View Single Post
Old 02-27-23, 08:12 AM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Update: I now have BOTH disk and steam versions in my pc. Each on different drives but sharing the saves. As mentioned above the disk saves do not work with the steam, or vice versa which is not a problem. JSGME also has two installs both with manually loaded mods, and neither conflict. So I have 2 x SH4 desktop icons and 2 x JSGME icons. I can play either at any time, so will leave them alone for now and sit back, relieved, and enjoy. All my SH4 Mods are kept in their own folder and I select from here to both JSGME. Thanks you to the experts for your advice and help
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... However, in your second quote there, you cannot use old Save files (or share them between modded games). The ones for the disk version of the game point to specific locations on your original install, and when you are using the Steam version, you have a different folder structure. Instant load failure when attempting any of those Saves. Everything must be EXACTLY the same. You can have both version on the same computer, no problem, but they must each have their own Save folders. So download MultiSH4 and put it in each of the game folders. Run it (especially in the "new" Steam version), and enter a new 3-character Save folder name, such as TMO if you're going to run TMO, or FRS for FotRSU, or whatever you like, such as 001 or whatever. That will keep the Save folder structures between the two versions of the game away from each other.
That is a link to MultiSH4 above. You really shouldn't share that Save folder (SH4). You might not notice issues right now with sharing the SH4 save folder, but eventually, there will be something that gets trashed, and you'll lose the whole shmear. If you wanted, you could leave the one Save folder as-is, set at SH4, but I would run MultiSH4 in at least one of the modded installs, and change the Save folder with it to something "meaningful" with 3 different characters. The "FileManager.dll" file in the game folder does have to be write-enabled before MultiSH4 will "take". As with the SH4.exe file, you right-click on the file in the game folder, choose Properties, and on the General tab which is opens to, clear the "Read-only" attribute if necessary. If the little tick box is empty, you are good to go. Run MultiSH4 and make the folder name like "RdD" or whatever.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote