mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-24, 02:15 PM   #7982
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Yea. Like that is gonna happen.
This is 2024 NOT 1962.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 06-01-24 at 02:36 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-24, 02:41 PM   #7983
Oubaas
Watch Officer

Downloads: 65

It's the inevitable outcome of current events. None of the parties in our current global goat-rope have a reverse gear.

<- Missing reverse gear.

Just think, people that you've never even met before rule over you and are going to get you killed. Your life isn't your own. Ain't the world grand?

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-24, 03:16 PM   #7984
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubaas View Post
It's the inevitable outcome of current events. None of the parties in our current global goat-rope have a reverse gear.

<- Missing reverse gear.

Just think, people that you've never even met before rule over you and are going to get you killed. Your life isn't your own. Ain't the world grand?

Smells like it fits more in our Ukraine thread or ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 06-01-24, 03:33 PM   #7985
Oubaas
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Smells like it fits more in our Ukraine thread or ?

Markus
Oh, it would fit there, too. But the point here is that regardless of who your favorite professional con-artist happens to be, and even if we make it to November, nothing is going to change.

I have to wonder why people are so fond of having others rule over them? Is there some sort of naturally submissive streak in humans?

As for it being 2024 and not 1962, back in 1962 there were still a few adults in the room who understood the concept of compromise. That is not the case in 2024, in which we are led by half-bright, ego-driven, anal-expulsive emotion monsters.

So everybody pick their favorite, and defend them to the hilt as they vie for the chance to rule over your lives for you.

Old 06-01-24, 04:07 PM   #7986
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Oh, it would fit there, too. But the point here is that regardless of who your favorite professional con-artist happens to be, and even if we make it to November, nothing is going to change.

I have to wonder why people are so fond of having others rule over them? Is there some sort of naturally submissive streak in humans?

As for it being 2024 and not 1962, back in 1962 there were still a few adults in the room who understood the concept of compromise. That is not the case in 2024, in which we are led by half-bright, ego-driven, anal-expulsive emotion monsters.

So everybody pick their favorite, and defend them to the hilt as they vie for the chance to rule over your lives for you.

WOW as you can put it, can't be misunderstood.

Yes does people put their vote on a politician, so s/he can be controlled by this politician ?

Of course not-People put their vote on a politician in the meaning this politician make life easier for the voter.

Markus

Old 06-01-24, 04:33 PM   #7987
Oubaas
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
WOW as you can put it, can't be misunderstood.

Yes does people put their vote on a politician, so s/he can be controlled by this politician ?

Of course not-People put their vote on a politician in the meaning this politician make life easier for the voter.

Markus
You may be onto something there, Markus. Perhaps it makes life easier. So people surrender their personal sovereignty to others for an easier life. They're enduring slavery for the sake of convenience. Yikes!

I have a theory that all governments are made up of the kids that were picked on in high school. They're now getting even with the rest of us because they didn't like being pantsed in the hallway by the bullies. But I didn't bully anyone in high school, so they should go away and leave me out of it.

Old 06-01-24, 04:51 PM   #7988
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
You may be onto something there, Markus. Perhaps it makes life easier. So people surrender their personal sovereignty to others for an easier life. They're enduring slavery for the sake of convenience. Yikes!

I have a theory that all governments are made up of the kids that were picked on in high school. They're now getting even with the rest of us because they didn't like being pantsed in the hallway by the bullies. But I didn't bully anyone in high school, so they should go away and leave me out of it.

A voter isn't just a voter-They goes into categories

Such as
Dedicated, popular and so on.

