SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-10, 10:14 AM   #1
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default Networking two computers with a switch

My brother has two computers he wants to be able to get online with. I was looking around NewEgg and found this Rosewill switch.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166034

I also ordered a 50 ft. network cord.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-309-_-Product

The thing should be plug-and-play, right? He's got the modem plugged into port 1 of the switch with a Vista computer plugged into port 2. His other computer is an XP machine. That is the one that needs the 50' cable. He tells me the Vista computer works through the switch but not the XP one. Is there something that has to be done to the XP machine?
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 10:35 AM   #2
Sekure
Watch

Downloads: 10

The modem should be plugged into the "UP LINK" port on the switch.

Computers should be plugged into the ports 1-6.

Then he'll need to check the network settings on the XP machine. You/he can follow the instructions here:

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...ussel_hni.mspx
Sekure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 10:52 AM   #3
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Here's how I mapped a network drive from a Win7 machine to XP machine:

Right-click "this computer", select "map network drive"

Instead of using browse (couldnt get Win7 machine to show in there), manually type the address; \\"computer name"\"shared folder"

So if the Vista machine is called "vista-PC" with a shared folder that's called "media", it's: \\vista-PC\media

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 07:19 PM   #4
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
When doing network troubleshooting - always start with the simple and easy stuff first.

Where your and his pc plug in - swap those ports. See if his works and yours stops. If it doesnt change anything, move his pc close and use your rj45 cable - does it work now? If so - bad cable - and yes that happens. Also - hook up your PC using the 50' cable just to verifiy its good. Try other ports as the one he is trying to use may be bad.

Make sure the ethernet cable from your router is plugged into the uplink port on your switch. If it doesn't have an uplink port listed, use port 1 as that is sometimes used as the alternate. However, since one PC is working, its doubtful thats where the issue is.

Ok - now that the really easy stuff is done - are you guys using DHCP or have you assigned static IP's to the computers? Check - because you both should probably be using DHCP. He may be set to static and not know it - and thus his settings are way off what they should be.

Next, disconnect the switch, hook JUST his pc up directly to the modem - does that work? If not - then he may have a bad NIC or the wrong drivers to make the network adapter function. This will at least isolate the problem to the machine vs a true network issue.

Lets assume NONE of this pointed at the problem - then you will need to telnet/hyperterminal/web administrate the modem. That switch is what you call "unmanaged" - meaning its not "programmable" in any way - so the problem won't be at the switch unless there is a problem with the device. Most modern modems use a simple web inteface to adminster them. It could be that the modem is set to DHCP - but only has a single address defined as issuable - meaning it can't give his pc one. Get to this point and then let us know where you are - because I am to lazy to type more on this track if its not needed!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 09:56 AM   #5
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Thanks guys. I haven't forgot about this thread. His two computers are at a different location than me, so I have to try to help when the occasion arises. I just want to say I am not good at networking at all. I have never networked my own computer to anything. Last night he called and I tried to troubleshoot some stuff.

His Windows XP computer can get online when plugged directly to the modem with the 50' cord so that works. If the cable modem is plugged into the switch (through uplink or port 1) and one other computer is plugged into the switch (usually port 2) it can get online. If we plug a second computer (the other is Windows Vista) into the switch it cannot get online (through port 3,4, or 5). If we plug just the Vista machine into the switch (it can then get online) then the XP machine cannot get on.

He does not have a router.

Edit:

I've been doing some searching and come across a forum where someone posted pretty much the exact problem we are having.

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/31302/262750.aspx

Sounds like he is going to need a router? Will going into through the network wizard actually help?

Last edited by Syxx_Killer; 02-15-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-15-10, 05:22 PM   #6
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

I just want to thank you guys for the help again. I just got back from trying to get my brother's two computers networked together. I was over there for over two hours and didn't get it to work. We are now going to try a router instead.
Old 02-15-10, 05:43 PM   #7
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Yes you have found your problem - the modem (DSL/Cable) isn't set up to run more than one PC. It may or may not be something you can turn on in the config - but some service providers actually charge to put more than one pc on the net at a time.

A router will solve the problem as it will do all the DHCP and lan to net routing for you.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 06:22 PM   #8
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

What capt said - ditto

To make things easy, unplug everything and plug your one computer into the modem. Make sure everything is working (might even restart PC). Then follow the instructions of the router setup disk.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 06:36 PM   #9
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

I just use XP's 'Network Setup Wizard', found in control panel never failed me yet providing your got the hub and cables set properly. Use the Wizard on both pcs then restart and every thing should be working. Can't comment with Win7 but when i had one pc running Vista and other XP the vista os found the network on the first start up. Ubuntu was even better no need to do anything network was auto setup after installation.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote