SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-10, 12:23 PM   #1
ppk
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default About active sonar...

I'm starting a ''what if'' campaign with the XXI in 1939, with the goal to seek out and sink as many capital ships as possible. My boat has a sonar, which I've never really used before so I have a few questions.

1- How accurate are the range estimates? When trying to figure this out by myself I found out that a first ping will give a relatively 'far-off' estimate (in testing, I got 2300m for a merchant I had ranged visually at 1500m). Then sending out multiple pings seem to drive the range down (by as much as 1000m) until it seems to stabilize closer to what I've eye-balled. So how accurate is all of this? Do I have to ping everything 10-20 times before I can consider it good enough?

2- Kinda related to the first one, but how accurate are courses plotted from sonar ranging alone?

3- Merchants seem to be completely oblivious to it, but will it spook DDs / capital ships?

4- What's the difference between ''Estimate range to target'' & ''Precise range to target'' commands you can give the sonarman? There's only a single ping button I can find when I take his seat and they seem to produce similar results.

That's it for sonar-related questions... Two random ones now :
a- Where can I find a fleet carrier on patrol? Is there a scripted event where I'll find one?
b- What's the max safe speed for the XXI's schnorchel?

U-46 (VIIB) - 62 ships for 395,532 tons in Apr40 [DiD]
ppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 01:06 PM   #2
ryanglavin
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 35

The max safe speed on any Snorchel was only about 4 Kts, because any faster, it would get ripped off its hinges, pretty much. In game though, you can go any speed with it.
Old 05-23-10, 01:46 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Q3. Nobody can hear your sonar ping or depth sounder....crazy game

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 03:33 PM   #4
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Q3. Nobody can hear your sonar ping or depth sounder....crazy game
Except from the player.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 03:39 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon View Post
Except from the player.
Yes, I meant in terms of the game engine/units.

Old 05-23-10, 03:43 PM   #6
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppk View Post
a- Where can I find a fleet carrier on patrol? Is there a scripted event where I'll find one?
There is a task force going around the Northern coasts of Britain but the water is too shallow thus making the hunt extremely risky. Also, if you patrol at North Atlantic 1943 onwards it is almost 100% sure you will get a radio message of a task force patrolling somewhere near. The problem is that some of them travel too fast for your Uboat to intercept. Of course, you might have the chance of having the advantage, e.g. being right in front of the task's force course.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
Old 05-23-10, 03:46 PM   #7
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Yes, I meant in terms of the game engine/units.
Right. I'm sorry i didn't clarify what i really want to say ; i agree with you jimbuna. Besides, you know more about the game than i do.

Mods for SH3
Old 05-23-10, 03:54 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Right. I'm sorry i didn't clarify what i really want to say ; i agree with you jimbuna. Besides, you know more about the game than i do.
No need to apologise, no harm was done....besides , I wouldn't be so sure I know more than you.

Working on the game for so long can often mean you focus on small sections and lose a sense for the bigger picture.

Old 05-23-10, 04:02 PM   #9
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Quote:
No need to apologise, no harm was done....besides , I wouldn't be so sure I know more than you.

Working on the game for so long can often mean you focus on small sections and lose a sense for the bigger picture.
I'll have to disagree with you (a bit) 'cause as you said, you have worked on the game plus you play/have played it while i and a lot of us here gain experience by simply playing the game.

Tell me if i'm wrong.

Mods for SH3
Old 05-23-10, 04:11 PM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you (a bit) 'cause as you said, you have worked on the game plus you play/have played it while i and a lot of us here gain experience by simply playing the game.

Tell me if i'm wrong.
I think your above statement is open to individual opinion....but believe me, I still learn a lot from these SH3 forums.....often it is a reminder of something I have forgotten.

How we learn, whether it be from modding or playing is really irrelevant....what is important is the fact we all learn from one another.

NONE OF US IS AS CLEVER AS ALL OF US

SINK EM ALL!!

Old 05-23-10, 04:15 PM   #11
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Okay, i got the message.

Mods for SH3
Old 05-23-10, 05:20 PM   #12
ppk
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
There is a task force going around the Northern coasts of Britain but the water is too shallow thus making the hunt extremely risky. Also, if you patrol at North Atlantic 1943 onwards it is almost 100% sure you will get a radio message of a task force patrolling somewhere near. The problem is that some of them travel too fast for your Uboat to intercept. Of course, you might have the chance of having the advantage, e.g. being right in front of the task's force course.
Do you mean the one that circles the British Isles clockwise, through the Sea of the Hebrides & the Minch? If so, I've tried many times to catch this task force before. All I ever found were torpedo boats...

Old 05-23-10, 05:50 PM   #13
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Do you mean the one that circles the British Isles clockwise, through the Sea of the Hebrides & the Minch? If so, I've tried many times to catch this task force before. All I ever found were torpedo boats...
Yes, this is the one i'm talking about but i didn't know it is comprised by torpedo boats!!

P.S. My apologies for hijacking your thread before.^^^

Mods for SH3
Old 05-24-10, 05:13 AM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
During the first 6 months of hostilities there are numerous Task Forces leving and entering both Scapa Flow and Loch Ewe....these task forces usualy include the Hood (or another BB class) and often a carrier as well.

I could furnish you with times and dates but that would be a game killer.

You can check them out by interrogating the Campaign_SCR in the mission editor or alternatively you could d/l the SpySat mod and view them 'live'.

Old 05-25-10, 10:11 PM   #15
ppk
Machinist's Mate

I patrolled the area for a long time in my last patrol. Couldn't resist the temptation to sink the Royal Oak before Prien got there (it was early October). After that I patrolled the approaches to Scapa for a while, with no luck. Moved to Loch Ewe, no luck there either. In the end I did sink my share of destroyers (16 ) and the Tommies most certainly got pissed by the invisible killer sinking all of their patrols but I came home without my carrier.

Better luck next time I guess. I have a whole war ahead of me. I was wondering, is the battle between Scharnhorst/Gneisenau and HMS Glorious in GWX? If it is I'd like to watch it (and steal the kill!). And if you guys don't mind getting back to the initial topic, I'm still looking for answers to 1, 2 and 4.