SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-14, 07:42 PM   #1
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Uploads: 0
Anyone play board war games?

The forum has thread topics for all kinds of games on computers. I'll bet a lot of subsim folks grew up with and a lot still play tabletop. What about miniatures?
There are always lots of miniatures displays and diaramas at games conventions that I have attended.

How about it? Do we need a discussion thread about popular hobbies that don't need any electronics except light bulbs?
raymond6751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 07:57 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I've read many posts over the years about members who play board games. I play mostly tabletop miniatures games, on a weekly basis. In fact I do those a lot more than I play any computer games these days.
Old 01-01-14, 08:01 PM   #3
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

No but I remember some simplistic WW1 RFC and German air force board game from the 1960's that had these little plastic Fokker triplanes molded in red and I held them in my hands and had dogfights the likes of Mick Mannock and Verner Voss never dreamed of.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 08:31 PM   #4
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Shameless plug for Wings of Glory.
Old 01-01-14, 08:32 PM   #5
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
No but I remember some simplistic WW1 RFC and German air force board game from the 1960's that had these little plastic Fokker triplanes molded in red and I held them in my hands and had dogfights the likes of Mick Mannock and Verner Voss never dreamed of.
I had one of those games. I don't think we ever played it as intended either.

As a teenager I was pretty good at Avalon Hill games though. I had Squad Leader, Afrika Korps, Panzer Leader and Wooden Ships and Iron Men.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 08:46 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Shameless plug for Wings of Glory.
I've read the rules for Wings of Glory and I find them extremely simplistic and boring. On a site for one of their games they actually take a jab at our system, saying "Wings of Glory is a game, not a complex flight simulator." There is only one set of rules that fits that description, and I play them every other week.
Old 01-01-14, 08:51 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24

You ol' dog fighter!!! Milton Bradley DOGFIGHT 1963!! still have along-side my Avalon Hill Gettysburg and Fury in the West. Options were real simple: LOOP, ROLL, AND BURST; the play was so intense...I had to wash the Spandau powder off my cheeks! poor Werner's DRI was of course blue and he ran into James McCudden's Squadron(all ace elite) 56 of SE-5's(your model) and was demised by Arthur Rhys-David after an incredible display of airmanship, damaging all 7 of his opponent's aircraft in the process. My sig, in tribute, below says all...PS: do not fly a Cessna 172 inverted; I'm not Voss and it ain't a DRI.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 09:34 PM   #8
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I play Axis and Allies with my friend occasionally.

I would really like to get into wargaming. But, none of my friends have the patience and I really don't think many of them have the intelligence for it. I hate to say it...but it took me ages to explain chess to my class.
Old 01-01-14, 09:37 PM   #9
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
You ol' dog fighter!!! Milton Bradley DOGFIGHT 1963!! still have along-side my Avalon Hill Gettysburg and Fury in the West. Options were real simple: LOOP, ROLL, AND BURST; the play was so intense...I had to wash the Spandau powder off my cheeks! poor Werner's DRI was of course blue and he ran into James McCudden's Squadron(all ace elite) 56 of SE-5's(your model) and was demised by Arthur Rhys-David after an incredible display of airmanship, damaging all 7 of his opponent's aircraft in the process. My sig, in tribute, below says all...PS: do not fly a Cessna 172 inverted; I'm not Voss and it ain't a DRI.
I found it a lot more fun to chase my friends around the house making machine gun noises.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 10:50 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I found it a lot more fun to chase my friends around the house making machine gun noises.
My friend Rocky's three sons did that until their mother told him to stop it. One day I was visiting and one the boys was sitting talking with us. One of his brothers popped around a corner, pointed his finger and whispered "Whick whick whick!" and ran off again. I looked at them quizzicaly and Rocky said "Squirt guns."
Old 01-01-14, 11:06 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

If yer doin' it in the buff as an MG 34, don't overheat the barrel; Ma' Deuce can fend fer hersef' KTAM! KTAM! BUDDA! BUDDA! have A Hamm's with your Ageless Male so's ya don't hafta' change out the belt(or canister) at a critical juncture Jimmy Hendrix woulda had ta' rewrite 'machine gun' after that!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-01-14, 11:09 PM   #12
gi_dan2987
Weps

Downloads: 61

Risk, Axis & Allies, and you can't forget the classic Chess.
gi_dan2987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 01:37 AM   #13
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

And this thread is in GT because?

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 01:43 AM   #14
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Old and lame. Thanks for putting a name to that game!

I play ROF just to fly the models mainly and it's worth every penny just for that in my world. The models are awesome and I yearn for some more 1914 early war types.

I do believe I had Fokker triplanes in my game but this is the box art and board. Gawd I feel old.....

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 02:07 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Artistic license if ever; I don't recall Nungesser in a Nieuport 'bebe' ever getting the six-over on a all red 'diable rouge' of Manfred's, the Albatross III(v strut?) which was his main tally getter.

Tags
board, hobby, miniatures, tabletop