SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-03-10, 07:08 PM   #1
SubSim Skipper
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Introduction and questions?

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the subsim forums, i actually just learned of them from the Silent Hunter V facebook page from a guy (I believe is a member named John Hamm) who had posted about the evils of DRM in Silent Hunter V.

Funny I have been playing the Silent Hunter series since Silent hunter III, and I bought Silent Hunter IV when it came out but I never new this forum and all of it's great mods were here!!

So at any rate Since I have been playing the Vanilla version of Silent Hunter IV for so long i was looking forward to trying this Real Fleet Boat Mod and the Environmental Mod5 are these good? and also is there a mod to decrease the amount of bad weather that you experience? (or is it just me?) but it seems that on a 30 day patrol only 5 days are good weather. Though I actually never see storm just rough seas and dark skies.

Oh and one other thing on the aspect of realism did the sub skippers actually have a book that they used that allowed them to judge the distance of a boat based on mast height? as in the game, or did they use some other message, I just can't find anywhere where is discusses that they could send some ship type into the TDC and it account for height and distance on it's own like it does in the game.

Thank you guys for all of your help in advance,
SubSim Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 07:31 PM   #2
Inner Sound
Sparky

Downloads: 25

Hi SubSim Skipper - excellent name by the way.

You can reset the weather to fair by pressing shift f4 - or if its not that its something very like - someone will confirm or correct shortly.

The supermods are good, you'll need your grey matter for them.
Inner Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 07:47 PM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Welcome aboard!

You will find this board to be full of very helpful people and there are some excellent sticky posts with tons (mega tons?) of tips and tactics.

The SH5 forum is getting a bit hot these days, but in the SH3/4 forums feel free to ask any questions you like. Someone will know the answer and I will learn something new by reading their answers.
Old 02-03-10, 08:51 PM   #4
G2B
XO

Downloads: 80

Welcome Aboard

I think it's Ctrl N that clears the weather up a bit.

I thought Neal was the SubSim Skipper

G2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 09:14 PM   #5
SubSim Skipper
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2B View Post

Hmm I hope I don't offend him, I didn't take the name for that reason, I noticed a lot of people have been banned (put in the brig?) and that you guys apparently also vote to ban others here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161181)....and since i just got here I certainly don't want to offend anyone...should I change my name? is that possible? I took it because I captain simulated submarines. It would certainly seem I don't want to offend anyone or have a different opinion.
Old 02-03-10, 09:25 PM   #6
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSim Skipper View Post
Hmm I hope I don't offend him, I didn't take the name for that reason, I noticed a lot of people have been banned (put in the brig?) and that you guys apparently also vote to ban others here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161181)....and since i just got here I certainly don't want to offend anyone...should I change my name? is that possible? I took it because I captain simulated submarines. It would certainly seem I don't want to offend anyone or have a different opinion.
I don't think you need to worry about Neal that much. He probably won't brig you just for the name. I believe he does have the ability to change your name, I think I've seen it done before.

As for that thread, that's not really typical behavior around here. The guy seems to have been in need of more attention and created a poll to ban himself. Do that, and Neal will bite. Obey the rules, listen to the moderators, and you'll do fine.

In regards to clearing the weather with Ctrl-N, make sure you are clear of any enemy shipping when you do it. Bad things can happen if they're nearby. I was in range of a destroyer one day, and when the fog magically went away, I had a pretty quick trip to the sea floor.
razark is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 10:14 PM   #7
G2B
XO

Downloads: 80

Quote:

It's a good Name just had to throw that comment in
We even had a recent member use Submarine, still can't believe that went unused for a long time.

razark is right about the fog thing, I was in the middle of a convoy, then I was in the middle of a convoy on the sea floor. But at least I could see who was shooting at me.

G2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 12:19 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

I too like your name. Any one whose initials are SS can't be all bad. Though I suppose yours could be construed as SSS, in which case you've been attacked by a u-boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2B View Post
Naw, Neal's the ONKEL!
Old 02-04-10, 03:38 AM   #9
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Oh and one other thing on the aspect of realism did the sub skippers actually have a book that they used that allowed them to judge the distance of a boat based on mast height?
Here is a page from the ONI Recognition manual.

Of course US Naval intelligence did not have exact measurements of all the ships in the IJN at the time. Often a skipper would guesstimate the mast height based on his experience, and dial that in.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 04:13 AM   #10
SubSim Skipper
Swabbie

Thank you everyone for all of your help, as a noob here it is very appreciated!
Old 02-06-10, 12:48 AM   #11
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Good name...You'll find a hundred tactics, so check out the Skipper bag of tricks at the top..sticky..

Yea, I seldom post in SH5 and almost got thrown in the brig, lol...so staying here where the water is calm.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 07:27 PM   #12
Cheesy
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
I had to look up the Sinko Maru, apparently it didn't.

Kev.
Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 05:23 AM   #13
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
I had to look up the Sinko Maru, apparently it didn't
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote