Old 02-19-24, 07:57 AM   #5836
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Can't get this one to run.

Windows 11, heaps of RAM, etc. Pretty new system.

Fresh install, SH4 Gold, 1.5. Installed to its own folder, not in Program files.

Loading the old fashioned way, JSGME. The mod will load until it's time to leave harbor, the mod freezes, forcing me to restart the PC.

I have run the 4 gig patch and (I think) Multi SH4.

Loaded the mod in order:

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8,
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak,
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
Small point, but you do not need the FI-OQ patch. That is for the Fleetboat Interiors - Officer's Quarters mod from vickers03. If you do not use the mod, you do not need the patch.

Now, you have to be certain of the 4gig patch and the Save folder. Navigate into your game folder and select the SH4.exe file, then Ctrl-click the FileManager.dll file in the same folder (or do each separately), right-click and choose "Properties" from the context menu. The resultant "Properties" dialog has an "Attributes" section at the bottom, and the "Read-only" tick box has to be clear for both files. If not, click on the box to change its status. "OK" after that, and you can close the dialog. If running the 4Gig Patch, be certain it is running in the correct SH4 folder, choose the Sh4.exe file and attempt to activate it. The 4GigPatch will show a dialog of either success or failure that you have to "OK". If it fails, double-check your "Read-only" status again. Follow a similar procedure with the LAA app. It defaults to the "Basic" interface, and you use its "Step 1." open dialog to navigate to the proper game folder, select the SH4.exe file, click the tick box to put a check mark in the LAA "Step 2." dialog, then click on the "Save" button. The app then closes, with minimal confirmation of either pass or fail. Open the app again, to see if there is indeed a tick mark in that "Step 2." section. If not, check your SH4.exe file's "Read-only" status again.

MultiSH4 allows you to make your own "Save" folder, named with any 3 "valid" characters you'd like. "SH4" is the default save folder, found in the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents " folder. Running MultiSH4 allows you use something like "FRS", or whatever, such as "FS1" etc., but even if you do use it for FotRSU or any other mod, you definitely want to make certain that the Save folder is empty by navigating into that folder using the Windows File Explorer and verifying the "SH4" (or whatever name you used) folder is empty. If not, select all (Ctrl-A key combo) and delete all the files. SH4 will create a new save folder, and populate it with the modified data from the modded game. This applies to all changes to the game when adding or subtracting major mods.

Now, the really big thing... Windows 11 did an update a few weeks ago on my relatively new i7 laptop that has trashed ALL of my Silent Hunter games (3, 4 & 5). My laptop displays at 1920x1080 on internal Intel graphics (Iris??), as part of the cpu. All three of my games were working prior to the update. Now they don't. I have not had the time to sit still and tweak things to find what MS changed that is interfering, but most likely it is the "Properties" dialog of the SH4.exe again. So right-click on the SH4.exe again, choose "Properties", but then click on the "Compatibility" tab. On that dialog, you will have to do some experimenting to find the combination that allows the game to run properly. On my desktop here, I have "Compatibility mode" set to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and chose "Windows XP (SP2)" from the drop-down. Every computer, and every game might need a different choice, or none at all. Some people can use Windows 7 for their compatibility. I also have "Disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked. This is almost a necessity for the game. Some people have to click the ""Run this program as an administrator". This compluter, it is empty. But you do almost without fail, have to click on the "Change high DPI settings" button. On that next dialog it pops-up, you will have to tick the bottom "Override high DPI scaling behavior..." tick box, and choose "Application" from the drop-down box. That way, Windows will not attempt to 'help' draw your game's screen. Dependent upon if you have a large screen (such as 4k) and have Windows "Scaling" applied for the icons and text, you might have to also click that upper "Use this setting to fix scaling problems..." tick box, and then choose "I open this program" from that drop-down dialog box. Most folks do not need to do that. "OK" your way out, and close the dialogs. You could also attempt to use the Windows "Run compatibility troubleshooter" at the top of the "Properties" dialog, and that works (usually) on this Win10 desktop, but did not work on the Win11 laptop, so I'll have to take some time sometime, and try to tweak things again on it.

For further overly-detailed verbosity, refer to the "Activating Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition.pdf" file in the mod's Support folder, or if the mod is correctly activated, it will show in the game's Support folder. Also, if you run JSGME.exe from you game folder, and choose "Tasks..." from the middle of it, then "Export activated mods list to --->" at the bottom of the menu, and then click on "Clip board", you can directly paste that info into your next post. Or choose "Text file", which you can then open and copy that text into your post. It will show the entire path to your mods in that info, which helps immensely in helping diagnose problems.,, anyway, let us know how you get along with it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote