SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-09, 04:13 AM   #1
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1
Default Tales of Computer Dumbassery!

Here's my story.

So, around came the monthly dust & clean of my PC tower. No problem, I have done it a thousand times before.

After unplugging the multitude of USB cables, Cat5, Surround sound, Keyboard & Mouse, I proceeded to unlatch the tower casing. Egads! It was dusty as my Gran's knickers in there. No problem, out comes my air compressor.

All external case fans get blown through, Graphics cards, Sound Card, TV Card & RAM all get removed and air blasted. Then I notice the encrusted dust on my Heat Syncs for the CPU's. That won't do! After thrashing the wife to find where she put my Thermal Paste, I decided that they needed cleaning too. Now I don't know if you have ever cleaned a Heat Sync but it's a funny kind of dust that gathers there. The Air Compressor would not shift it. Damp cloth did.

While my Mobo was basically clear of all clutter, I passed my hoover (with soft brush attachment) over it to ensure all remaining crud was gone.

Finally happy with the cleanliness, I proceeded to rebuild the innards of my PC. Meh, no biggy, I could do it in my sleep. With my tower back together and all cables & peripherals connected again, it was time to fire the beast up and do my usual operating system clean & check.

Hit the button......

"No Video Input Detected"

Fe*k!

Ok, I thought, I had this before. The GFX cards need re-seating or the monitor cable isn't connected properly. Cable first.....nope, not that. *Sigh* Off comes the tower casing, remove GFX cards & re-seat. Happy that they are firmly seated, I replace the casing and power on again.

Double Fe*k!

Could I have fubar'd one of my GFX cards, either by static or too strong an air pressure? Remaining calm, I remembered that I have an unused/unpackaged ATi X800 sitting in a cupboard should my cards ever die on me. Card duly fitted. Confident in my smugness of always being prepared, I powered on again.

Arrrggggghhhhh!! Son of #*^@!

Smoke time!......

I knew my GFX card was good, I knew that I had put my hardware back together properly, I was sure that something else must have been causing the issue. What could it be?

In desperation, I started checking the unlikely things that couldn't possibly of caused my PC to loose it's display.

Working upwards:
Sound Card - Check
TV Card - Check
Network Card - Check
GFX Connections - Check
USB Cables - Check
Keyboard PS/2 & Mouse PS/2 - Check......wait! NO!......

Always ensure that your Keyboard & Mouse are connected to their correct ports!. It seems that getting them arse about face is not a good idea.