SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-21, 09:32 AM   #1
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default Father pulls daughter out of school.

A New York father pulls his daughter out of Brearley with a message to the whole school. Is the dam starting to break?

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/you...ad-this-letter
Quote:

I was planning to publish a roundup today of the many thoughtful responses to Paul Rossi’s essay. I’m going to save that post for Sunday, because I was just sent this letter that has my jaw on the floor. It was written by a Brearley parent named Andrew Gutmann.

If you don’t know about Brearley, it’s a private all-girls school on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. It costs $54,000 a year and prospective families apparently have to take an “anti-racism pledge” to be considered for admission. (In the course of my reporting for this piece I spoke to a few Brearley parents.)

Gutmann chose to pull his daughter, who has been in the school since kindergarten, and sent this missive to all 600 or so families in the school earlier this week. Among the lines:
If Brearley’s administration was truly concerned about so-called “equity,” it would be discussing the cessation of admissions preferences for legacies, siblings, and those families with especially deep pockets. If the administration was genuinely serious about “diversity,” it would not insist on the indoctrination of its students, and their families, to a single mindset, most reminiscent of the Chinese Cultural Revolution...

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 10:21 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

True in different forms and contexts in so many other places, countries and situations, too.

That letter has lots of gunpowder in it, so much is certain.
Old 04-28-21, 11:03 AM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Pulling a kid from an expensive private school

First. World. Problems.
Old 04-28-21, 01:33 PM   #4
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post

First. World. Problems.
Public schools will worse for his daughter. However, with that kind of money to drop for private school I would think a private tutor can be hired on.
Old 04-28-21, 02:40 PM   #5
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:

First. World. Problems.
Well, it's also a 3rd world problem. And a middle class problem.

When you indoctrinate a generation of woke idiots who don't have the critical thinking skills to work a fast food job and you put them in charge because of their privilege, it hurts everyone. We've already got that now - how many elite private school wunderkind have infected the ranks of industry C-suites, executive-level positions in government, and tenured professorships? We don't need any more.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 03:12 PM   #6
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

So, pledging to be against racism is indoctrination on students.

For a bit of solace, most private schools and such are still right-wing, racist and not "infected by high school wunderkinds". The politically right is right where the money is, and the rich know this very well. Thinking and especially critical thinking is by all means not the right wing's forte.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 03:48 PM   #7
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

For a bit of solace, most private schools and such are still right-wing, racist and not "infected by high school wunderkinds". The politically right is right where the money is, and the rich know this very well. Thinking and especially critical thinking is by all means not the right wing's forte.
You really have *no* idea what you are talking about if you are referring to schools in the US. The elite private schools in NY and LA are infested with leftists - both faculty/staff and parents.

And let's stop with the "racism." The word is discounted to now mean only "your ideas are not in accordance with leftist party doctrine.". Anyone who doesn't toe the social marxist party line is labeled a racist.

The rest of us are done with their bullsh!t.
Old 04-28-21, 03:50 PM   #8
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Public schools will worse for his daughter. However, with that kind of money to drop for private school I would think a private tutor can be hired on.
With that scratch, I'd just as soon start up my own private school with traditional values. And I'd offer it at a discount compared to my woke competition.
Old 04-28-21, 04:10 PM   #9
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Yes. It is part of the Critical Race Theory that is presented as the singular lens through which one ought to see the world. In CRT, race is a social construct, enforced by those in power (white men), and predetermines someone’s role and ability in society. It begins from the assumption that racism is an ordinary part of every aspect of life in our societies. It looks for racism in every situation and interaction. It is as illiberal an idea as you could have. It creates the idea that certain groups of people are doomed to be perpetual victims. It is pure poison.

Why not take a pledge to not be a serial killer? Or not to cheat on your taxes? Or be a rapist?

Asking people to take such a pledge makes an assumption that shouldn't be made.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 04:21 PM   #10
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ i see it more as an oath. like in the military. I would not say that this is superfluous. The oath, i mean

Quote:
Asking people to take such a pledge makes an assumption that shouldn't be made.
But it seems some of this school saw it necessary, to make a stance in these times, i wonder how they got the idea, especially after some recent events.
B.t.w. I do not like private schools, most do not really offer a better education, but better networking and connections that help them later. I still think especially among private schools the aforementioned pledge is quite rare among them.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 05:14 PM   #11
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
^ i see it more as an oath. like in the military. I would not say that this is superfluous. The oath, i mean
People in the military who take an oath are adults and they do so because they have chosen to join up. These are children. Big difference.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 05:23 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

If claimed - but never proven - reasons of reason are only used as an alibi in order to spread ideology in truth, then this maneuver serves exclusively to nip any argumentative resistance in the bud and to underhandedly obtain unconditional submission in spirit. Suggestive language is criticized immediately in court - in the war of the left activists for the sovereignty of interpretation, it is the silver bullet.

And dare you never to point that gun at themselves! The whole wolfpack immediatly is going after you.
Old 04-28-21, 06:33 PM   #13
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:

You may not admit it but it certainly is indoctrination, along with any other social pledge forced upon students, like not taking drugs or having sex or being "green" or "woke" or voting for a particular party, whatever it is, because you know that they all come with a mandatory class with tests and grades that can last hours, days or even the entire school year. That is indoctrination no matter which way you look at it.

Quote:
For a bit of solace, most private schools and such are still right-wing, racist and not "infected by high school wunderkinds". The politically right is right where the money is, and the rich know this very well.
What do you know about what most private schools are like, especially here in America? Are you in possession of some kind of evidence to back your specious statement? FWIW at the private school campus' that I have worked on as a contractor these past 40 years, and there are a lot of them around here, the left is more that well represented. In fact they are the majority of the administration and faculty at all of these fine institutions, just as they are the majority in the public schools and universities that I have done work at as well. So forgive me but i'm having a bit of a difficult time believing you there.

Quote:
Thinking and especially critical thinking is by all means not the right wing's forte.
Well, I believe it's much more true that the left wing consists of thuggish losers whose only serious thinking is confined to plotting increasingly evil ways to steal from others because they are too stupid and lazy to figure out how to earn it themselves. So there you go. Hyperbole broadside returned!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 06:37 PM   #14
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:

First. World. Problems.

So what, less valid? What World you living in?

Old 04-28-21, 06:44 PM   #15
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post

Yeah and that might actually be a better option given that while there are probably other private schools for a guy like that to chose from they may not be any different than that one.