SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-11-23, 09:11 PM   #1
Captain Drastic
Sailor man

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0
Default CHATGPT FOR SH3 COMMANDER NIGHTCLUB

Greetings after 14 year silent run, but hey...

Here's something I did to have some variety in the nightclub conversations using SH3 Commander, although even that is not necessary.

CHATGPT can generate an entire nightclub scene for any specific date or period of the war. Example below:
[194008]

[The nightclub is dimly lit, with a jazz band playing in the background. The four Kriegsmarine officers are seated at a corner table, enjoying drinks and a rare moment of relaxation.]

Captain Heinrich von Müller: [Raising his glass] Gentlemen, to our victories at sea and the might of the Kriegsmarine!

[The officers raise their glasses and toast.]

Lieutenant Karl Becker: Hear, hear! It's been quite a year, hasn't it? The North Sea operations have been keeping us busy.

Lieutenant Commander Ernst Wagner: Indeed, Karl. Our U-boats have been striking fear into the hearts of the Royal Navy and their convoys. The Atlantic is proving to be a fertile hunting ground.

Lieutenant Franz Dietrich: [Nods] The convoy routes are their lifelines, and we are squeezing them hard. The supply lines to Britain are feeling the pinch.

Captain Heinrich von Müller: And don't forget the successes of the pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee in the South Atlantic. She certainly put a dent in British naval pride.

Lieutenant Karl Becker: [Grinning] And they've got those new aircraft carriers – the Ark Royal and Illustrious. Quite a challenge for our Luftwaffe, I'd say.

Lieutenant Commander Ernst Wagner: True, Karl, but our U-boats and surface raiders will continue to harass their convoys. The British can't protect every ship.

Lieutenant Franz Dietrich: [Looking pensive] Speaking of which, what do you think about Operation Sealion? Will we invade Britain this year?

Captain Heinrich von Müller: [Sighs] It's hard to say, Franz. The Luftwaffe is still hammering their airfields, but the Royal Navy remains a formidable adversary. If we do invade, it will be a tough fight.

Lieutenant Karl Becker: Well, I'm just glad to be in the Kriegsmarine. We're making our mark out there, one convoy at a time.

Lieutenant Commander Ernst Wagner: [Raises his glass] That's right, Karl. Let's continue to serve the Fatherland with honor and valor. And, of course, enjoy these brief respites when we can.

[The officers clink their glasses together, the jazz music playing in the background as they savor their drinks and camaraderie, knowing that the challenges of war are never far away.]
Captain Drastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-23, 01:12 PM   #2
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27

Very cool!

This kind of story adds immersion, and you also learn history at the same time!

A good thing would be to create some captains (real or imaginary) who tell stories about their war patrols (and not just random names). You could meet them again later in the war, and some of them would disappear (KIA, muted to another sector, or to a u-boat school to teach new recruits... or promoted to the BDU staff).
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-23, 03:30 PM   #3
Captain Drastic
Sailor man

Default Creating characters and war stories

Cool is correct! Sorry about going all caps but I'm used to that because of my aging visual problems.

The thing is that it is totally possible to generate both characters and stories using CHATGPT and then script it into the game using SH3 Commander and the template already given in the Nightclub file. I am in the process of creating a different nightclub for each port by using a selection of (for now) 50 songs taken from the yearly collections of hits available in the downloads section of the Silent Hunter III Mods. They have to be WAV files, and I just put them in the Nightclubs folder where they play randomly each time you go to the nightclub. But that's the lazy way, you could pick a different selection for each port. I selected some vintage photos (from a web search) of each port and use them when in that port. The custom conversations and characters could also be scripted for just that port too. All this requires is a separate file for each port. I'm just getting started on this, but the possibilites are awesome!
Old 09-12-23, 03:48 PM   #4
Captain Drastic
Sailor man

Default One more thing...

If you use the Commander format to script conversations the order of persons speaking is randomized every time, so the conversation would have to be very general in order to be acceptable.

You don't have to use SH3 Commander exclusively to have a nightclub experience, but it is convenient for generating random photos and music, and just have CHATGPT for the conversations and mood setting. Thankfully, Commander Nightclub doesn't use full screen, so anything else is done on the side, so to speak.
Old 09-12-23, 04:59 PM   #5
Hooston
Sparky

Downloads: 15
Default Realistic nightclub scene

[The nightclub is dimly lit. Deafeningly loud music blasts from the PA system. The dance floor is empty. A group of Kriegsmarine officers huddle at a corner table]
"Say Hans, what do you think of the Norway campaign"
"WHAT?"
"What do you think of the Norway campaign?"
"WHAT?"
"NORWAY"
"WHO?"

"WHAT DO YOU... oh never mind"

[An attractive waitress approaches the table, collecting glasses]
"What is a lovely girl like you doing in a place like this"
"WHAT?"
"YOU HAVE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EYES"
"GET LOST, LOSER"

[All conversation ends, and our naval heroes ponder how poorly equipped they are for the challenges ahead]
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-23, 05:09 PM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Drastic View Post
I am in the process of creating a different nightclub for each port by using a selection of (for now) 50 songs taken from the yearly collections of hits available in the downloads section of the Silent Hunter III Mods. They have to be WAV files, and I just put them in the Nightclubs folder where they play randomly each time you go to the nightclub. But that's the lazy way, you could pick a different selection for each port.

Nice

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-23, 05:35 PM   #7
Captain Drastic
Sailor man

Default Realistic Nightclub Stuff

If you had a real good time in the nightclub you might not remember it anyway!