Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-30-10, 12:26 AM   #1
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default Dangerous Waters and Linux.

Hello all.

I've mentioned this in bits-and-pieces in some other threads, but I've decided to post the news in a new thread because I think it is somewhat significant.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been testing various methods of running Dangerous Waters under the Linux OS. I've uncovered some key information in the process that I would like to share with you all.

Wine is a program for Linux that allows you to run programs, and games, designed for Windows. Up until recently we were all having trouble running Dangerous Waters through this "compatibility layer" known as Wine. Early versions of Wine produced many issues with DW. Eventually most of these issues were addressed, except for one. No matter what we couldn't get sound working. Now there's a solution.

Install Wine version 1.3.5 and open the "Configure Wine" program. (I think the command is "winecfg.") Go to the Graphics tab and select "Emulate a virtual desktop" and de-select "Allow Pixel Shader." You will also want to configure your sound drivers and file paths to your liking. I use the ALSA sound driver and allow Wine to auto-detect my drives and user directories. Make sure to edit the path for your virtual D: drive so that it points to where you plan to mount the install disks.

Mount your first disk and start the install. When prompted for the second disk you will have to issue the command "umount -l /cdrom." (Replace /cdrom with the path to your mounted disk if located elsewhere.) It is very important that you use the "-l" switch. (This switch is a bit of a hack, and not the kind of thing you want to make a habit out of, but I can't figure out any other way to unmount the disk.) When you resume the install the progress bar will disappear. Grab the top border of the install window and drag it downwards to reveal the progress bar again. The rest of the install should be fairly straight forward from here. (Make sure to patch to version 1.04 and install LWAMI too! )

The next step is to play around with the sound files so that they will play properly. Fetch the following program: http://subguru.com/DW_missions/scsoundedit.zip

Locate Dangerous Waters\Audio\Sfx\sfx.agg and use the above program to extract the .wav files from it. Remove or rename sfx.agg and then add the prefix "sfx.agg+" to all of the .wav files and leave them in the current directory (Dangerous Waters/Audio/Sfx). Use a batch renamer for this. I recommend GPRename, but you can google for some one-liners to paste in a terminal instead.

Next we must do the same thing to the vehicle specific sound files. Locate Dangerous Waters\Interfaces\AkulaII\sfx.agg. (In this case I am only modifying the sfx.agg for the Akula. If you want to drive one of the other platforms just use this same method on it.)

Extract the .wavs from the vehicle specific sfx.agg and remove or rename the sfx.agg when done. Again, we will leave them in the current directory (Dangerous Waters\Interfaces\AkulaII) and add a new prefix to their names. All the .wav files must be renamed with the prefix "sfx.agg+".

After these modifications are made the game will run with all sounds.

One problem we have encountered so far is that the 688(I) does not work as it should. The game crashes when you try to load a 688(I) mission. The Akula works fine. The Seawolf and the Kilo appear to work fine too. I have not tested the FFG, Helo, or the P-3 so I can't comment on those.

Another problem I have been experiencing involves a process called "pulse-audio." I don't know all the details, but it is some kind of sound server. I have read of problems with pulse-audio and Wine before. My solution is to close all sound related programs and do a "killall pulse-audio" before starting DW. (Don't worry, pulse-audio restarts a few moments after you kill it. All we're doing is esentially restarting it.) Some people have disabled pulse-audio altogether, but I haven't found that to be necessary.

That's about all I've got to say about that for now. I'll post a link to the new test results on WineHQ once they have been reviewed and posted. I might also put up a screenshot or two later. Feel free to ask me any questions, as I am sure I've left out a few details here and there.

Last edited by kgsuarez; 10-30-10 at 09:12 PM.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 03:12 PM   #2
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
This is definitely good news kgsuarez.
I suppose DW runs better in wine than in virtualbox ?
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 11:23 PM   #3
Reaper51
A-ganger

Downloads: 58

If I recall correctly, DW ran great under Wine. The missing sound was the only problem.
Old 11-03-10, 11:37 PM   #4
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28

goldorak, DW runs much better in Wine than it ever did in VirtualBox.

Reaper51, that is correct. Though, I notice that my computer strains slightly more with sound enabled as opposed to having it disabled. Most games can be sped up in Wine by disabling sound, but that's just not an option for DW.

All in all, I am pretty happy with it.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 03:00 PM   #5
BobbyZero
Mate

Downloads: 9

This is a very old thread, but I'll post this for the sake of updated information, in case anyone wonders whether / how DW works under Linux /Wine. I just installed DW in the latest version of Wine on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and it works perfectly. The most important thing to add is that sound now works without any need for tampering with sound files. I installed it an hour ago, and everything worked as it should right from the get go.

So, all you penguin lovers, and all you Windows 8 haters - go for it, and fear not
BobbyZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-15, 11:09 AM   #6
Superlokkus
Bilge Rat

Dangerours Waters OSX Wine/VirtualBox

Do you encountered the "Could not initialize graphics display" problem? I'm trying to play it on the mac/osx with wine (with d3d9) and virtual box (win 7 x64 with beta 3d accl.) and in both cases I'm getting the same mentioned error.
Superlokkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-15, 11:26 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Superlokkus!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 11:15 AM   #8
montaigne
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Fail

FWIW, I tired to install DW under wine (1.7.36) on a Opensuse 13.1 box and failed each time. Something wineish will not let go of the CD -- wine eject fails. I tried a number of strategms (umount -l, etc, etc), nada. OTOH, it runs flawlessly under Steam/Wine on my box. I can install mods, etc. No problem. I'll probably try again in a bit, after the bad taste wears off.
Old 02-12-15, 02:42 PM   #9
Red_88
Sailor man

Downloads: 250
Uploads: 6

that is a bit strange, since AFAIK DW doesn't have a copy protection, however I experienced similiar problems with other games, appearently WINE have a problem with real CD Drives.

My workaround is to rip the cd to iso files, then you can mount them, either with the mount command or you can use acetoneiso, wich you can find in the repos and is a very handy application. Then assign a Drive Letter to the mount folder and define it as a CD-Rom drive
with winecfg.
Red_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 01:48 PM   #10
Relmu
Watch

DW runs perfectly fun under wine.

To install... don't go for a Full install, go for a Typical Install. The full install specifically checks that the disk is in the same drive that the install was started in and because the install program is active it keeps the virtual disk tied.

However the typical install...doesn't. Needless to say, if you're still having trouble...burn it to a disk . They're only a few $.

Edit:

Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic I think)
Wine 1.7.34

The only problem I get is when the game hangs while starting and it screws with my display resolution... (I can't see half my screen in 800x600 dammit)
Relmu is offline   Reply With Quote