Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-28-12, 07:09 PM   #1
DJRenegade
Watch

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default Thinking of making some tutorials

Hey guys,
Now that I have SH5 working reasonably well and im getting my practice in (its been a while since I played SH3 and due to it not wanting to work I decided to buy SH5 a few days ago) I was thinking of making a youtube series called "Silent Hunter V for Dummies" and was wondering what the most asked questions are that I could cover. I was thinking;

1) Installing MODs
.. and basically getting the game to work.
2) Manual TDC
.. all the tutorials I found were good but missed things that are probably obvious to you like setting the AOB, Port/Starboard is on the target not on you etc. I kept forgetting this anyway lol.
3) Basic Navigation
.. Will come higher up in the list, but explaining basic hotkeys and menus in the game.
4) Maybe Auto TDC
.. but I dont think I have even used it!
5) Crew Interaction
.. promotion points, moral etc.
6) Sub Orientation
.. What is where on the sub, why is it there and what does it do.
7) Ending the series with a full patrol maybe split between a few episodes.

It wouldn't necessarily be in this order, this is just what I was thinking from the top of my head so any other ideas would be appreciated. I will link Subsim.com in every video and direct them to a thread on here where I will list all mods I use, give the correct people credit for them etc and have it as a place for people to ask questions to me, or more likely you guys as im a noob compared to most of you :P

If this idea is stupid tell me also lol
DJRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 07:14 PM   #2
motorious
Watch

Downloads: 19
Default nice idea

Hi

That would be nice because im having difficulties linking JSGME to SH5. i made a topic on the SH5 mods page in the forum and this is my issue:

"I have downloaded JSGME 2.6, the downloaded file is a zipped file, i unzipped it and it showed a folder with all the JSGME files including the the JSGME.exe file. however i activate the mods using their instructions and i open the game but it doesnt actually work. none of the mods show up on the game.
I've checked tutorials that say JSGME must be installed, but their is no setup file in the JSGME folder that i downloaded, and i searched for it with no success.

Basically, I dont know how to link the JSGME.exe file to SH5 for the mods to work."

Thank you
motorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 07:24 PM   #3
DJRenegade
Watch

Hey motorious, the way I did it (there is another way) is I unzipped the JSGME file onto an area of my harddrive I wanted, lets use "My Documents" for now.

Goto the new folder you unzipped and find the JSGME.exe, Right click it and select "Send to -> Desktop (create Shortcut)"

Now go to the new shortcut on your desktop and right click -> properties.

There is a box labeled "Start In" in here you want to put the address to your SH5 installation folder (ie. "E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 5" but yours will be different so put whatever it is there and make sure it ends with "Silent Hunter 5")

Now open up your JSGME shortcut and let it install the MODS folder. now goto your Silent Hunter 5 installation and open the newly created MODS folder. Put all the unzipped mods in here and they should appear in JSGME
this is how I did it anyway.

Hope this helps

[EDIT] If the mod still isnt working but it appeared in JSGME, make sure it isnt a multi mod thing (basically a mod folder with multiple versions of the mod inside) if it is then pick the version you want and put it in the MODS folder, then get rid of the original multi mods folder.
Old 12-28-12, 10:04 PM   #4
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

What about ingame tutorials .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177725
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 05:24 AM   #5
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Hi DJRenegade

This is a great idea as tutorials vids will help all
You should also check Stoian's vids here.
The more the better

If possible, could you do one for how to install not only mods, but TDWs mods as his muti folders catch new users out.
Also - how to use his options.py would be good.

Anyway - looking forward to this and....

Film em all

oh, if you want to do some ingame tutorials - or vids of ingame tutorials, I can help if you like

Last edited by Trevally.; 12-29-12 at 12:41 PM.
Trevally. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 12:22 PM   #6
DJRenegade
Watch

Ingame tutorials sound good, will probably do that as I learn more about the game. I'm still pretty much a noob so im learning as I teach but thought having a show with a large variety of tutorials in one place would be good

Got my new recording software today so might have a practice at one or 2 of the tutorials so I can tweak the setup and start uploading in Jan when I get my new net

Keep the suggestions coming, hoping to use these as a foundation for my new youtube channel too
EDIT - Yea I used some of Stoian's tutorials when starting out lol he goes in depth on them with full realism and stuff, mine would be aimed at noobs like me then I will proabably make vids as and when they are suggested/asked for. Also will probably use some of the ingame tutorials (if its ok) for the vids like Manual TDC as it saves looking for a ship

I was thinking of doing Mod Highlights too, so when I get going and used to recording myself lol I will allow Mod creators to come forward (or I ask them lol), tell me what mod they want featuring and the main features of the mod and I will make a vid

Last edited by DJRenegade; 12-29-12 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-29-12, 08:32 PM   #7
DJRenegade
Watch

Hi guys, I did a test recording using the TDC Tutorial mission basically just to test the video quality, the size of the file, to make sure all the audio worked and check for lag.

At the moment I am rendering it in Sony Vegas and will upload to youtube for suggestions from you guys as soon as I can. My microphone is quiet and im talking crap but this was just so I could get my voice recorded and see what it sounds like. Its a little quiet too and this is due to me leaning into my screen to concentrate and ending up with my mic behind my head
I dont want critisism on how I carried out the mission or on what I am explaining, I just want it on the quality of the video

Cheers guys, video will follow.

P.S For a 10min long video my first attempt came out at 10.1GB my second at 14mins was a whopping 65GB!!! This one is 10mins long and actually captured my voice unlike the other 2 and came out at 8.7GB! What the heck! I hope Sony Vegas brings this down... A LOT!

[EDIT] tweaked some settings which will come into effect in the next video (and I like how this one turned out so I might do a rehersal Manual TDC tutorial tonight) and Sony Vegas managed to get the 8.7GB file down to 500MB with an increase in audio quality lol. However on the BT Fon hotspot I use it will take 160mins to upload , so link will be online tomorrow at some point.

Last edited by DJRenegade; 12-29-12 at 10:00 PM.