SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-24, 07:10 PM   #1
SquidB
Officer

Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0
Default I’f only there was a third way

My issue is that to really simulate the role of a sub skipper the information provided to you the player needs to be more nuanced.

Generally in these games we have a choice; map contacts on or off.

The former gives you perfect information the latter only what you plot yourself.

There is more than one man aboard a submarine, the captain has officers to assist him in his role. I wish I could assign a guy to plot contacts, he might not be perfect, but I trust him enough to do the job whilst I sort out how to penetrate the convoy based on his imperfect information.

It seems at the moment it’s a choice between gps guided map and a blank piece of paper with my sub in the middle.
SquidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-24, 07:20 PM   #2
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 475
Uploads: 11

The way I play is that I leave map contacts on for the sonar lines for intercepting, bit I never use it for attacking. Once I get eyeballs on a ship, the map is forbidden.

I attack completely visually.

Entire patrol with timestamps. Convoy near the end:

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-24, 07:35 PM   #3
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

In 100% mode without mods, you're not as blind as you think. The hydro-contact has a tool that will help you plot a TC which I think bridges the gap you are talking about perfectly.
Old 08-31-24, 03:45 AM   #4
SquidB
Officer

Quote:
Entire patrol with timestamps. Convoy near the end:
Impressive stuff, I really need to figure out how the back of the attack disk works.

Quote:
In 100% mode without mods, you're not as blind as you think. The hydro-contact has a tool that will help you plot a TC which I think bridges the gap you are talking about perfectly
Yes the sonar operator has an uncanny ability to plot TC, my only issue with it is that he’s too good

I guess my ideal would be that I have a visual on a target, I take its bearing and distance and that is plotted on the map as per my measurements. If I take its speed and work out its course (or guess it) that dot on the map now starts moving. Or I could assign an officer to do that for me, of course his measurements might be off as are mine, but I can alway try to revise his solution myself. just automatically plotting a mark onto the map based of range and bearing would be massively helpful. We can always dream I guess
Old 08-31-24, 04:31 AM   #5
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidB View Post
I guess my ideal would be that I have a visual on a target, I take its bearing and distance and that is plotted on the map as per my measurements. If I take its speed and work out its course (or guess it) that dot on the map now starts moving. Or I could assign an officer to do that for me, of course his measurements might be off as are mine, but I can alway try to revise his solution myself. just automatically plotting a mark onto the map based of range and bearing would be massively helpful. We can always dream I guess
Sounds like it might be an interesting mod. If modders are allowed to create drawing objects? That would be right up my alley.
Old 08-31-24, 06:37 AM   #6
RAM
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 66

I personally can't wait for a mod that deals with this. I, for many reasons, also think map contacs off is a no-go, both for realism reasons (skippers had officers doing plotting for them), and for enjoyement reasons (it's just taking on so many roles at one time, and my playing time is restricted, even more when making videos for YT as I do).

But I'm also bothered by how exceedingly accurate contacts are when the option is turned on. There should be a middle ground ,and a better one than the No Spoilers mod, which turns contacts into funnels like the sound contacts, making a total unrecognizable mess when you're dealing with several ships within visual range.

The second someone comes out with a mod that adresses this, I'll get it ASAP.
Old 08-31-24, 03:02 PM   #7
SquidB
Officer

Even a mod that turned the ship icons on the map into dots (map marks) would go a long way. At least with that you wouldn't be able to discern course and AOB so easily, but at the same time you would have a reasonable picture of the situation.