Markus

Old 06-01-24, 06:40 PM   #7989
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Trump and his Trumpette lemmings are making a lot of noise about his felony convictions; reminds me of the phrase "Sound and fury signifying nothing" (Thanks, Bill); why nothing?; because, as with the 'stolen election/election fraud' claims, its just noise without any real substance; Trump and his attorneys (who I am sure, given the "reputable" nature of DJT's business history, will be demanding payment upfront) will have their day in court(s), again, to make their appeals to try and keep Trump from being tagged as the felon he really is; a main point to consider is an appeal may be made based on trial procedures, etc, but an appeal cannot re-argue evidence; once a trial is held and a jury has rendered a verdict, the evidence presented is accepted as factual and cannot be contested unless there is some extraordinary occurrence (e.g., in a murder trial, new evidence that is fully exculpatory of the convicted criminal comes to light); but Trump's situation really leaves him with only the possibility of finding some technicality to void the verdict; still, it would not be an acquittal at all and would only mean that the DA could refile for a new trail; so, for Trump, he is guilty of the his crimes and was found so by a jury chosen with his participation and, if there was any exculpatory evidence to be presented, he either chose not to present that evidence or he actually really didn't have a defense for his actions under the law (saying, ad nauseam, "I'm not guilty!!" or "Rigged trial" is not an actual legal defense, its just a loudmouth ranting); he had his chance and he, as the loser he is, blew it...

Now, he probably will try to push his loony bin ideas of how he was 'mistreated' but I doubt if any of them will hold any legal water; as far as the Trumpette lemmings and their ranting, I have one main question:

Can you give any specific, verifiable, and legally justifiable proof or substantiation that the trial was rigged, or the Judge was corrupt or unethical, or the jury was in any way tampered with, or the Biden Administration had any direct or tangential influence or exerted direction in the conduct of the prosecution and/or trial; I want actual provable facts, not op-eds or talking-head, tin-hat rantings from the InterWebs, I want something that has real weight and effect that would have a good chance of standing up in court...

Let's eee if there are any real takers...

I got a bit of a laugh from the claim in a previous posting citing as proof of bias/corruption/etc., the statement by NY DA Bragg that he had sued Trump "hundreds of times"; this is the sort of specious "proof" I'm talking about; yes, Bragg, in his function as DA has sued Trump "hundreds of times", or more precisely, the NY DA's office has sued Trump hundreds of times; So, Bragg actually has sued Trump as he claims, but so have his many predecessors and likely those DAs who will follow; there is no specific bias at play here: Trump is just a sleazy businessman for whom being sued is SOP; Trump, and his businesses in NY, have a very long and colorful history in the NY state courts since Trump has had an astonishing number of complaints and lawsuits filed against him over the decades and has had rather mixed results; although Trump projects the image that his is a "winner" and never settles when it comes to court cases against him, he actually has settled out of court far more often than he has won in court and he has a long, long history of trying to avoid jury trials at any cost (gee, I wonder why?) he has even lost some of the cases brought against him, with the this case, in particular, being interesting...

Paint Shop Owner Juan Carlos Enriquez Took On Trump — and Won -

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mp-won-n747756

Gotta admire it when a little guy wins over a fat cat...

So, by being stubborn and fighting to avoid paying a USD $32,000 legitimate billing, Trump ended up paying some USD $300,000, instead, yep that Trump is a real astute businessman, someone who should be running a government...

...and, there's this little gem...

$300,000 Arbitration Win, Defeating Trump CampaignÂ’s Efforts to Enforce Arbitration -

https://www.tzlegal.com/our-successe...r-over-300000/

Seems like Donnie just isn't the "winner" he wants us to believe he is...

BTW, although I have many, many very good reasons not to vote for Trump, there is one very big and glaring reason I could never vote for someone like him: Trump had a charity foundation setup and raised funds for a particular charity; there was little notice of the disposition of the funds until a journalist, before the 2016 Presidential Election, got the idea of doing a sort of human interest, 'feel good' piece on those who were to have benefited from the Trump Foundation fundraising; the big problem was, as the journalist contacted the purported recipients, none of them had seen a single cent from the Foundation; further investigation showed none of the funds had been distributed by Trump; in fact, Trump had used the Foundation's funds as a sort of 'petty cash' account, using the fund to pay for personal items like sports memorabilia and a "Yuuge" six-foot portrait painting of himself for his own personal use, among other tchotchkes; the NY State Attorney General's Office filed a lawsuit against the Trump Foundation and forced Trump to own up to his transgressions and doubled the amount he would have had to pay as donated funds to charity, so, again, Trump, by his own stubborn willingness to stand by his criminality, had to fork over far more than he would have had tom pay if he had just acted honestly...

