SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-11, 10:31 PM   #1
dreadedlyfe
Swabbie

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
Default reqpercoba

figured i might as well say hello. starting to get my feet wet in this sim, and hoping to get some help as i struggle through the growing pains. so far been reading post trying to glean some knowledge. that and watching videos, that is. anyways, off to make another iron bottom sound
dreadedlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 12:39 AM   #2
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

Welcome to the boat mate.

You've come to the right place.
You have questions, we have answers and sometimes they even make sense.

One thing I have found out about submarine warfare is, as a captain you really don't want to get your feet wet. Big trouble if they are.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 09:51 AM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

And salt water showers are REALLY lousy!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 04:00 PM   #4
dreadedlyfe
Swabbie

yeah salt water soaked dungarees suck, and the skipper gets his feet wet when he is up there with the rest of the bridge crew. at least he does unless he was issued officer only water repellant.

at any rate, trying to get mods in order, what fun. going to have RSRDc but am wallowing between RFB and TMO. also have the rising sun one on standby. any recommendations/ selling points toward either RFB or TMO from y'alls experience?

thanks for the welcome
Old 10-24-11, 09:20 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Actually I like RFB but absolutely HATE its plotting system. If you set the magnification too high, in effect, standing too close to the plotting table the contacts all disappear! As long as they are plotted as diamonds they are there. At the point where the stock game would plot them as ship silhouettes, RFB plots NOTHING!

The RFB guys also have no idea of the value of the attack map so have relegated it to a button on a specific button bar. It can be very hard to find when it should be accessible with a quick keyboard shortcut. They consciously chose to make actuating the attack map difficult because they think it is of no value.

The submarine and HUD are magnificent. The AI is stock. It's a very polished mod, but its emasculation of the navigation and attack maps make it something that I can't play for very long without my blood pressure rising. TMOplot mod will solve that when loaded over the top of RFB. TMOkeys loaded on top of RFB will give you the great TMO keyboard layout with RFB.

TMO, on the other hand has the best plotting system possible with the Silent Hunter game engine. There are no silhouettes. They are replaced by position points. There is no velocity vector so you cannot tell course and speed without plotting multiple timed positions. Visual positions are perfectly plotted and that is hokey but without modifying game code that's not fixable without killing more consequential features. If you have a sub with radar, the positions indicated on the real boat would be more accurate than the game's position because of binning of pixel size and position.

The enemy AI is more intelligent than stock and makes the game much more challenging. In connection with RSRD v502, TMO 2.2 is the state of the art for Silent Hunter 4.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 09:47 PM   #6
dreadedlyfe
Swabbie

well, you sold me. i worked the plot/ sat the stack(wrl-8)/ radar. was a plottin fool, lol.
Old 10-25-11, 07:32 AM   #7
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
In connection with RSRD v502, TMO 2.2 is the state of the art for Silent Hunter 4.
I have been playing in this configuration and it is my opinion too.
Daniel Prates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 04:44 PM   #8
EricW
Bosun

Downloads: 66

"The RFB guys also have no idea of the value of the attack map so have relegated it to a button on a specific button bar. It can be very hard to find when it should be accessible with a quick keyboard shortcut. They consciously chose to make actuating the attack map difficult because they think it is of no value".

I never use it myself.......what IS it good for?
Am I missing something?
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 06:33 PM   #9
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 08:49 PM   #10
White Owl
Loader

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 2

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of these points. I haven't tried TMO myself, so may be mistaken...

Doesn't TMO give you an "identify ship" button, so you no longer need to flip through the book yourself?

I've read that in TMO the sonar works when the boat is surfaced, but in reality the sonar only works when the boat is submerged.

I've also read TMO unrealistically increases the range of the submarines. I've seen more than one quote like "you can easily go around the world on one tank of fuel."

When I was brand new to the game and trying to decide on TMO or RFB, those three points were my reasons for going with RFB. Everybody talks about the killer AI destroyers, and I'm sure they're tough, but the rest of the mod sounds like easy mode.

Dude, the ranting about the lack of an attack map hotkey... how difficult is it to set up your own keyboard hotkeys? Not very. I figure anybody who picks this game up and mods anything at all will pretty quickly have a customized keyboard layout.
"Ship?" he called. "Yup?" said the ship. "Do what I do." The ship thought about this for a few milliseconds and then, after double checking all the seals on its heavy duty bulkheads, it began slowly, inexorably, in the hazy blaze of its lights, to sink to the lowest depths.
White Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 09:20 PM   #11
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

As far as the ship ID in TMO, most of us long agreed that we tired of going through a book to ID ships that we all know by heart after playing. The fact is the ID is unrealistic, so most prefer to have a crew ID button.

Yes, the last few versions fuel isn't really an issue as it was before if you go the standard 9kts. Ducimas decided most would rather have speed, so if you use standard at about 15kts, fuel milage is about the same as when you got 9kts. If you use 9kts...you get far more milage than you should. It was just a change to get people faster through the map.

Nothing about TMO is really easy compared to the other mods....
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote