SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-11-08, 09:51 PM   #1
Silver_Silence
Seaman

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default I just got SH4 from a bargain bin n don't know what to expect

I just got a copy of SH4 gold edition from bargain bin and don't know what to expect. I know it's photo realistic compare to SH3 but players seem to favor SH3. Just when you want to move this thread to SH4, look I am not done with SH3 just yet heh. SH3 is great game. I figure the SH4 u-boat mission is SH3 with a graphic upgrade? Anyway I am install it right now just to make sure it can run on my laptop.

Last edited by Silver_Silence; 09-11-08 at 10:48 PM.
Silver_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 10:00 PM   #2
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

until GWX4 comes out you would do well to put it back in the bargain bin.
Old 09-11-08, 10:49 PM   #3
Silver_Silence
Seaman

Downloads: 6

So why do people like SH3 over SH4? SH4 is supposed to be newer and thus better.
Silver_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 11:52 PM   #4
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Graphically it's "better" by far. Crew Management it's better (kind of, I liked having to pick crew well in SH3, just not having to drag them all around every few minutes). Map tools it's better. UI it's slightly better.

But for me, the gameplay of SH3 is far better at this point. I'm not entirely sure why, but even with lesser graphics and a few missing features I enjoy SH3 more slightly. I think GWX is probably a lot of that though. And the fact that I enjoy the Uboat war more than the US sub war.

One small that that I can't seem to get to work right with SH4 is opening tubes. In SH3 I was always able to switch to the interior view, head to the weapons guy and actually flip the torpedo tube doors open from there. That was really cool. Can't seem to do that in SH4. Gameplay wise I can, but not in the new super duper 3D interior. *shrug*

Maybe when a fully supported Atlantic campaign with type VII boats comes out I'll be truely happy with SH4, but as it is now, not so much.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 12:23 AM   #5
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

SH3 is liked more due to it being more mature in having more mods and bigger upgrades for realism (There are plenty for SH4 as well, but it hasn't been around for as long to have the history of mods)

Sh4 is a great game and does beat SH3 in graphics and other realistic features, but It's hard to leave SH3 alone!

You should be able to play SH4 if your computer meets the basic specs required for the game, and you can scale the effects so it won't slow the game down too much (look in the Sh4 forum for tips to improve performance)

SH4 is well worth the effort and a great partner to SH3.
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 01:10 AM   #6
OuNiS
Engineer

Downloads: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Silence
So why do people like SH3 over SH4? SH4 is supposed to be newer and thus better.
Sometimes "newer" doesn't mean "better".
Old 09-12-08, 02:51 AM   #7
nirwana
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 17

The major differences regarding gameplay for me:
  • In sh3 the royal navy is able to counter the subs over time and finally develops superior hardware and tactics to neutralise them completely. I like to be the underdog in this confrontation and dont mind to herass mostly merchants.
  • In sh4 the japanese ignore the threat by subs and therefore never improved their defence against them like the british. I can sink multiple carriers in 1 taskforce without even being detected at any time of the war. TMO and RFB shift it into the right direction to a certain degree but cant ignore historic facts.
If u like to smash big stuff and dont mind to have the edge over the japanese at any time sh4 is ure choice. If u like challenges and love to think about the right tactic how to attack the next convoy 24/7 in RL sh3 is preferable.
nirwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 02:52 AM   #8
Myxale
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuNiS
Quote:
Sometimes "newer" doesn't mean "better".

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 03:26 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

SH3 is over 3 years old now and has had a great deal of modding work done to it.

SH4 is by far the newer/more modern engine and I believe we will see greater leaps and bounds over the next 3 years.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 03:40 AM   #10
OuNiS
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
SH3 is over 3 years old now and has had a great deal of modding work done to it.
I think in this case we can talk about absolute new product based on original SH3.
Old 09-12-08, 04:44 AM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

One of the things that might get missed is the interface. SH3 was the first subsim to have crew management, and while the management in SH4 is easier and more realistic, what with the rotating watch bills and all, the silly officer icons in SH3 just seem more personal, like you're communicating with your officers instead of just clicking on buttons. I also find the devolving buttons in SH4 to be slightly annoying, in that you can be operating the buttons from one station while you're actually still at another, and if you forget that it won't necessarily cause trouble but can still leave you confused.

I keep saying I'm waiting for more development before I'll play u-boats in SH4, but the simple fact is I like SH3's way of doing things better. I've heard that SH4 grows on you, but it's definitely going to take time.
Old 09-12-08, 05:37 AM   #12
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

Somehow my ego is pleased more when I hear "Jawohl!, Herr Kaleun", as opposed to something like a boring "Yes, Sir!!"
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 06:05 AM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Oh, no, don't get me started on that one. Oops, too late!:rotfl:

I killed that part as soon as I found out how. For most orders I didn't mind it, but after installing DBSM I found it most annoying to have the Chief calmly say "Jawohl!, Herr Kaleun", and then start screaming "Alaaaarm!"

SH4 is even worse. The OOD looks at you and says "Yes, Sir.", then repeats the order to a sailor who then also says "Yes, Sir." I really miss SH1 and even Destroyer Command; with both of those you would give an order and the response would be "All Ahead Full, Aye Sir!"

Like the man says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Old 09-12-08, 08:23 AM   #14
Flamingboat
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Honestly I love them both. I just couldn't pick a favorite. I do like the graphics on SH4 as I am a graphics whore. To get the full enjoyment out of SH4 you need a beefy system.
Old 09-12-08, 10:14 AM   #15
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
The user interface is just heaps better...

It's truly sad what they did (or neglected?) in SH4.
Graphics just can't overcome a poor user interface.