SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-01-16, 02:43 AM   #1
askir
Nub

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0
Default some newbie problems

Hi all,

I just got SH4 some days ago, and can't believe I only discover it now ! It's such a nice game.
However, being new to the game there is quite a lot of things I don't really understand, and it seems there's a lot to learn (though spending lots of time on paper and calculations and this ending up in a hit is a nice feeling).
I have 2 questions that are bug-related, maybe.

Firstly on German u-boots, there is an inconsistency on the reading of the gyroangle and the angle indicated in the periscopes. Only the 0degrees are the same ! Is this normal ? If not, which one should I use ?

My second problem needs a little introduction. I began to install some mods
(Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1 +Webster's Improved US Torpedo v3) and later installed TMO. In my first games I had this great wind rose centered around my submarine, I loved it instantly. After some games it disappeared on the axis side ... while it works (still) for the US submarines. I restored the game cache, unistalled Game Fixes and Improved torpedo, but the bug still remains... Any idea as to how to fix it ?

I'd prefer to play the axis so it's actually a problem for me
Askir

PS: is it possible to enter manually a speed and not to wait for 2 distance measurements so as to compute the speed for u-boots ?
askir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 04:37 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > askir
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS

These principals work for any SH version.
Post #35 How To Calculate A Targets Speed By Using The Periscope Cross Hair

Post #38
Finding The Target’s Speed 3 Minutes And 15 Seconds Method.

The gyro angle will be determined by the torpedo speed, target's speed, and the range to the target.
The slower the torpedo the the wider degree angle from 0 in the Periscope bearing will be seen in the gyro angle dials.
The further distance you are from the target
the wider degree angle from 0 in the Periscope bearing.
With German u-boats when you lock on to a target the bearing and the AOB automatically update.
The target's speed and the range to the target are not automatically updated.
I have never played the German side in SH4 only American which the American TDC was capable of calculating all the data needed.

In this tutorial the principal is the same for any game version.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 09:19 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

askir!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 11:16 AM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Welcome aboard!
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 01:37 PM   #5
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

welcome

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 03:42 PM   #6
askir
Nub

thanks Also thanks on the infos concerning the TDC, it was really interesting, even though it doesn't exactly answer my questions. Guess I'm gonna try to reinstall the whole game, maybe that will solve my u-boot problem

Last edited by askir; 07-01-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 07:23 PM   #7
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by askir
My second problem needs a little introduction. I began to install some mods
(Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1 +Webster's Improved US Torpedo v3) and later installed TMO. In my first games I had this great wind rose centered around my submarine, I loved it instantly. After some games it disappeared on the axis side ... while it works (still) for the US submarines

I'd prefer to play the axis so it's actually a problem for me
You apparently still have "activated" in JSGME Websters mods, and apparently TMO. If you're wanting to play the German side of things I wouldn't use either!! Both mods are pretty much modifying the American side of things....not the U-Boats.

If you like the German U-Boats within SH4, use a mod called Operation Monsun v705 found HERE. There are several uploads for it to bring it up to full potential....reading the complete thread you'll find the basic mods to activate are:

OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch 5

If you want to add even more content, your downloaded mods should have this order in JSGME's "Activation" list:

OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch 5
OMEGU v300
OMEGU v300 Patch 7

This is probably your best modifications for playing a German side in Sh4. You can either use the links found at the bottom of the thread I gave you, or use the "Downloads" menu at the top of this SubSim page...go to SH4 mods/ Mega-Mods to find all the Operation Monsun mods.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 07:47 PM   #8
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Welcome aboard askir!

We here at Subsim are always like to harass, I mean help the new captains.

There is an issue with accuracy on the markings on the periscope for the fleetboats, I assume the u-boats have the same problem. Optical Targeting Correction explains the problem and fixes it, among other inconsistencies. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3333

Good advice from Scurvy. Operation Monsoon introduces an Atlantic campaign. Very well done.

Now go outside and check for air leaks.
Old 07-02-16, 02:08 PM   #9
askir
Nub

Hey,

Thanks a lot, that helps a lot (also the order of install of the mods!) !!
I'll try those mods as soon as possible Maybe I'll finally be able to hit something with u-boots now haha
Should I install the optical targeting correction mod after all the rest or is the order important ?
Old 07-03-16, 12:39 PM   #10
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by askir View Post
Hey,

Thanks a lot, that helps a lot (also the order of install of the mods!) !!
I'll try those mods as soon as possible Maybe I'll finally be able to hit something with u-boots now haha
Should I install the optical targeting correction mod after all the rest or is the order important ?
The order is important because one mod will over-write the changes another mod makes. Go with the super mod of choice first, then any updates for it. Then install the larger mods, for instance OTC. Then go with the individual tweaking mods. Always completely read any documentation that comes with the mods. I believe TMO interferes with Operation Monsoon and will cause problems. I don't know what effect RSRDC will have on Operation Monsoon as it is written strictly for the American Pacific campaign.