SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-09, 05:14 AM   #1
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Default Loading saves

Am I the only one totally unable to load any save games?

I just ran a test where I made 10 saves at different points:
Surfaced
Submersed
In different views
Close to ships
Away from ships
etc.

All of the saves CTD when I try to load them.
Old 05-31-09, 05:37 AM   #2
Shadowblade
Frogman

Downloads: 12

I have experience that if I make corrupted savegame then all subsequent savegames on this patrol are corrupted too.

Kapitänleutnant Vlad von Carstein - U-Flotilla Saltzwedel - U-123, Type IXB

SH3 GWX 3.0
Shadowblade is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 05:25 PM   #3
meduza
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 40

The same thing happened to me once, after my engagement in Dunkerque evacuation. Each saved game became corrupted and I had to abandon that patrol. Fortunately, not the entire career.

meduza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 01:45 AM   #4
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by meduza View Post
The same thing happened to me once, after my engagement in Dunkerque evacuation. Each saved game became corrupted and I had to abandon that patrol. Fortunately, not the entire career.
Me, too...

Leandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 04:28 AM   #5
KeybdFlyer
中国水兵

Downloads: 162

Just re-installed SH3+GWX3 and I'm suffering the same problem. I resorted to saving, waiting a minute or so (real-time) then saving again "just in case", but to no avail. I'm currently going back through my saves one at a time to attempt to find one that will load. Frustrating, to say the least, to lose some good/difficult sinkings and have to start over. Anybody figured-out what's going on? Surely (I hope) it's nothing to do with GWX3?
KeybdFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 06:39 AM   #6
lostsm
Sailor man

Downloads: 2

when i just recently re-installed this game + gwx3, i started in aug 39, found a convoy and trailed it for 3 weeks. seeing how i hadnt played in several years, i decided to save in case i messed up

of course i messed up, and whenever i tried reloading I got a CTD right after the "not so long ago"

started other careers since then, never happened to me again. isn't this something to do with gwx3 needing several careers (something like that)
lostsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 12:12 PM   #7
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

I guess I've been lucky. I've broke a lot of the rules for saving and have not had any problems. <Knock on Wood>

I've saved in the middle of depth charge attacks while submerged, while approaching convoys(submerged and surfaced), and near land. When I've loaded the save, it runs fine. I'm sure I haven't tried all the possibilities though.

I always try to save on the surface away from ships and land though to be on the safe side. With limited playing time, that is not always possible. A lot of times I am making an approach and almost in firing position when I have to go pick the kids up or something and I have to save where I'm at and resume another day.

I've probably jinxed myself now and am set up for a corrupt save. :rotfl:

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 02:14 PM   #8
KeybdFlyer
中国水兵

You save-out and exit so you can pick-up your kids???? What kind of dedication is that? Seriously though, I think you've been very lucky - I've always ensured I was avoiding all the potential savegame breakers and yet now I CTD about a third of the time. Duplicate saves isn't helping, they both crash and often so do the ones before them. So far I've had to go back up to 5 saves to get one to load in (I save after every major event, such as a sinking, a successful evasion etc). It crashes out just as the "Not So Long Ago..." text fades from the screen. Hey, it's a game so it's hardly life altering, but it's also an extremely good game and incredibly immersive, so yes - I get pretty p1ssed-off when getting repeated CTD. Thank god for an understanding wife who puts up with my ranting as the "SH3 has suffered an error" etc message appears onscreen, lol. I'm willing to try anything at this stage, so I'll start another career and see if that helps at all.
Old 07-02-09, 02:44 PM   #9
gordonmull
Lieutenant

Downloads: 20

I'm the same as sharkbit. Never really had a saved game issue and I break all the rules. Not on my first PC or my second. I used to try to always save in the appropriate places but now I just don't bother.

Weird.
gordonmull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 05:13 PM   #10
sharkbit
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeybdFlyer View Post
You save-out and exit so you can pick-up your kids???? What kind of dedication is that?

I've been late before because of the game. I look at the clock and "OH ****!!!!"

And there at school are my little angels waiting patiently for me when daddy shows up late. My son(6yo) always ask at those moments-"Were you playing your submarine game?"

The only CTD's I've been bothered with were heat issues. My old computer would get too hot and CTD. Problem went away with a cleaned case, a new case fan, and a power supply.
Haven't had a problem at all with my new rig.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
Old 07-02-09, 05:27 PM   #11
DaveU186
Torpedoman

Downloads: 14

I've been suffering quite a lot of these.

I've just taken to only playing when I know I have enough time to either complete a patrol in one sitting, or at most with one save, as I normally get away with it. It's only when the saves keep piling up that the CTDs seem to occur.

Very annoying though. Everything you achieve in this game takes time and effort, and even seeing a few days of patrol wiped out is frustrating.
DaveU186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 07:57 PM   #12
lostsm
Sailor man

Downloads: 2

are you guys saving several times in one patrol, where each save is a different name (taking another save slot?)
lostsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 09:17 PM   #13
sharkbit
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsm View Post
are you guys saving several times in one patrol, where each save is a different name (taking another save slot?)
When I save, it is always under one name(one save slot as you call it). I've read where people do rolling saves under different names though.

Old 07-04-09, 01:45 AM   #14
KeybdFlyer
中国水兵

At lostsm's suggestion I started an additional career (from Kiel instead of Wilhelmshaven, Type IIA instead of Type VIIB - just to make sure nothing matched), went out into the North Sea, saved and exited out of the game. Started-up the game again (via SH3 Commander) and lo & behold every saved game since then (touch wood) has loaded just fine. Coincidence? Happenstance? Or perhaps the cumulative effect of my curses at the screen? (I've always been a firm believer that if you swear enough at anything that's being recalcitrant, it'll start working properly) . Whatever, all seems to be ok again. Thanks for all the suggestions, knowledge shared is knowledge increased. Stay watertight!
Old 07-06-09, 01:22 PM   #15
KeybdFlyer
中国水兵

Damn! Looks like I spoke too soon. Just tried to load-in last night's saved game and it crashed again. Shame, I'd just come across (and sunk) one of the Q-Ships. Time to start working back through the saves again, lol.