SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-13, 12:12 PM   #1
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Default Where is Ducimus

Haven't seen him in awhile, checked and he hasn't been active since 9/12/12. I assume he's found another game to mod, just strange for him to be gone that long. Hope he's OK.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 01:36 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Not strange at all. I don't remember exactly where, but he said he was done modding, period, and he wouldn't be around much anymore.
Old 01-22-13, 02:09 PM   #3
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Yeah I seem to remember seeing that as well SS. I don't blame him, modding takes a lot out of a person. I hope he's doing well though.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 03:15 PM   #4
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

I don't think it was the modding itself that pissed him off, rather the people wanting more, wanting it different, and wanting it yesterday. I can't say I blame him, I've never modded more then an aircraft skin but I know that it's not nice to pester people - especially when they're doing you a favour.

It would be nice to see him around though.
Old 01-22-13, 06:39 PM   #5
u1950
Watch

Downloads: 41

+1
u1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 11:44 PM   #6
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Yes, it would be nice to see him around. I doubt he will ever want to mod SH4 again (and I don't blame him), but he should drop in and chat a while.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 11:46 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I don't think it was the modding itself that pissed him off, rather the people...
I didn't mention any reasons, just that he wasn't modding anymore.
Old 01-24-13, 06:55 AM   #8
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I don't think it was the modding itself that pissed him off, rather the people wanting more, wanting it different, and wanting it yesterday. I can't say I blame him, I've never modded more then an aircraft skin but I know that it's not nice to pester people - especially when they're doing you a favour.

It would be nice to see him around though.

i dont think its THAT as much as once you get that far into modding the game it loses something for you and the "fun" of playing the game as well as modding it is all gone. there is no secrets left to learn then playing the game isnt fun because all you can see is whats wrong and what needs to be fixed or changed so you cant enjoy the game for what it is anymore. he warned me about it and i wasnt sure he was right but soon enough i could see exactly what he was talking about so knowing too much about the game and how the files work )or dont work lol) takes all the enjoyment away. now add to that, what you mentioned about the agrivation of people demanding stuff all the time and i think all that together is why he "retired"

he is still around and i thought he was showing interest in sh5 for a while but he stated many times he was done with modding so we shouldnt ask for or expect any modding from him.
Old 01-24-13, 11:23 AM   #9
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I wish him Best of Luck in whatever he is doing today. He has my eternal gratitude for TMO in all of its iterations while certainly his insights and encyclopaedic knowledge of the US submarine war will be missed.

Good Hunting Ducimus.
Old 01-25-13, 09:02 PM   #10
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

I found a new hobby. Target shooting. Lots of fun, there is a bit of an art to it, and it gets one away from the computer, house, and out of doors. Also, its something that both my wife and I can do together. We go every week. So im also reloading our own ammo, which is an exacting hobby unto itself.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-13, 09:53 PM   #11
MarkCt
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 45

Funny how you picked a hobby just like Silent Hunter where your using something to shoot at something else......only the velocity is a little different. With today's ammo prices it's a good thing you load your own.

I just read your "everything I learned about modding". Sad that it's all true. I read these forums almost every day but still consider myself a noob. But coming from a Navy family and having served myself I can say there are not many games for us out there. So all I can say is thanks for taking a game that would have been sitting on my shelf collecting dust or being used as a coaster and transforming it into the best navel simulator of any kind.

Enjoy your new hobby for if anyone ever deserved it for what they went through its you.

For that.
MarkCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13, 01:00 AM   #12
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I found a new hobby. Target shooting. Lots of fun, there is a bit of an art to it, and it gets one away from the computer, house, and out of doors. Also, its something that both my wife and I can do together. We go every week. So im also reloading our own ammo, which is an exacting hobby unto itself.
It's good to do something in the outdoors; at least once in a while.

I used to reload and compete; mostly pistol and indoors. There aren't many good places to shoot around here. I am guessing you have much better ranges where you are. Most people living in Utah own firearms, don't they?

Anyway, nice to hear from ya!
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13, 06:26 AM   #13
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52

Greetings and salutations to you Ducimus. It's good to know that you are still kicking with your faculties intact. I can't relate enough appreciation for your diligent work with fixing Silent Hunter IV. You effectively turned another Ubisoft loser into a big winner. A fact that Ubi seems proficient at undervalueing. If it wasn't for your invaluable assistance, I would have shelved the thing long ago. Now it still holds the power to make me sweat during an attack run on a convoy.
Most sims out there can measure their age in dog years and then get put down. TMO made SHIV immortal.
I you sir.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13, 01:20 PM   #14
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Sounds like fun! I've been learning to make arrowheads myself and back at metal detecting.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13, 02:42 PM   #15
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I've been learning to make arrowheads myself and back at metal detecting.
What sort of arrowheads are you making?