system spec
scott_c2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15, 06:18 PM   #2
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

1. Data\CFG\Commands.cfg can be edited to re-assign keys.

2. Click on the center of the map and move the mouse to slide it around. Mouse wheel zooms in and out.

3. SJ radar is surface search, usually not available at the beginning of the war. SD radar is air search which is available.

4. Game don't simulate flow noise, but the lower sound heads in real life COULD pick up contacts at 15 knots depending on how noisy the contacts are.

5. Yep, really need a second position on the bridge. There are "free roam" camera mods, but I kept getting out of sectors errors with 1.4.

6. Sometimes the evil culprits do hit you with a bomb.

7. Click on the outer circle of the dial.

8. Bug, saving and reloading the game usually fixes that.

9. Yep. I tried OTC (Optical Targeting Correction) mod, but found that it worked better hacking it myself for 3 zoom levels instead of two.

10. I turned the voices off long ago since they were so irritating, don't even remember what they say.

11. At first contact I set the fish depth and speed, open outer doors, then start tracking and plotting so I don't have to fiddle with it at close range. US fleet boats in real life had a more sophisticated TDC than any other country, so it will be different. Might think about leaving auto targeting on the first few weeks to observe how it works when it's working automatically.

12. Never bothered with either one.

13. Webster's "Game Fixes Only" mod is the first patch most people get, but there are still a lot of bugs and poor programming.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15, 06:34 PM   #3
scott_c2911
Engineer

Thanx for the quick and detailed reply I appreciate it
Old 04-30-15, 02:03 PM   #4
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Of course it is crap if your running a stock game. There are plenty of mods out there that do a real wonderful job of making for a better simulator.

Just look through the download section.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
FJB_Navigation_Maps
FJB Color Navigation Map
Gyoraitei
11 New Ships + Yamato AA Fix by Miner1436
Ship pack 1
More_DDs_for_AITorpedoLauncher
SMALLER SEA PLANTS SMALL
SMALLER SEABED ROCKS
#5 Depthcharge Sound
#2 Other Clouds
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton for v1.4 and v1.5
Aircraft_reflections
Hull_Numbers
TMO Smoke Mod
AITorpedolauncher

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-15, 02:23 PM   #5
scott_c2911
Engineer

Ive modified the zoom levels on the optics. Im not going for historical realism just game play comfort so this is how I've tweaked it.
Obs and Attack Scope: 5 zoom levels 1x 2x 5x 10x and 20x
Binos and UZO: 2 zoom levels 5x 10x
Tweak one complete.
Now for a new gui that I like and can use.
I have another moan and I have a faint idea how to fix it but I need a little clarification. In SH3 I could press numpad enter to instantly go to 1x tc. Now it fires a torpedo.... not good when pearl harbour has already seen enough devastation as it is!
Old 04-30-15, 05:57 PM   #6
scott_c2911
Engineer

Ive added another couple of mods and its alot better now. Ive used the green lamp mod for the HUD/UI and added a 3000yd bearing plotter like the one in GWX 3.0. Ive then started out with USS Seawolf on my first proper patrol. Wow! I deliberatly went in a bit gung ho to really test it and Ive sunk just under 20,000 ton and nailed a betty. Took a bit of damage though! I made some command decisions I wouldnt normally make just for the excitement. Love it! Still needs alot of work but Im getting there.
Old 05-01-15, 09:55 PM   #7
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Keypad + increases TC, keypad - decreases TC, Backspace key sets TC to zero.

If you open \Data\Cfg\Commands.cfg in notepad and find;

[Cmd313]
Name=Fire_torpedo
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x0D,,"Enter"

Change that to

[Cmd313]
Name=Fire_torpedo
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x0D,c,"Enter"

The lowercase c changes that from ENTER to CTRL+ENTER so the fish won't fire from accidentally hitting either ENTER key, since you have to hold down the CTRL key and hit ENTER to fire that tube.

Another hack with Silent 3ditor, edit the sub's SIM file to disable the automatic outer door opening.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...00&postcount=3

Makes it impossible to fire a tube without using the Q key to manually open the outer door.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote