SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-24, 12:24 PM   #1351
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Scotland’s First Minister John Swinney says the UK should raise taxes to avoid spending cuts after the election.

In an interview with the BBC's Nick Robinson, the SNP leader claims Labour has "signed up" to cuts planned by the Tories - something Keir Starmer denies.

Robinson also interviewed Plaid Cymru’s Rhun ap Iorwerth - watch both in full from 19:00 at the top of this page.

ap Iorwerth calls on Welsh voters to prevent Labour from having a "huge majority" that would allow them to "ignore Wales completely"

Earlier, Rishi Sunak insisted the general election isn't over, after Defence Secretary Grant Shapps discussed a possible Labour "supermajority"

With polls showing a clear lead for Labour, Keir Starmer says he is not complacent.

Meanwhile, the Green Party has launched its manifesto, promising an extra £50bn a year on health and social care.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-24, 10:42 AM   #1352
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Labour launches its manifesto for the 4 July general election, focusing on economic growth and "stability"

Party leader Keir Starmer says that wealth creation is the "number one priority"

He says Labour promises "stability over chaos, long-term over short-term, an end to the desperate era of gestures and gimmicks"

Starmer says Labour will not raise personal tax rates - the manifesto includes plans to raise £8bn, including through VAT on private school fees, closing loopholes, and a windfall tax on oil and gas.

Rishi Sunak says Labour’s manifesto "would mean the highest taxes in history... if you think they’ll win, start saving"

Before Labour, Plaid Cymru launched its manifesto, with a focus on "fairer" funding for Wales.

Old 06-13-24, 10:55 AM   #1353
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-14-24, 05:39 AM   #1354
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Just a test from postimage

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-24, 09:03 AM   #1355
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-15-24, 06:35 AM   #1356
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

King's Birthday Honours List 2024: Gordon Brown 'slightly embarrassed' as he gets historic award

Quote:
Former Labour leader Gordon Brown has been awarded with a top award in the King's Birthday Honours list.

The ex-Prime Minister, 73, was recognised for "public and charitable services in the UK and abroad" as he became a Member of the Order of the Companions of Honour. A highly coveted award of which there are only ever 65 recipients at any one time.

The gong - founded by King George V in 1917 to recognise outstanding achievements in the Arts, Sciences, Medicine and Public Service - has previously been given to Dame Shirley Bassey, Sir David Attenborough and Sir Elton John. Mr Brown has raised more than £4million for charitable causes.

Mr Brown said: "I feel slightly embarrassed as the opportunity to serve is an honour in itself and my preference has always been to recognise all those brilliant, unsung, local heroes who quietly and selflessly give their time to contribute to the vitality of our communities. I want to thank those who put my name forward and thank too my family and all who have worked with me during the last 50 years in public life to whom I owe everything."

Mr Brown was Prime Minister from 2007 to 2010, having been Chancellor under Tony Blair from 1997 to 2007.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...430c8dbf1&ei=8