SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-09, 01:09 AM   #1
Easy_Eight65
Swab Jockey

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 Wolfpacking and "Worst Case Scenario" campaign options -- PLEASE.

Wow -- great trailer. If the game actually plays anything like the teaser, then we're in for a real treat. Wolfpacking was conspicously missing from the list of "5 new features" though -- makes me kind of nervous.

I would love to see a "Worst Case Scenario" campaign option too: the abilty to scuttle / abandon ship if the unthinkable happens. Even 1914 Shells of Fury (which I bought today for $3.00 and am having a blast) has an 'abandon ship' option to end the patrol...yeah -- this puny, little budget sub sim gives you the option to scuttle your boat. The description in the manual goes on to say: "If you are fortunate, you will be rescued by a German ship and be able to CONTINUE the campaign."

How cool would that be in SH5? That's what I'm talkin' about here: campaign options, people! On a grimmer note, the alternative endings could also be simply summarized in the Post-Patrol screen: KIA or captured and sent to sit out the rest of the war in a POW camp... could even be played out cinematically like this fanatstic trailer Ubisoft just released. Well, I can only hope. I pray someone from the SH5 Dev team hears my plea. I'm an optimist, so I will definitely buy the game regardless.

"You may fire when ready, Gridley." --Commodore George Dewey

Last edited by Easy_Eight65; 08-18-09 at 01:21 AM.
Easy_Eight65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 01:20 AM   #2
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_Eight65 View Post
Wolfpacking was conspicously missing from the list of "5 new features" though -- makes me kind of nervous.
I have the same concern. Ubisoft, please, please bring the WOLFPACKS in, otherwise you'll (once again) miss the essence of the Atlantic submarine warfare in WW2.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 01:30 AM   #3
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Agreed.

Wolfpacks should be the core component of U-boats simulations.
Old 08-18-09, 01:37 AM   #4
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

I agree that having wolfpacks and the abandon ship/surrender options would be great to have in-game.
Old 08-18-09, 02:29 AM   #5
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
I agree that having wolfpacks and the abandon ship/surrender options would be great to have in-game.
Its not just that it would be great.. it is a MUST!!
They have to implement this! Otherwise they will fail again and the whole campaign makes no sense!

best greetings
Han
Old 08-18-09, 03:18 AM   #6
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

It would be insane not to have wolfpacks this time. Its been talked about for half a decade now and there is absolutely no excuse for it to be missing in place of "Sims Uboat" stuff.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 04:08 AM   #7
Grothesj2
Medic

Downloads: 0

Absolutly no excuse not to have a wolfpack with today's computing power on your average PC.
Grothesj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 05:23 AM   #8
Kapteeni Rantala
Mate

Downloads: 7

I have a feeling that we will see the ability to co-operate with other submarines in Wolfpack - I trust the developers that much, and I just have the feeling also.
Old 08-18-09, 05:58 AM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

SH5 without wolfpacks will be about as realistic as SH4 without water.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 06:37 AM   #10
dize
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0

also my nr1 concern. iirc, ubi rom said that they had to cut it from sh3 because of time concerns. there seems to be no valid excuse not to include it this time.
a working bdu ai, (be more agressive!) and a good uboot ai is a absolute must have. it would be realy cool to have some comment about this from the devs. if its not included, which means heading for a uboot fps/rpg, i can lean back and ease the tension.

dize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 07:41 AM   #11
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

you are asking for smoking weapons of mass distraction...

I would remain sitted without any high hopes... many good things could have been applied to SH3/SH4 but were ignored... so why SH5 would be that different?

thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 08:03 AM   #12
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
SH5 without wolfpacks will be about as realistic as SH4 without water.
Or reefs.

Or surface units that properly zig zag.

tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 08:09 AM   #13
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

By the way, does that survey we had in forums about what do we want to see in SH5 was sent to UBI already ?
Old 08-18-09, 09:25 AM   #14
NoLine
Medic

Downloads: 55

If wolfpacks are in (which i hope), this would also mean shadowing convoys for other uboats but this could take upto several days.
How would they do this as shadowing a convoy at no time compression takes a long time and pumping the time compression up means running into the convoy or loosing the convoy.
I also hope to see milkcow, other resupply vessels and a more active radio traffic between uboats and BdU

Noline
NoLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 10:03 AM   #15
Wulfmann
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 1

If they left it up to me I would say Wolfpacks were the most necessary item to complete historical relevance to a U-Boat campaign and if we can not have that I would prefer they do WWI.

WWI did not have Wolfpacks but I am guessing the making of an entirely new set of models would trash that.
I would love to slip out of post and see Derrflinger or put up the peri and see HMS Lion but that is unrealistic to even imagine.

I dare say the effort for SH5 to have wolfpacks would detract from the more profitable eye candy that would put more money into Ubi's pocket.

Perhaps if I had shares in UBI i would agree with candy over substance.

If they could add ai torpedoes I am guessing someone could add U-Boat ai later but I seriously doubt we will see coordinated wolfpacks.

Player would have to direct other craft or somehow be able to coordinate with them. Nice idea but beyond the scope of reality, IMO

Wulfmann