SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-15, 07:49 PM   #1
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586
Uploads: 0
Default who thinks a World War Total War would be cool?

hey guys, I love the Total War series, my current favorites are Empire and Napoleon, but Ive been thinking it would be neat to see a World War total war, here's my idea of hat it would be like. The game would take place from January, 1900 through December ,1945 and the map would include the continents, South America, North America, Europe, Asia and the Pacific, and there would be modern things of the time like battleships, cruisers, destroyers and submarines, plus historicle events like the Wright bros first flight and the Dreadnought. I don't have all the details worked out like how the subs would work or the Aircraft (also Aircraft Carriers should be included), but I would like to see a Total war game that takes place in the World War era, who else thinks this is a good idea?
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 09:49 PM   #2
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I don't think that the Total War system works in a post industrial revolution setting.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 09:58 PM   #3
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I think it could be done, but it'd require a lot of work and be rather outside of the standard Total War fare. I think the biggest problem would be scale, the sort of maneuver warfare that developed post-WWI would mean that you'd need massive battle maps in order to allow flanking maneuvers. Then you've got to figure out how you'd represent the air warfare side of things, you can bring in ground attack aircraft like any other RTS but things like air interdiction would be harder to replicate. I guess you could probably do it a bit like Wargame and have it as a strategic maplevel element only.

Then of course you've got the industry to support the war machine, and how to model submarine warfare (probably in a similar manner to the aerial interdiction and strategic bombing, strategic map level only) and of course have to make maps big enough for the shell lobbing battleships and carrier aircraft to feature in. I guess in a way it would be a little bit like Hearts of Iron crossed with Rise of Nations.

Do-able, but the hardware requirements would be crazy...and knowing our dear Total War developers, it'd probably be barely playable on launch.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 04:45 AM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I don't see how it would work in a Total War game without so many changes to the core mechanics that it should not even be called a Total War game anymore.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 05:40 AM   #5
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Plus WWI was a too complex period in terms of diplomacy, internal politics and the connection between the economy, while TW games usually either avoided or grossly dumbed down these mechanics.

A WWI Men of war, that would work a lot better.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 10:18 AM   #6
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
A WWI Men of war, that would work a lot better.
That takes me back...I wonder whether I still have the screenshots...

It wasn't exactly accurate because it was a very basic mod, but between it and the map I made, we managed to do a passable First World War battle...certainly in terms of casualties...

Although...casualties wise...I don't think anything, anything will beat that battle...Arclight, Raptor, Task Force and Hunter will know what I mean...for those who don't...here's a couple of screenshots:

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote