SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-17-09, 06:24 PM   #1
Submarine
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Hardware for Sub Sims?

Are there any specially designed joysticks or hardware for sub simulators?

Has anyone ever tried setting up a configuration besides the dreaded mouse and keyboard? I was looking for a more realistic experience .
Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 06:42 PM   #2
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

Welcome Aboard.

Not that I know of - though I do remember SS2 you could control with a joystick if memory serves right. No real "flying" the sub, just simply rise, dive, port and starboard commands.

Sub simulations don't realy translate well to joystick because subs don't handle like a jet, or a car even. Though if someone did a modern sim and you had a helmsman station, you could use the joystick to follow the pipper to maintain depth and course. Can't say it would appeal to me, but some might like it.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 10:34 PM   #3
Submarine
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
Welcome Aboard.

Not that I know of - though I do remember SS2 you could control with a joystick if memory serves right. No real "flying" the sub, just simply rise, dive, port and starboard commands.

Sub simulations don't realy translate well to joystick because subs don't handle like a jet, or a car even. Though if someone did a modern sim and you had a helmsman station, you could use the joystick to follow the pipper to maintain depth and course. Can't say it would appeal to me, but some might like it.
I was thinking I could set up some commands on SH4 with a joystick.

I was thinking of using the throttle as a depth thing, move it father down to increase depth and etc.

Hotkey a few key commands to the buttons, and control periscopes and guns with the regular left right up down part, and selecting torpedo tubes with a button and firing them with the trigger.

Anyone think this could work? My joystick is over at my grandfathers so I can't try it right this moment.
Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 09:57 AM   #4
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Depends on your joystick. I use a Extreme 3d Pro and it might do what your talking about. Its a reasonable idea. If you have one that has a slew of buttons, and they are programmable, you could set it up so either an axis or a button would map to the appropriate button.

So instead of having to hit d for dive, map button 12 to d, and hit it. Definitely SHOULD work. Not sure about the throttle control, but if your programming app allows the mapping, you could have do it.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 10:01 AM   #5
Paulowanclift
Seaman

Downloads: 6

hmm wonder if I can get my G25 wheel to control a sub
Paulowanclift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 10:23 AM   #6
Submarine
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
Depends on your joystick. I use a Extreme 3d Pro and it might do what your talking about. Its a reasonable idea. If you have one that has a slew of buttons, and they are programmable, you could set it up so either an axis or a button would map to the appropriate button.

So instead of having to hit d for dive, map button 12 to d, and hit it. Definitely SHOULD work. Not sure about the throttle control, but if your programming app allows the mapping, you could have do it.
Oh a slew of buttons I have
Old 11-01-09, 09:50 PM   #7
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I wish there was a way to make each station in the room appear on a separate monitor with separate controls. But then again.. if we had that, we'd have a real Navy training simulator...