SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-11, 04:57 PM   #1
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2
Default About the SH5 campaigns - what you like/dislike

Im curious to find out what you guys like/dislike in SH5 campaign. For example, among many others, my biggest frustration was generated by 3 missions: the carrier from TG, the BB from op. Weserubung and the 5 troop transport from Winstons special. Most stupid mission, hunting a HK group in BP. Most annoying campaign, MNostrum.

So how you imagine a good SH campaign, what was good, what can be improved etc.

/discuss
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 05:09 PM   #2
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedi View Post
Im curious to find out what you guys like/dislike in SH5 campaign. For example, among many others, my biggest frustration was generated by 3 missions: the carrier from TG, the BB from op. Weserubung and the 5 troop transport from Winstons special. Most stupid mission, hunting a HK group in BP. Most annoying campaign, MNostrum.

/discuss
I hope for long time that you start to rework the campaigns... make the same thing that you made for the last one... we really need a good campaign mod and you have the skils to make this mod - i can not tell you what i like or not because i am still in total germany... but the guys sh3 funs all time they say that the campaigns from sh5 are scrap and we are missing ships
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 05:39 PM   #3
Obelix
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 7

Zedi, you're absolutely right! Campaign in SH5 just crazy. I was particularly disappointed Mare Nostrum (back and forth through Gibraltar as on the avenue). A hunt for the destroyers - a general delirium!
In my understanding, the campaign requires a complete redesign.
Old 04-11-11, 06:30 PM   #4
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

My #1 issue from the very start was you are unable to select what Type U-Boat you command. When new boat becomes available, what Type is it? All you know is that a new boat is available, do you want to use it, Yes/No...

Then as I begin to research this a little, I am disturbed to find the lack of missions on a U-Boat Class/Flotilla basis. The Campaign has Specific Missions. Those Missions may or may not require special feature of a U-Boat, such as range ability. This prevents using, say, Type-II(When/If available) during the Western Approaches Date/Time era because no missions exits during that time that the Type-II class would be able to complete.

Re-Supply at sea(Why so stingy). Did Type-VII U-Boats really act as re-supply vessel for other Type-VII u-boats? Were these resupply U-Boats new skippers on training missions?
Maybe only use Surface Resupply Ships until after dates that the Type-XIV Milk Cows were deployed. My history knowlege is weak in this area but something does not seem right. If I use most of my fuel to deploy to patrol area, how is same clsss boat going to be waiting there with weapons and fuel for me?

Also, maybe contact Privateer for permission to use Type-XIV Milk Cow Model (AKA: Fat Bottom Girl) as AI-Resupply Vessel.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 06:33 PM   #5
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Unless you're order to support a special mission (Bismarck, Invasion of Norway, Drumbeat) the campaign goals should always be the same, IMO - sink merchant tonnage. As much as you can. The idea of sinking a specific type or number of ships is not really historical.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 06:39 PM   #6
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

What i like about the campaign in sh5 is that people can work on black may . Someone else can work on happy times etc .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 10:24 PM   #7
StarTrekMike
Navy Dude

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

I for one would love a reworked campaign, I think going to a SH3 style or even a SH4 style game would be best.

I like the special missions you get in SH4, they never seemed like a stupid use for a submarine to me and you could always go back to sinking tonnage after without feeling like you are not following what the game wants.

It would be nice if we just did not need to hunt warships...that is just silly.

Mike
Old 04-11-11, 10:35 PM   #8
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTrekMike View Post
I like the special missions you get in SH4, they never seemed like a stupid use for a submarine to me and you could always go back to sinking tonnage after without feeling like you are not following what the game wants.
Trouble with that, as far as the ATO is concerned, is historical accuracy, if one was to be overly concerned about it. Frankly, I have the impression all most people want from their Uboat game, is a set of grid coordinates.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 12:25 AM   #9
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Quote:
I for one would love a reworked campaign, I think going to a SH3 style or even a SH4 style game would be best.

Mike

I second that. Couldn't have said it better myself.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 01:36 AM   #10
Zedi
Sea Lord

I was expecting much more hate/passion over this subject as the campaign is the core of the game. Is what keep us playing or leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
I am disturbed to find the lack of missions on a U-Boat Class/Flotilla basis. The Campaign has Specific Missions. Those Missions may or may not require special feature of a U-Boat, such as range ability. This prevents using, say, Type-II(When/If available) during the Western Approaches Date/Time era because no missions exits during that time that the Type-II class would be able to complete.
Not sure I understand what you mean by flotilla basis missions. Its all about go out, sink stuff. Only Drumbeat was a special operation where you should have a special boat, the type IX.. but there is no such a boat in the game, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Re-Supply at sea(Why so stingy). Did Type-VII U-Boats really act as re-supply vessel for other Type-VII u-boats? Were these resupply U-Boats new skippers on training missions?
Maybe only use Surface Resupply Ships until after dates that the Type-XIV Milk Cows were deployed. My history knowlege is weak in this area but something does not seem right. If I use most of my fuel to deploy to patrol area, how is same clsss boat going to be waiting there with weapons and fuel for me?
Same thing.. we have only 2-3 type of boats modeled in the game, love it hate it. If anyone will manage to import or build ships for SH5, then we can talk about this subject in details. But replacing the u-boats with tankers is not a good option as they have a big chance to be destroyed by the enemy traffic before we meet them. They not just spawn in certain areas, they really live and sail, pls read further:

These days I found out why we have time by time issues with the resupply and tbh, it was a very nice surprise. If is anything brilliant in SH5, thats the campaign, its a really amazing piece of work.