So, I find it extremely repulsive to vote for a man who would, with free will and malice aforethought, steal from a charity; and I find it even even more of a repugnant idea to vote for him with the knowledge that the charity he so cavalierly disrespected and stole from was a veteran's charity; there are low people and there are low people; Trump, much as the worm he is, is absolutely subterranean...

<O>
Old 06-01-24, 08:06 PM   #7990
Oubaas
Watch Officer

The maximum sentence on each count is four years.

If this is a political hatchet job as some allege, Trump could be sentenced to 4 x 34 = 136 years, each sentence to be served consecutively, not concurrently.

If you're looking at 136 years in the can, they don't send you to Rikers. He'd go upstate, to Attica.

So, what happens then if the judge throws the book at him? Does Attica Correctional Facility become the new White House if Trump wins the election?

Maybe Joey has got up to mischief in New York. What if he got indicted and convicted and sent to Attica, too? And the two of them became cell mates?

"We've got another disturbance in D-block! Send in CERT!"

Where's Lee Greenwood? I want to hear that song!

Old 06-02-24, 04:54 AM   #7991
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:

I like George Carlins theory where politicians come from. So proud to be American these days our two presidential candidates we seem to be presented with are a convict and a turnip.

Maybe the thread can delve into current events that affect the country instead of the party.

Let’s see there’s….

American hostages in Gaza

a TDR carrier group being shot at by Houthis

A runaway 320 million dollar pier debacle.

Boeing eating away billions in NASA’s funding

Rising oil prices

Inflation

War in Middle East

War in Europe

Naaaw that’s too much and people likely feel they have no control over those. The convict and turnip drama is easier.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-02-24 at 05:09 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-24, 07:37 AM   #7992
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I like George Carlins theory where politicians come from. So proud to be American these days our two presidential candidates we seem to be presented with are a convict and a turnip.

Maybe the thread can delve into current events that affect the country instead of the party.

Let’s see there’s….

American hostages in Gaza

a TDR carrier group being shot at by Houthis

A runaway 320 million dollar pier debacle.

Boeing eating away billions in NASA’s funding

Rising oil prices

Inflation

War in Middle East

War in Europe

Naaaw that’s too much and people likely feel they have no control over those. The convict and turnip drama is easier.
None of those would have happened if...
Old 06-02-24, 08:50 AM   #7993
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Now if I'm interpreting the above correctly, that is the funniest one liner I've seen around these parts for a good while

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-24, 09:10 AM   #7994
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
If? Just look at the history of this thread. We demand it.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-24, 08:20 AM   #7995
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

https://archive.ph/isZq4#selection-1473.0-1479.694

Quote:
Within NATO, the immediate priority is “Trump-proofing” the alliance. In the past 18 months, Finland and Sweden have joined, each bringing relatively capable and high-tech militaries. Secretary-General Stoltenberg has also proposed shifting responsibility for Ukrainian arms deliveries from the U.S. to NATO in case the next administration decides to abandon the war.

Most notably, allied countries have dramatically increased their own military spending. I spoke with several officials who grudgingly credited Trump for this development—something NATO officials and U.S. presidents had spent decades advocating for unsuccessfully. In 2017, when Trump took office, only three allies, plus the U.S., were spending at least 2 percent of their GDP on defense. This year, that number is expected to rise to at least 18. Trump’s criticism of paltry defense budgets was not only effective, Stoltenberg told me, but fair. “European allies have not spent enough for many years,” he said. (No doubt Russia’s invasion of Ukraine also factored into the increased spending.)
Yeah, funny how that works. Countries that take advantage of the US and allocate their spending to their own domestic boondoggles finally wake up when Trump calls them on their ****.