SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-01-24, 08:03 AM   #61
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Yeah, Python II. It's actually much closer to a Fer de Lance in concept. A fast, agile combat ship with limited internals meaning it isn't very well suited to roles outside of combat. This ship's release was the catalyst for my return and I bought it with Arx. It cannot be bought until August with in-game credits.

Exploration has undergone some changes, including the introduction of Exobiology with the Odyssey expansion. The notion of tagging planets with first footfalls was appealing and I've been out in the black getting this done. The exobiology pays very well, and especially so if you get first-log on it. Exo probably has overtaken mining as the most lucrative game loop.

Which stick do you use?
Old 06-01-24, 12:28 PM   #62
tychosis
Nub

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
Which stick do you use?
Just an old Saitek X52. Obviously not the greatest, but I'm honestly not a flightsim guy--I got it for Elite specifically haha.

I used bindings from GangreneTVP back in the day and they worked well for me, it looks like someone else took up the reins but I haven't tried the new ones yet and don't know if they're still appropriate:

https://github.com/spliffz/X52Elite_v3.3.0-beyond

I also used the Astra (I think) HCS Voice Pack with VoiceAttack, and it honestly added a lot to the gameplay and allowed me to never touch the keyboard--not really sure if that's updated with new functionality... I do remember it was a bit of a grind getting that tweaked back in the day so not really looking forward to that haha.
tychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-24, 02:14 PM   #63
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

X 52 is good, yeah. Covers all the bases.

I won't try to tempt you back, I can see you are leaning the other way. But if you do, good hunting commander
Old 06-01-24, 10:29 PM   #64
tychosis
Nub

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
X 52 is good, yeah. Covers all the bases.

I won't try to tempt you back, I can see you are leaning the other way. But if you do, good hunting commander
Well what I really want to do is get all my controls figured out, and then get the HOTAS mounted to a gaming chair. I got a VR headset shortly before stepping away from Elite and I do want to get back to that, I found Elite in VR pretty breathtaking--but I'll definitely have to get the muscle-memory back first given I won't be able to see the controls haha.
tychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-24, 08:54 AM   #65
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Yeah, you gotta bite the bullet. Mapping everything is quite a chore. I use an Evenstrain Cougar as mentioned, which I believe has 48 programmable buttons and switches, plus rotaries.

But that is not enough. So I run a shift button (S3 'pinky' button) and assigned separate commands to every button and switch while the S3 is held (shifted commands). So now we are at nearly 100 commands mapped.

And then I have a X Box controller which I use for FSS and that has to be set up. Luckily the Crosswinds just work and there's no more buttons!

But yeah, when you look at it that way it is a lot of work! But as mentioned, at least in my case, this particular return to Elite needed no re-mapping. Everything had been just as I left it and it all worked straight from the off.