SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-19-12, 05:15 PM   #1
fright52
Seaman

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Basic SH4 Compass Rose?

Very new to Subsim and SH4. Does SH4, right out of box version, have a way to get a compass rose on navigation map? I noticed on several youtube tutorials A compass grid on navigation map to simplify bearings and directions.
I am really strugling to get a grip on how to plot my course and enemy course with the navigation tools. Normally, N is to top of map. Protractor shows 180 for N ad 0 for S. Could anyone kindly give me any tips, links or refer me to an Idiots Guide to Navigating? Many thanks.
fright52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 09:52 PM   #2
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

Go to the Skipper's Bag of Tricks Sticky. Watch Legion's Noob Guide video. The compass can be activated by clicking on the round device above the tools (left side of the screen.) You read the compass bearing from the bottom of the compass dial.

Also take a look at the Technical Help Sticky.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 01:26 AM   #3
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fright52 View Post
Very new to Subsim and SH4. Does SH4, right out of box version, have a way to get a compass rose on navigation map? I noticed on several youtube tutorials A compass grid on navigation map to simplify bearings and directions.
I am really strugling to get a grip on how to plot my course and enemy course with the navigation tools. Normally, N is to top of map. Protractor shows 180 for N ad 0 for S. Could anyone kindly give me any tips, links or refer me to an Idiots Guide to Navigating? Many thanks.
What game are you playing SH4 or SH 4 with the U Boat addition?
If it's is just SH 4 you need to patch the game to V1.4 you can do this at the UBI web site.

See this post for the bearing tool.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=768

As far as the Protractor goes, it is backwards for a reason. If you put the center of the Protractor on a target and draw a line the number where that line crosses the outside of the Protractor closest to the target will be the real heading of the line. A line drown straight across the screen from left to right will say 90° which is the direction you are drawing the line. If you go right to left it will say 270°
If you have plotted a target course you can use the rose to find what the target's heading is, this is very useful for manual targeting.

For navigating your boat mouse ovet the buttons at the bottom of the navigation screen and you'll find one that says "Plot course". Click on it and a line will show up starting at your boat and end at the mouse pointer.
Move the pointer where you want to go and click, that is a way point. The line will stay at that point and the boat will turn to the line and follow it. You can set up another way point the same way. You can navigate anywhere on the map with way points. You can click and hold on any way point and move it if necessary. Watch out for small islands!

The best way is to go to Navigation school and just play with all the buttons and keys and see what they do, you can't hurt anything.
F1 will bring up a map of the short keys.

On the bridge the mouse wheel will bring up binoculars. You zoom in and out on the maps with the mouse wheel, you can click and drag the maps, also the red sonar screen can be clicked and the mouse wheel will sweep the sonar beam. The three dials on the bottom right have brown tabs, click on them and the dials will change. Be sure to open the torpedo doors, Q key, before you shoot. Just a few things off the top of my head.

Play around for a time and come back here for any more questions.
We'll be glad to help.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 04:49 AM   #4
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fright52 View Post
Normally, N is to top of map. Protractor shows 180 for N ad 0 for S. Could anyone kindly give me any tips, links or refer me to an Idiots Guide to Navigating? Many thanks.
Ok, here is a very simple example of why 180 is N and 0 is south:

Let's say you want to go to Midway to get fuel. Open the "tool helper" and use the 'ruler' and place the center over the center of your sub and click and drag the line to Midway.

Now when you drag the line to Midway you read the degrees and that is the heading you need to go to reach Midway. About 32 degrees.

So if turn your sub to a heading of 32 degrees you will go to Midway.

And if you drag the 'compass' due north, 'top of the map', you will see it reads 0 degrees, which is north and that is what you expected it to be.

Now the same applies if you are using it on enemy ships. You spot them and place a mark on the map at their location using the pencil. Then you wait for them to move and make another mark. Place the Upside down compass on the first mark, drag it over the second mark and you have their heading. Of course while you are doing this you can time them and determine their speed also.
There is more to it, but that will get you headed in the right direction....

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 12:12 PM   #5
fright52
Seaman

Default Compass rose

Thanks to all of you for your help and responses! SH4 is my first "virtual" pc game and Ubisoft did a fantastic job but, without Subsim and the people sharing info, a lot of us would "dead in the water". It would be nice if Ubi could offer and/or sell a comprehensive manual for this game, but all in all, I give this game a top score.

I wish my father in law was still around to see this. He served on three subs, Crevalle, Atule and Halfbeak and he would probably be glued to his computer! Thanks again.
Old 02-20-12, 02:07 PM   #6
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Sorry Magic

I read the question but couldn't answer it right away and when I came back I just did the post without noticing you had already answered it.
No insult intended.

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 12:46 AM   #7
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

No problem my friend.

The screen shots explained better anyway.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 12:28 PM   #8
fright52
Seaman

Default Basic SH4 compas rose

Wow! Big thank you to "Old Man" Magic and the Admiral Peabody!!! Your explanantion of how to use the protractor was like AAA roadside assistance in the Pacific ocean. I gave this a try and low and behold...no more u-turns/circles/zig-zagging my way to find the enemy.
I just moved up a notch on the food chain! lol Prometheus, more wood for the fire!!!