SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-10, 01:30 PM   #1
Rangoon
A-ganger

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Which fatigue model for GWX and SH3 commander

I'm a little confused on the fatigue models. The manual for GWX 3.0 recommends NOT using the GWX 24-hour in SH3 Commander, but I don't see that in the list. I see GWX 8-hour. So for the experience intended by GWX 3.0, should I choose:

Nothing (don't check the box)
Default SH3
GW/GWX 8 Hour

?

Thanks!

EDIT: The more I think about it, I believe for what I'm after I would leave it unchecked in SH3 Commander.

Last edited by Rangoon; 01-02-10 at 01:46 PM.
Rangoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 02:05 PM   #2
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

I use the no fatigue option. I hate micro-managing the crew and tucking them at night. I set up my crew for "battle stations" and leave them there until I need to move them if there are casualties or damage to the sub.
I got fed up very quickly in the stock game with crew fatigue, and GWX/SH3Commander was a godsend concerning crew fatigue.

The SH4 crew management was a breath of fresh air and I hope SH5 is modeled similarly.

Welcome aboard!
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 02:36 PM   #3
Dissaray
中国水兵

Downloads: 35

The no fatigue modle is the best one as far as the SH3 Commander options go I think. The stock setings are just a little odd if you ask me in terms of the ammount of time the crew stays on station befor they have have to be rotated out. On top of that it is kind of a pain having to manulay move every one around like they don't know when they are too tierd to keep doing thier job.

Don't quote me on this but I think I remember seeing the the GWX 3 gold manual, the one that is created when the mod is installed, that they also recomend the no fatigue moddle.
Dissaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 02:57 PM   #4
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Hello !

I also use the "no fatigue" option in SH3 Commander. Finally, I as a captain can not monitor the observance of pauses of my crew...

Best regards,
Magic
Old 01-02-10, 03:11 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I also use the 'no fatigue' version for similar reasons to sharkbit.

In tc above x32 the fatigue model stops working irregardless of what you choose.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 05:36 PM   #6
Rangoon
A-ganger

Thanks - that all makes sense. I haven't played enough yet to really see how it plays out through an entire patrol. From what you're all saying it sounds like it's not worth the trouble.
Old 01-02-10, 05:42 PM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
Thanks - that all makes sense. I haven't played enough yet to really see how it plays out through an entire patrol. From what you're all saying it sounds like it's not worth the trouble.
It depends on what your gaming preferences are. Some like to micro manage they're crew and others see it as a form of hassle.

To each they're own.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 05:32 PM   #8
Rangoon
A-ganger

Right. I realized that this is something I can change on a patrol-to-patrol basis, so I've been bouncing back and forth between No Fatigue and leaving it blank (using default GWX 3.0 fatigue). Jury is still out for me, but it's nice having the options. It does add another level of management depth for timing your actions, but also adds the micromanagement hassle. So far I've enjoyed both sides of that coin at different times.
Old 01-04-10, 09:24 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm one of those who uses the '8-Hour' fatigue model, not because I want to but because some weird inner voice keeps making me feel guilty if I don't. I also set the animations level so they fatigue no matter how high I set the time compression.

Something about dropping to 1x TC every four hours makes me feel like I'm somehow doing my duty to my crew. Weird, huh?

I too think that SH4 is a vast improvement in that area.
Old 01-05-10, 04:57 PM   #10
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3

S S; uh yeah it is nuts.
Frack fatigue, not the CO's job anyhow. A complete waist of time and Bullcrap feature in this game.
Old 01-05-10, 09:12 PM   #11
Gaijin
Helmsman

Downloads: 20

I use GWX 8 hour, for same reasons as above. Don't want to micro manage... but at same time, don't want a crew of robots either.

Always thought that morale V fatigue should play a bigger role in the game. As in, a big successful sinking gives the crew an extra boost while a sustained depth charging takes it toll.

That and stale air. And bad food after several weeks at sea.

And as for Bernard's farts...

SH3 1.4/GWX Gold/SH Commander Thallium/84% Realism
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 01:59 AM   #12
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 117

Just my two cents, but on the rare occasions that I get to patrol a bit, I use the GWX 8-hour fatigue model for the reasons you've both stated.

I just don't feel right with a crew that is impervious to the rigors of the sea.

As you say. It removes on of the few human elements from the experience.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 01:17 PM   #13
Rangoon
A-ganger

Thanks for the input, guys.

What is the difference between the stock GWX settings (i.e. NOT checking the fatigue box in SH3 Commander) and the GWX 8 hour settings? I don't recall seeing that in either documentation. Am I correct that the stock GWX 3.0 fatigue is different from GWX 8 hour? Or are they one in the same?