The supply ships/milkcows are "living" things! That means, they patrol the sea for a very long time period and then head back to base for refit. This is the reason why many times the resupply is denied. If is no supply ship in the area, its logical to be denied on the resupply request, but if is one close enough you will have his coordinate.

There are about 3 supply ship constantly patrolling the seas trying to cover a huge map, they go from N Atlantic down to south, back in North Sea and return to base. And this sounds very realistic and historical to me. And do not forget, they can be eliminated by the enemy if they encounter a task force. And as far as I know, there were only 10 milkcows in ww2 and a couple of tankers, the most hunted ships in that era. So this part is not a bug, but a feature. A nice one.
Read more here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
What i like about the campaign in sh5 is that people can work on black may . Someone else can work on happy times etc .
Except Mare Nostrum. Reworking that campaign needs a team. The devs were very proud about that particular campaign as it show the power of the new dynamic campaign engine, but the goals are pulled of from a Hollywood script, not from reality. A single sub hunting Force XYZ is just hilarious. And thats all about in MN.

Quote:

Well, not sure which part are you talking abut. The stock campaign or the one from GWX. The stock campaign made me to drop SH3 just after few months. Go out and patrol 1 area for X hours is just .. boring. Do not forget, no campaign in SH5 is forcing you to complete it. None. If you feel like, just go out and patrol, the campaign will still complete and give you access to another one, with some exceptions.. for example to have acces to the Drumbeat campaign you need to finish all the missions in Western Approaches.

But thats correct, hunting capital ships is silly. If we encounter one and we engage it, should be our call, not a mission objective. Also hunting a particular ship in the world oceans.. thats just crazy. Is what Ive done in Open Horizons, remove every capital ship hunt and replacing them with missions more appropriate for a submarine. Hard ones that makes you bleed.

Just curious.. in Total Germany, instead of hunting a carrier in the middle of nowhere what would be a better option? Just having a tonnage mission in the same area?
Old 04-12-11, 01:54 AM   #11
Obelix
Seasoned Skipper

Uploads: 7

Quote:
I was expecting much more hate/passion over this subject as the campaign is the core of the game. Is what keep us playing or leaving.
For example, I simply weakly expressed his attitude to the campaign SH5. The whole campaign is complete nonsense, except, perhaps, the "Black May." I say again - the campaign must be completely rewritten from the beginning!
Old 04-12-11, 01:57 AM   #12
robbythesub
Captain

Downloads: 302

I think the Campaign area is superb, including mare nostrom, but I think that the objectives are rather ridiculous in terms of needing to sink 2 aircraft carriers, battleships etc.

The other issue which is generally missing in the game and was in SH3 too, is the receipt of radio messages, which I realise are historic, but meaningless in pursuit of the mission objectives.

I would find the receipt of orders that one has to act on during the campaign to be the most meaningful and realistic addition that could be made (in addition to the superb work done so far).

robbythesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 02:21 AM   #13
Zedi
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbythesub View Post

The other issue which is generally missing in the game and was in SH3 too, is the receipt of radio messages, which I realise are historic, but meaningless in pursuit of the mission objectives.

This was my biggest fail in Open Horizons. I just cannot figure out how to send messages on different layers. Every mission in OH include a radio message sent to the player when the mission become available. But to pull this out simply with events and triggers is not working in the campaign. Still looking for an answer/solution...
Old 04-12-11, 03:27 AM   #14
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Quote:

/discuss

I want if to be realistic. But yet I have no idea what orders the uboats had.

I also have not got far into the campaign, But I've read alot in these forums about how you have to sink X amout of Y ship.

I know that I dont want goals like sink 6 of this type of ship. (As I very much doubt that uboats had orders to go sink 6 troop transporters).

I liked how it was in SH3 (go patrol quadrant CE for 72hrs)
And maybe add a few spy drop offs or similar. (As IMO this feels more realistic)

Oh I'd like to see that annoying tutorial from the start removed too.

Are you going to mod the campaign??? I hope so. But I understand that this is alot of work.
Old 04-12-11, 03:31 AM   #15
Sbygneus
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 190

I think I dislike that the game tries to simulate Battle of Atlantic in general only. I guess most people like the idea of free campaign, wolfpacks, sinking tonage. This is all good but I regret there are no subtle planned missions in the game exept for one or two photo shots. I would like to:
1. Set the automatic weather stations/deploy weather baloons in the Arctic, supply secret bases
2. rescue missions, desant agents
3. demolish costal facilities with deck gun, attack allied weather stations for example
4. mining
5. some fictional missions would be appreciated : delivering nazi gold somewhere, firing rockets at New York harbour, taxi Hitler to secret Nazi Antarctic base in May 1945
Sbygneus is offline   Reply With Quote