SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-17, 11:21 PM   #1
MKalafatas
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Noob help with JSGME & mods

I'm not really a noob. Played this game a lot in 2013 with TMO & RSRDC on a Windows Vista machine, but now using a Windows 8 box, having problems with mod installations.

First question: Is it even possible to run a stock 1.5 version of SH4 on a Windows 8 machine with mods?

Second question: What are the latest versions of JSGME, TMO, and RSRDC? Will they still work together? Anything special I need to know? Anything new since 2013?

I've honestly forgotten everything I once knew, except for the fact that I loved the game. Thanks in advance for any help, links, advice you can tender!
Old 05-15-17, 11:42 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Well, yes, of course you can run Silent Hunter 4 with mods in Windows 8. It's just that Windows has added just a few more "features" to protect the operating system than what Vista had. It's not a whole lot different from Vista. Don't install the game into a "protected" system folder, which includes avoiding the Program Files (x86) folder. If you've already installed in there, you should be able to copy the Ubisoft structure and the game below it over to either the root, or to another folder of your own creation. That will allow the mods to alter the game. You should also run the SH4.exe as Administrator. For a lot of folks, we have to set our computer's display to the same resolution as the monitor, which is the "native" resolution of the monitor. On my computer, the screens are 1280x1024 @ 72 hertz, so the computer is set that way, and I have my game set to the same resolution. So folks have to jump through a few more hoops and set the SH4.exe Properties, Compatibility page to "Disable scaling on high DPI settings", in addition to the "Run this program as an Administrator". I don't have that issue, since my computer can't display above what the game can.

JSGME is v2.6 - (pay attention to folder structure, as noted in the JSGME ReadMe and/or instructions), TMO is 2.5 plus a patch, RSRDC is v5(??) plus a patch. (I never did quite follow lurker's numbering convention, but I'm sure it made sense.) Bleiente has a mix creation of his own using those two mods in Ralles RealModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC, and there's our team's attempt at updating the AOTD_MadMax team's Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, plus a myriad other mods, including modern sub updates, from post-war to cold war periods and beyond... cool beans, man.

"...and bollocks to the naysayers" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 11:44 PM   #3
shamanscott
Watch

Downloads: 168

Go to this thread 1st to set up your game correctly !!!!! and yes many mods still work together.. latest is TMO 2.5 i believe..... you can find that info in the mod forums tho..

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...35#post2452635
shamanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 07:30 AM   #4
MKalafatas
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 30

Thanks so much for the helpful replies. I would've wasted a week on the system folder issue alone.