The more I play, the more I do use the fatigue (been using stock GWX 3.0 fatigue). Last night I was dueling with a British ASW Trawler in shallow water near the English Channel in my Type IIa. The entire engagement lasted about 8-10 hours from the time I spotted him to the time he was sitting at the bottom of the Channel. Throughout the engagement, many of my crew became critically fatigued. Even with a fully crewed torpedo station, nobody was loading torpedos due to fatigue (yes, I had fired three already and couldn't afford to stay silent any longer).

It was actually fun to sort out how to manage the crew in that scenario because I needed everybody! I like that time compression above 32x has no effect on fatigue. During normal cruise operations, it's not hard for the crew to get their rest without me babysitting them. It only becomes a factor for the captain during drawn-out engagements where decisions need to be made about who can rest and who needs to be on station. For now I'm going to keep using fatigue of some sort.

p.s. Kpt. Lehmann I have to say it - thanks for all your work on GWX. I just picked up SH3 and SH4 through Steam and am glad I decided to play through SH3 with GWX before getting to SH4. I'm having a great time with it and GWX is a huge factor in that. Appreciate all the work by you and the GW team.
Old 01-06-10, 02:34 PM   #14
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
What is the difference between the stock GWX settings (i.e. NOT checking the fatigue box in SH3 Commander) and the GWX 8 hour settings? I don't recall seeing that in either documentation. Am I correct that the stock GWX 3.0 fatigue is different from GWX 8 hour?Or are they one in the same?
I'm not sure myself. I've fallen into the habit of trusting Commander for everything.

Quote:
Last night I was dueling with a British ASW Trawler in shallow water near the English Channel in my Type IIa. The entire engagement lasted about 8-10 hours from the time I spotted him to the time he was sitting at the bottom of the Channel.
That sounds like one hell of a fight.

Quote:
It was actually fun to sort out how to manage the crew in that scenario because I needed everybody! I like that time compression above 32x has no effect on fatigue.
I actually used Commander to change it so my crew fatigues at any TC. In a Type II it becomes very hard to keep them going when the weather is bad and they need to be changed every two hours, and there aren't enough. I understand that as they gain experience they last longer and need less help, but I've never played that far into a career.

One of the realism rules I hold myself to is the fact that they never reloaded torpedoes while in combat. Steep dive and rise angle while being pursued can play havoc with a torpedo that weighs about a ton. I don't use Auto Reload, and don't even put the men in the torpedo room until I'm done fighting and in a position to load them safely.

Quote:
am glad I decided to play through SH3 with GWX before getting to SH4
You made a good choice. My favorite part about GWX is all the extras. Some people label it "eye candy", but I love the harbors filled with ships. I always depart and return in real time, just to look at the stuff. Then there's the blimps...

On the other hand, one of the things that SH4 actually fixed is the way crew management works. The have three shifts, and they change themselves. I play both myself, back and forth, back and forth...
Old 01-06-10, 02:55 PM   #15
Rangoon
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
That sounds like one hell of a fight.
Well, given my lack of experience, I'm sure it could have gone smoother. I spotted him 14km out and figured I could sneak into position. I remained surfaced in order to plot his course and determine his speed. Just as I was about to head to periscope depth (since he was basically heading my way and I could sit and wait) at about 7km, I saw him turn toward me. Well I underestimated both his detection range and his ability to locate me below the surface. It wasn't long before he made his first depth charge run - directly over head, but detonating too shallow. It took some time to confuse him enough to maneuver out to 1km again, where I took my first torpedo shot. Missed because he saw me again and maneuvered. Again, it took some time to out-maneuver him for a second shot, which hit the engine and disabled him. A third torpedo shot either missed or was a dud (I thought I heard an explosion, but saw nothing and he continued to float). I waited a while to see if he was flooding, but must have had it under control so I launched a fourth which hit and sunk him. It was an ordeal. I must have heard three dozen depth charges go off, and a few of them did cause minor damage. The crew was exhausted.

Quote:
I actually used Commander to change it so my crew fatigues at any TC.
Yeah, I had considered that, too. But haven't done so, just figuring while I'm in transit at high TC, they're taking care of themselves well enough. The flip side is that those in quarters during high TC are not recuperating. So it makes sense both ways. I'll probably give that a try.

Quote:
One of the realism rules I hold myself to is the fact that they never reloaded torpedoes while in combat. Steep dive and rise angle while being pursued can play havoc with a torpedo that weighs about a ton. I don't use Auto Reload, and don't even put the men in the torpedo room until I'm done fighting and in a position to load them safely.
I see what you mean. I didn't reload any tubes until I had emptied all three and saw him still sitting there. So I sat still and reloaded - putting my most rested crew to the torpedo room.

However, if you don't put anyone into the torpedo room, doesn't that increase your chance for duds and such? Or do you mean you fire the torpedoes and then remove the crew right away? I don't know myself whether you can even fire torpedos without crew in the torpedo room, so maybe the answer to my question is obvious.