SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-09, 03:51 PM   #1
twexl
Electrician's Mate

Location: Portsmouth.England-20,000 leagues under the premiership
Downloads: 314
Uploads: 0
Default GWX 3 water texture

Hi,could do with some advice..I'm upgrading my pc and gonna do a fresh install of gwx 3. My question is ,is it possible to revert back to 2.1 water textures as i can't get used to the "creamy" type effect of 3.0.
Any advice appreciated.
Old 03-01-09, 04:58 PM   #2
Gumpy
Loader

Downloads: 255

After many experiments with different mod's this is the best water I could come up with for GWX 3.0. First install I made was Water_Stream_for_Uboats_V4 next OLC 16km Environment (High Detail) next Thomsen"s Water V3.1 and then for some reason to get the water stream mod to work right Racerboy_SH4_Effects_for_SH3_2_03 I dont know if you"ll have to use Racerboys effects mod to get your water stream mod to work ,but I did.The last thing I put in was Carotio_SH3-Seafloor2_256mb This environment looks the best on my system it doesn't have that smooth and creamy look to it,I hope this helped.
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 06:02 PM   #3
twexl
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpy
After many experiments with different mod's this is the best water I could come up with for GWX 3.0. First install I made was Water_Stream_for_Uboats_V4 next OLC 16km Environment (High Detail) next Thomsen"s Water V3.1 and then for some reason to get the water stream mod to work right Racerboy_SH4_Effects_for_SH3_2_03 I dont know if you"ll have to use Racerboys effects mod to get your water stream mod to work ,but I did.The last thing I put in was Carotio_SH3-Seafloor2_256mb This environment looks the best on my system it doesn't have that smooth and creamy look to it,I hope this helped.
thanks for that,a lot of stuff to consider,might have to stick with 2.1 thanks again..jimbuna,,,,,wooly.where art thou?
Old 03-01-09, 06:25 PM   #4
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Ummm here
But I know nothing of the sea textures
AFAIK Kpt Lehman intergrated OLCs work into GWX 3 so maybe he is the best to ask

One thing never messed with

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 07:59 PM   #5
IFRT-WHUFC
Engineer

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by twexl
Hi,could do with some advice..I'm upgrading my pc and gonna do a fresh install of gwx 3. My question is ,is it possible to revert back to 2.1 water textures as i can't get used to the "creamy" type effect of 3.0.
Any advice appreciated.
If you want to go back to GWX 2.1 water all you would need to do is copy the env folder and the scene.dat file and paste them into GWX 3.0 overwriting the newer GWX 3.0 ones!

ok
Rick
IFRT-WHUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 10:04 PM   #6
twexl
Electrician's Mate

Default ifrt

Thats probabably what i need to knowl...your a star .
Old 03-01-09, 10:21 PM   #7
twexl
Electrician's Mate

Will post results,back to the proper north sea.
Old 03-09-09, 02:24 PM   #8
evan82
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 197
Uploads: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRT-WHUFC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twexl
Any advice appreciated.
If you want to go back to GWX 2.1 water all you would need to do is copy the env folder and the scene.dat file and paste them into GWX 3.0 overwriting the newer GWX 3.0 ones!

ok
Rick
Maybe game will run good if He replace files, but maybe not, and then he lost many more settings from files because of changing files, not only TGA textures for ocean or settings. But I don't know changes between GWX versions described abowe.
Old 03-10-09, 09:17 AM   #9
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Maybe we should put these "water" mod possibilities through the mill and see which one is best. I for one use Manos Environment Pro 1.1 and find the water to be very very good. But I have also sinned and lusted after the water in WAC3 too.

I tried Thomsen's Water 1.1 but found it far too "choppy"....when in winds >= 12 MS it just doesn't look real to me. Mind you, in calmer waters it looks very nice.

I wish we had the SH4 Environment Pro boys here to share their experience.
Old 03-27-09, 06:05 PM   #10
twexl
Electrician's Mate

Default Water tex

All respect to the workers,but i just got a new grfx card ,now the sea looks like youghurt ,i dont want lose any enhancemancents but i want the sea back, I dont got 2.1 files so.."I'll stick to it"
Old 03-27-09, 06:13 PM   #11
twexl
Electrician's Mate

Nah i wont
Old 03-27-09, 06:37 PM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm using the GWX3 water as it is, and really like it.
Old 03-27-09, 09:05 PM   #13
mengle
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 127

im using WAC 3.0
mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 10:07 PM   #14
Otto Heinzmeir
Weps

Downloads: 2

Swapping out the scene.dat file can effect the ranges your watch crew sights targets. This is because various environments use different waves heights and/ or levels of light. The scene.dat file can effect how often the weather changes.

All the texture files seem to have the same names though. What you might consider is just swapping out the environment textures but leaving the original scene.dat file in place.

To me wave height and weather are paramount for game play. I have played in an environment that looked great but had constant fog and poor visibility. If the waves are too large your torpedoes are more apt to breech the surface in 15mps winds. I like an environment where the 15mps waves don't go over the conning tower for two reasons. It just looks bad having the waves roll over the watch crew while surfaced, and it won't have any torps running at 4.5m breech the waves. Since 15mps wind is fairly common, this helps make the game more playable.

I keep a log of the weather conditions whenever I launch an attack and note the wind speed when I surface, this helps to compare the effects of swapping out the scene.dat file.

Some of the environments are just gorgeous but the greens and blues look too bright to me. Bright colors look out of place in the Atlantic, especially during storms. I don't want to say what I use, because it really comes down to personal preferance. Just keep in mind that swapping out the scene.dat file may lead to a situation where your getting fired at from 500m in fog and your watch crew still hasn't spotted a target.

100% Realism DID + No God's Eye View____SH3 Commander Crew Rotation

Last edited by Otto Heinzmeir; 03-27-09 at 10:19 PM.
Otto Heinzmeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 10:44 PM   #15
rcjonessnp175
Weps

Downloads: 82

Right on. So im taking the env folder from wac 3.0 and the new scene.dat file from realatlantic version 2 and putting them in gwx 3.0 i guess ill see if she floats or not, if the scene.dat file goofs stuff up ill pull that out and leave the colors as from screenshots its a much better color in my opinion darker and such, not tropical looking.

Any advice or previous tests results with this configure please advise thanks

Jonesy

The mother ship,Coolermaster HAF, I7 intel overclock 4ghz, , 6gb mem, 5870 crossfire, soundblaster Xfi titanium , Oh and 52 inch samsung 750 120hz. 7.1 onkyo 1200 wattss system
rcjonessnp175 is offline   Reply With Quote