SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-02-15, 12:20 AM   #1
Cathy Howat
Sea Warrior

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Landing an Agent

First Patrol for the POLLOCK I get told to land an agent in Japan, how? Do I have to get up to a wharf and let him disembark. I imagine the Jap Navy might have something to say about that!
Cathy Howat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 12:48 AM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy Howat View Post
First Patrol for the POLLOCK I get told to land an agent in Japan, how? Do I have to get up to a wharf and let him disembark. I imagine the Jap Navy might have something to say about that!
You don't' have to dock at a pier to let him ashore. Just get close enough to the designated area and he, or his team departs on a rubber boat. But you have to get real close. Almost to the point where you are scraping bottom. Better to parallel the beach than nose in.

That being said, landing an agent in Japan proper is not a realistic mission at all. I've never read of such a mission. In WW2, the Germans did land some saboteurs ashore in New York and Florida, who has previously lived in the US, and could blend in. Given the racial situation in the US in 1942, I don't think there were too many Japanese-Americans available to do the same for us.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 01:04 AM   #3
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105

Hey Cathy here is a good link to ubi forums were Tamber198 and others in the community put a guide together for new captains. It is a good read and full of info.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...other-SH4-info

Fithah4
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 10:39 AM   #4
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default Fair warning......

When your agent is in the rubber dinghy don't panic when you hear the horrendous crunching noise should that dinghy bump into your submarine.

The devs overlooked the fact that the sound file for the dinghy bumping into something is the same sound file for a ship colliding with the sub. A horrendous oversight IMHO but we're stuck with it. That being said, it's just a minor immersion killer and only happens IF the rubber boat bumps into your sub. It does NOT cause damage.

I tried a couple of years ago to change that sound effect for the rubber boat (I found a sound file of a canoe hitting a dock, very soft 'bump' sound) but unfortunately it made the sound of ship collision the same (i.e. a soft 'bump' sound), kinda ridiculous but funny. Needless to say, I changed it back.

I'm not aware of any modder who addressed this. I don't think it can be done as I think the sound file for that particular action is hard-coded so to speak.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 01:03 AM   #5
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93

Definitely want to listen to Torp and parallel the beach... I decided to land an agent and managed to run aground well before hitting the objective... The admiralty was none to pleased that a veteran skipper had to scuttle his boat in Japanese waters.
Old 06-03-15, 08:22 AM   #6
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

It's not hard to avoid the collision with the raft. Approach the launch point submerged, turn parallel to the shore, come to a dead stop, and then surface. After the raft is launched. remain dead stopped and submerge. Only then should you start engines. You might need to go Back Slow to get away from the raft. Once clear you can turn away and continue your patrol. Nothing to it!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 12:01 PM   #7
SSI01
Loader

Downloads: 56

For a good sound effect, how about a loud, wet sort of rubbery squeak?
SSI01 is offline   Reply With Quote