SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-15, 02:29 PM   #1
Akula17024
Sailor man

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Default PLEASE HELP ME!!!! RE. LOST CAREER

I have not played in almost a year and for some reason when I loaded up SH3 none of my career are available! Any help recovering these would be appreciated! I am using GWX and Commander.

Thanks in advance!!
Akula17024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 05:10 PM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 590
Uploads: 30

HI THERE HAVE YOU USED ANY MODS IN YOUR GAME A YEAR AGO & ARE NOT ACTIVE NOW WHEN YOU REACTIVE YOUR CAMPAIGN GAME YOU HAVE TO HAVE SAME MOD SETUP & IN THE SAME ORDER OR IT CRASHES IVE HAD EXPERIANCE OF THIS AT THE STEEL SHARKS MAKE A COPY OF YOUR SH3 FOLDER IN YOUR DOCUMENTS WHERE YOUR CAMPAIGN CAREER IS BEST TO HAVE A BACKUP
IF YOU CANT REMEMBER ALL YOUR MODS YOU USED TRY THIS JUST RUN YOU CAMPAIGN WITHOUT THE COMMANDER MOD JUST RUN YOUR SH3/GWX
& SEE IF THAT WORKS IF IT DOES & YOU CAN GET IN YOUR GAME & YOUR IN MID PATROL OR IN PORT SAVE THEN EXIT THEN RESTART BUT THIS TIME WITH THE COMMANDER MOD

HOPE THIS HELPS
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 05:20 PM   #3
Akula17024
Sailor man

Thanks for the help! My Mods are exactly the same....I have not touched JGSME since the last time I played. I know what issue you are talking about....my comp is not crashing it is just not showing my past career when you go in to the career section of SH3 or Commander.

Thanks! This really has me baffled. None of the files relating to SH3 or any mods have been touched since the last time I played. It is odd because all of my past careers are gone????
Old 12-20-15, 06:22 PM   #4
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

IN YOUR SH3 CARRIERS SAVES FOLDER IN YOUR DOCUMENTS WHEN YOU CLICK ON DATA CONFIG CARRIERS DO YOUR UBOAT KAPITANS SHOW UP IN NAMED FOLDERS
WITH YOUR UBOATS KAPITANS NAME IF THERES NO KAPITANS FOLDERS THERE THEN YOU'LL HAVE TO START AGAIN I KNOW IT SUCKS
WHEN YOUR UPTO MAY-1944 & YOU STARTED IN SEPT-1939 40 PATROLS PLUS
ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR SH3 FOLDER THEN YOU HAVE A FALL BACK
IF YOUR CARRIER TAKES A DUMP
Old 12-20-15, 06:46 PM   #5
Akula17024
Sailor man

I went to data then cfg file and there is no file named carrier at all. Is there any way to bring it back with commander? and if not....when I start a new career will this carrier file get created again?

FYI i was about 114 months into my career like you were referring to.

Thanks for your help on this!!! Really appreciate it!!
Old 12-20-15, 07:26 PM   #6
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

IF IT DONT SHOW UP THEN ITS LOST UNLESS YOU HAVE SAVED YOUR SH3 FOLDER ON USB DRIVE OR ITS SAVED SOMEWHERE ELSE

STARTING AGAIN
RUN STOCK GAME FIRST THEN IT CREATES YOUR NEW SH3 CARRIER FOLDER THEN RUN COMMANDER MOD WHEN YOU SETUP YOUR NEW KAPITAN & PICK YOUR CREW & SET UP COMMANDER MOD WHEN YOU CHANGE ANY SETTING IN THE COMMANDER MOD ALWAYS CLICK APPLY
FOR EACH SETTING YOU CHANGE EG WAVE HIEGHT SEASONAL CLICK APPLY DAYS IN PORT IF YOU CHANGE IT FROM 28 DAYS YOU NEED TO CLICK APPLY YOU ALWAYS START ON FIRST OF MONTH WHAT EVER YEAR YOU START ALSO NEVER SAVE YOUR GAME SUBMERGED OR NEAR LAND
ANOTHER TIP SAVE YOUR GAME EVERY 2 DAYS OF CAMPAIGN GAME SAVE NAME YOUR WARDATE OF THAT SAVE 10-9-39 SO YOU KNOW WHAT WARDATE THAT SAVE EQUATES TO

REGARDS Blackswan40 HAPPY HUNTING

PS WELCOME BACK
Old 12-22-15, 10:43 AM   #7
Akula17024
Sailor man

Thanks for the help......I might just move on to SH4 I am so pissed. So many bugs with this damn game.

Thanks again....you have always been a great help now and in the past! Thanks!
Old 12-22-15, 02:06 PM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303

When the game is shutdown:
In Documents\SH3\data\cfg\Careers locate the folder of the Commander's name that has the campaign/patrol that you want to play. Then change the name of the folder by adding a character to it. After you start the game the savegame levels should show up again.

The name may look odd but it's known to work retrieving games that have vanished.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 02:57 PM   #9
Akula17024
Sailor man

For some reason the career file no longer exists. It worked fine last time I played????
Old 12-23-15, 12:39 PM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Sorry, then I don't know what else can be done. The SH3 folder in Documents, or it's subfolders, doesn't disappear by itself. There must have been an accidental deletion, or the folder was dragged into some other place by accident. I suggest you search on your c-drive for the name of your commander or likely names you used for the savegames. If it was deleted then it is probably not inside the recycle bin anymore. I hope you made backups.
Old 12-23-15, 12:53 PM   #11
Akula17024
Sailor man

I was looking in the wrong folder...just realized to go to documents/sh3/data/cfg/career....I was going straight to c/sh3 etc etc....but anyways the career folder in documents is empty. I just dont understand why this happened. I have not touched any file relating to sh3 since the last time I played and no one else uses this comp. Very disapointed. How can it just disappear on its own? I hate all the bugs this game has!!!
Old 12-23-15, 01:17 PM   #12
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Do you happen to have a normal user account? If so, when you run the game as administrator then Windows substitutes the Documents folder of the chosen administrator account. Maybe those files are in that/his Documents folder.
Old 12-23-15, 01:19 PM   #13
Akula17024
Sailor man

No really following you?
Old 12-23-15, 06:25 PM   #14
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Are you the sole user on the computer? Can you install programs or change settings of the OS that have a shield symbol in the icon? Or does Windows User Account Control ask you for a password of a different user account?

If you are the only person that logs in on the computer then you probably have administrative rights on the computer. The first user account created when Windows is installed allways is. In that case my earlier question is moot.

On my pc, the first user account created when installing Windows I called admin and is obviously an administrative account for technical/maintenance tasks. With that I created a normal user account for my daily use that cannot do scary things on my computer that has those shield symbols on icons. Some may think it does not prevent malware from doing bad stuff on my pc, but I maintain it as a first line of defense for that, or myself doing silly stuff late in the night that I will regret later. It just has the drawback that I need to enter a password of the admin account when I need to do maintenance tasks on the pc.

If that does not ring a bell then forget what I asked.
Old 12-23-15, 07:14 PM   #15
Akula17024
Sailor man

Ok yeah I understand what you are saying noe...I am the admin/ only user of this comp. Completely understand what you meant earlier.