SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-30-13, 04:50 PM   #1
dharthoorn
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default [SH4 Mod question] Super Sensor

So I'm playing the campaign and I have TMO installed.

My one and only gripe is; there are just WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to few battles and I do want to play the campaign and not a senseless string of sigle missions.

Hence I want to cheat a sensor that litterally detects all surface and air contacts in a 1000km radius and no boring realism of weeks without battle that make me fall asleep and tear my hair out. I'm balding enough as it is thanks very much.

I have the wonderful S3D editor installed and can modify the game's core files. In Data\Library\USSubparts there is the file Sensors_sub_US.sim and I can modify it. However, setting (Radar/Visual/Hydroponics/Sonar) sensors to ridiculous max ranges there (750.000) seems to do diddley squat because contacts still only show at 20kyds or so.

Anyone got any ideas to mod it properly?
Old 11-30-13, 06:29 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

First, welcome aboard! Now on to your post, the short answer is you can't. Now here's why. To minimize the amount of resources used by the game it only generates the actual ships up to a range of 20nm I believe it was. Likewise with depth, once a vessel passes 1650ft it removes it from the game.

Oh and hydroponics is growing plants in water, hydrophones are used to receive sound underwater.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-13, 07:37 PM   #3
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

You could go through each group and adjust the contact report settings for the same effect. As you recall in stock you get lots of contact reports, but you can set them to the point of watching each group move in basic real time.

Been so long, but you could open up what battles you want and do it with notepad. I can't remember the values, but seems they explain themselves. Seems 1 would work, but you'll have to test it or ask. Once you have it set you'll see a different icon showing the movement..

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-13, 08:01 PM   #4
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

If you really want to see some battles download the TMO compatible version of Run Silent Run Deep and hang around the Solomon's and Savo Island.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-13, 08:35 PM   #5
dharthoorn
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Arrrr I feared they would despawn or somesuch. In any case I ran into some task force of like 10 ships so I had my hands full.

Another thing, how can a fubuki destroyer survive more than direct 30 hits from my deck cannon? Even the weakest deck cannon *should* have pulverized it unless it has some ultra-secret alien Elerium alloy armor. Is this a TMO "fearure" to make the game harder? It's not the first time I see invincible behavior from puny destroyers.
Old 11-30-13, 08:52 PM   #6
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Welcome aboard dharthoorn! We finally have someone to take care of Cap Wernher's palm tree for him. He's been getting fussy over it lately.

Congratulations on installing TMO. Answer to your question about it, yes.
Ducimus set all the enemy AI to the highest level. The point of TMO is to make it more difficult. I understand it is at an unrealistic difficult level. I run TMO + RSRDC.

And stay way away from enemy planes in TMO. They will mess you up.
Old 12-01-13, 12:40 AM   #7
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
And stay way away from enemy planes in TMO. They will mess you up.
Trust him those planes are vicious. I've seen rabid pit bulls that were less likely to kill you then those planes.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 08:21 AM   #8
dharthoorn
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

After I installed TMO I decided to redo the sub school artillery training. Those planes sank me in under a minute.... The fighter planes are fodder but those 4-engined DC lobbers seem to have their armor upped or sth because they fly through my flak as if it's snowflakes. Again, not sure if I'm too happy with such an extreme upgrade but it *does* force me to dive i/o engage and seeing as it's a WW2 subsim I can live with that.
Old 12-01-13, 01:02 PM   #9
Anonymous4245
Watch

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharthoorn View Post
Arrrr I feared they would despawn or somesuch. In any case I ran into some task force of like 10 ships so I had my hands full.

Another thing, how can a fubuki destroyer survive more than direct 30 hits from my deck cannon? Even the weakest deck cannon *should* have pulverized it unless it has some ultra-secret alien Elerium alloy armor. Is this a TMO "fearure" to make the game harder? It's not the first time I see invincible behavior from puny destroyers.

Well to be fair

I think the Fubuki Class DDs were supposed to withstand atleast 5" Guns(correct me if I'm wrong)

So I highly doubt a 3" Gun can fiddle with it
Anonymous4245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 02:27 PM   #10
Rammstein0991
Engineer

Downloads: 164
SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous4245 View Post
Well to be fair

I think the Fubuki Class DDs were supposed to withstand atleast 5" Guns(correct me if I'm wrong)

So I highly doubt a 3" Gun can fiddle with it
To quote U-571 "That tub could take a hundred shells"
Rammstein0991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 02:37 PM   #11
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharthoorn View Post

It's been a long time since I played TMO without other mods, but you shouldn't be able to attack a DD on the surface and live, much less sink one.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 02:39 PM   #12
dharthoorn
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'd ram a torp up their propellers if only they wouldn't change course so often... Especially when they are guarding convoys/task forces. That sensor sweeping AI behavior I haven't seen properly implemented since Red Storm Rising way back when. The Dangerous Waters AI was such a letdown, AI wise. Not to mention the screaming lack of a proper campaign! Still praying to the subsim gods for a proper Red Storm Rising remake. The very idea makes me cry tears of joy in anticipation. Sorry, going off topic here...