Old 11-09-20, 12:17 AM   #740
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: XXIII... part deux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
No, the XXIII simply is too small for Atlantic patrols. There's no way to "stretch" the fuel supply.

It's a very small boat. Should only be sent on coastal patrols.

If you're managing to extend your boat's range by using the batteries, then the game's modeling is broken. You should use up extra fuel by recharging the batteries.
Running diesels, just idling... Yes, idling will use fuel.. yet, don't use diesel fuel as prodigiously as engaging them for speed... again, as far as I know of.

If the tanks on the Type XXIII are indeed smaller than those on the Type II-D, then all bets are off.

M. M.

Ok, just found some info on both subs...

Range:

IID :

5,650 nmi (10,460 km; 6,500 mi) at 8 knots (15 km/h; 9.2 mph) surfaced

56 nmi (104 km; 64 mi) at 4 knots (7.4 km/h; 4.6 mph) submerged

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type XXIII :

2,600 nmi (4,800 km; 3,000 mi) at 8 knots (15 km/h; 9.2 mph) surfaced

194 nmi (359 km; 223 mi) at 4 knots (7.4 km/h; 4.6 mph) submerged

The Type II-D, outclassed the Type XXII, when it came to surfaced range.. where as the Type XXIII, outclassed the Type II-D, when it came to submerged range. Around 3.5 times the range submerged...

All I know is.. I was able to do the run submerged, surface & recharge & was able to make it out to the mid Atlantic, do the mission objective, & start back for base... & make it back to base, with around 1/4 or less of the tanks loaded with fuel.

The area in question, was just off to the SW of England... rough guess.. it was some time back... what I do know & recall was.. that was the means I used to achieve the objective.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 11-09-20 at 12:42 AM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote