Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-09, 06:00 AM   #1
Longbow118
Nub

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default Waypoints

Hi,

im new here and would like to know if i can assign waypoints on the navmap to my sub?

thx for answering
Longbow
Longbow118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 06:28 AM   #2
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Welcome to the forum, and no, you can't navigate by waypoints in DW.
Old 10-19-09, 10:12 AM   #3
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I thought you could.... right click ownship at the Nav station, select "Navigate by Waypoints" or something to that effect.
Old 10-19-09, 11:54 AM   #4
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Yes it's possible.

Also pressing "insert". Then, by double clicking on each point is possible to edit the waipoints (speed and depth). Our sub/ship/plane/helo will follow this instructions only if we don't change our spedd, course or depth/altitude manually; in this case I think our platform won't follow the WP.
Old 10-20-09, 04:41 AM   #5
Longbow118
Nub

Yes, it works!

Thank you all
Since a lot of years i played SH3 & 4 but now im very exciting to explore
a complete new Art of War at Sea.

Thx and best regards
Longbow

Ps: sry for my poor english
Old 10-21-09, 11:53 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

Pfeww! I started to question my grey matter there for a minute. Surely the famous Bill Nichols couldn't be wrong.... But I swear I had done it last time I played.
Old 10-22-09, 12:30 AM   #7
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

What's wrong with RTFM ?
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 04:43 AM   #8
Dr.Sid
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

He was just testing us greenhorns ..
Old 10-27-09, 05:42 PM   #9
Longbow118
Nub

Default another question

Hi There,

i will not open a new thread for this, hopping someone will read this.

ok, as you know im completly new here, so don't wonder about my next question.

How do i know, how deep my target is?
For example: i obtain my fire solution from the TMA and fire my torpedo right in to the direction of supposed target.

How do i find out, what would be the best preset for my torpedo?
I found out that floor is the maximum deep my fish will not go below, right? So if i have here 1000ft to the ground i set the preset to 1000ft and make sure my torpedo will not run to this deep, when it is not enabled, right?
Furthermore this preset only will be applicable, as my fish is not enabled, right?

another preset it ceiling. As i understod my torpedo will not go above this setting, let say 100ft, right?

So i got here 1000ft floor - 100feet ceiling = 900 feet vertical space for my torpedo to look for a target. Dont lougt at me, i just try to understand this, because its mindless for me to play this game not knowing and understanding what to do and why to do.

Hopefully somebody find a minute for a answer.

best regards
Longbow116
Old 10-27-09, 06:11 PM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Your assumptions are correct. However, the torpedo tries not to penetrate the ceiling and floor setting. But who knows what weird loops it makes when it is in a dogfight with it's target. Atleast it shouldn't detonate outside those depths. So don't put the floor setting at the actual seabed depth, or ceiling right under the keel level of friendly contacts. Give it some margin of error.

You have no way to tell exactly how deep your target it. (maybe roughly with high frequency sonar, but that is too close anyway) Just if it is below or above the thermal layer if you can hear the sound only on one side of it. But iirc Dr Sid's test showed that the layer doesn't work anymore within some minimal range (about some 5 nm I think) So it doesn't really matter. It would just help delay the target noticing what it comming at him.
Old 10-27-09, 06:40 PM   #11
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Your assumptions are correct. However, the torpedo tries not to penetrate the ceiling and floor setting. But who knows what weird loops it makes when it is in a dogfight with it's target. Atleast it shouldn't detonate outside those depths. So don't put the floor setting at the actual seabed depth, or ceiling right under the keel level of friendly contacts. Give it some margin of error.
It depends on the mod.
In RA for instance, ceiling and floor settings are used to delimit the search height for the torpedo. But once the torpedo acquires the target it becomes oblivious to the settings.

Quote:
You have no way to tell exactly how deep your target it. (maybe roughly with high frequency sonar, but that is too close anyway) Just if it is below or above the thermal layer if you can hear the sound only on one side of it. But iirc Dr Sid's test showed that the layer doesn't work anymore within some minimal range (about some 5 nm I think) So it doesn't really matter. It would just help delay the target noticing what it comming at him.
No, you have no way to find out the exact depth of your target. The only broad assumptions you can make pertains to the sub being on the same of the layer as you, or not and this works obviously if a layer is present.

If a layer is present and you want to be certain of acquiring the target, launch 2 torpedoes. One over and one under the layer.
In RA you can launch a single fish since its posssibile to instruct the torpedo to change depth (in the sense of letting the torpedo go over the other side of the layer).
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 01:37 PM   #12
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
No, you have no way to find out the exact depth of your target. The only broad assumptions you can make pertains to the sub being on the same of the layer as you, or not and this works obviously if a layer is present.
Didn't I say that?

I have no experience in RA so I'll take your word for it.
Old 10-28-09, 01:48 PM   #13
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
It depends on the mod.
In RA for instance, ceiling and floor settings are used to delimit the search height for the torpedo. But once the torpedo acquires the target it becomes oblivious to the settings.

If a layer is present and you want to be certain of acquiring the target, launch 2 torpedoes. One over and one under the layer.
In RA you can launch a single fish since its posssibile to instruct the torpedo to change depth (in the sense of letting the torpedo go over the other side of the layer).
The layer does not work precisely closer than 7.5 miles.

If the calling ship - further 7.5 miles, layer does not pass entering ping.

If the ship - is closer than 7.5 miles - pings will penetrate under a layer.

However detect the ability surface ship - is still weakened.

For torpedoes - actually layer has no what importance - short distance no under layer influence.
Old 10-31-09, 05:46 PM   #14
Longbow118
Nub

Hi and sorry for so late reply.
As longer i read in this forum the pictures becomes clearly and i start to understand how to operate in a modern sub.

Thank you for ur attantion to my problem,
best regards
Longbow118