SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-09, 01:03 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default Going from XP to Win 7? Maybe not....

Move To Windows 7 Will Be Tough

Ok, so, XP forevah!! Rah!

Quote:
But Windows XP users, including the millions who have recently snapped up cheap, XP-powered netbooks, will first have to wipe out everything on their hard disks in order to install Windows 7. on their current machines. In fact, Microsoft doesn’t even call migrating to Windows 7 from XP an “upgrade.” It refers to it as a “clean install,” or a “custom installation.” This disk wipeout can be performed manually, or automatically during the Windows 7 installation process.

If you’re an XP user, the disk-wiping will cause you to lose your current file and folder organization, and all your programs, though not necessarily your personal data files themselves.

And the pain doesn’t end there. If you’re an XP user, moving to Windows 7 on your current computer means you will also have to re-install all your programs and restore all the software drivers for your printers and other add-on hardware. That could require locating the original program disks, or downloaded program installers, and then re-downloading and re-installing the numerous updates that have been issued since these original disks or installers came out.

And, there’s another problem: XP hardware drivers won’t work in Windows 7.....
Old 07-24-09, 01:09 PM   #2
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

Very Simple. Partition HDD and Dual Boot. I did and no problems for 2 months so far.

Use printer and other stuff on XP until you get the hang of Win7.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 01:09 PM   #3
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

MS is in a bad place IMO. IIRC, 6/10 businesses are passing on Win7. Vista has left the company with a terrible name. I think they could take a beating from the combined likes of Google, Apple, and the various free Linux distros. It's not a for sure thing, but they are in as shaky as a position as the have been since the early 1990s.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 01:18 PM   #4
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

I'd recommend you do this anyway. Upgrades never work right. Always some niggling bug left from the old install.

-S
Old 07-24-09, 01:41 PM   #5
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Sounds like Mr Mossberg is lazy man... The recommendation to buy a computer with Win 7 pre-installed to save the hassle seems like a pure plug for people selling this. And everyone knows that most such deals means they install a lot of crap on your computer as well, and that you then will spend time to get rid off it.

I did a clean install of Win 7 RC on a friends laptop yesterday and I was done in two hours maximum, and that included program installs and upgrades. The driver support seems excellent in Win 7 as it found and installed everything on its own. (Remember installing a clean copy of XP? now we are talking fiddling with drivers and software, especially if you had to start from a disc with no sp 1 & 2 included)

I never missed Xp a beat after moving to win 7, I skipped Vista though.

cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 01:58 PM   #6
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Bah.. there is an file transfer system you can use so to not lose all your stuff if you go from XP to 7. Yes, the hardware drivers wont work, but geez, I doubt anyone has like 20 different things plugged into their PCs?! It's not like it takes 2 weeks to get your drivers installed.

Still using a 7100 RC build and it's 90% of the time better than XP was.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:24 PM   #7
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphy View Post
Sounds like Mr Mossberg is lazy man... The recommendation to buy a computer with Win 7 pre-installed to save the hassle seems like a pure plug for people selling this. And everyone knows that most such deals means they install a lot of crap on your computer as well, and that you then will spend time to get rid off it.

I did a clean install of Win 7 RC on a friends laptop yesterday and I was done in two hours maximum, and that included program installs and upgrades. The driver support seems excellent in Win 7 as it found and installed everything on its own. (Remember installing a clean copy of XP? now we are talking fiddling with drivers and software, especially if you had to start from a disc with no sp 1 & 2 included)

I never missed Xp a beat after moving to win 7, I skipped Vista though.

cheers Porphy
Have to agree with you on the drivers. 7 had no problem installing all the drivers of all the printers on the network and for the PC. Of course my documents files were on the server.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 09:27 AM   #8
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0

From that point of view, moving from XP to XP is also a nightmare! When your installation goes crazy and the only solution is format, you have to install EVERYTHING again, drivers, software... unless you have an unattended XP.
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 08:08 AM   #9
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Who are these people who would even considering an upgrade?!?!

Always do clean installs...to great a chance of old junk or problems will follow...

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 05:47 PM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

After a couples of month with Vista, I have now W7

I can play all my old and all the new games i have, without any problems at all.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 03:44 PM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

A Windows to Help You Forget

So, to upgrade from XP, the easiest solution is buy a new HD, make it the master and slave the original with all my files, and format and load Win7 on the new HD. Voila!

Right?
Old 10-09-09, 05:14 PM   #12
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

I just hooked my new drive up to an available SATA port, formatted it, then moved it to the first port (where your main drive is now) and moved my main drive to the 2nd port and booted off the CD. no master slave stuff needed with SATA

I can access my data on the old drive, and if I want, swap the connectors and boot from it.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 06:09 PM   #13
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

If that wasn't bad enough then, there's this : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...612366420.html

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 07:25 PM   #14
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
A Windows to Help You Forget

So, to upgrade from XP, the easiest solution is buy a new HD, make it the master and slave the original with all my files, and format and load Win7 on the new HD. Voila!

Right?
IMHO, I would just back up data to an external hard drive (pretty cheap these days). Then reformat and load with Win7 from scratch, which has to be beter than trying an upgrade.

So are people going Win7 on Oct 22? I'd like to ditch XP if only to get recognition of more than ... what is it ... 3 MB RAM?
Old 10-09-09, 10:31 PM   #15
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert8for3 View Post
IMHO, I would just back up data to an external hard drive (pretty cheap these days). Then reformat and load with Win7 from scratch, which has to be beter than trying an upgrade.

That's what I'm saying, right? Just add a new HD, and load the full version of Win7. You don't need to back anything from your original HD, as longam says, you can still access the files.

Some long time back, on my old PC, my Windows was corrupted and the PC would not boot up. Tried a lot of things, but it would not boot up. So I bought a new, and much larger, HD, made it the master and slaved the original with all my files, and installed XP on the new HD. Computer worked great, all the programs on the old HD with corrupted Windows worked fine.