View Single Post
Old 10-28-20, 11:26 PM   #2083
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
LOL, I was cautioning people about Program Files usage back before it was even popular. (2007 maybe? Windows Vista-64 release was Jan 2007) No, I have nothing in Program Files except crud that wouldn't let me have the choice not to install it there, I actively seek to minimize background apps/applets which I have absolutely no need for while gaming. Occasionally, I temporarily run the Core Temp heat monitor in the background to check for peak internal temperatures when I have a game that makes the fans go into overdrive. I don't run it constantly and SH4 doesn't make the fans go into overdrive like other games.

Okay, since you asked...

My set-up

M-Tech Laptop (actually a mainframe equiv. motherboard) with an Intel i9 9900k CPU 3.60 GHz, 32.0 GBytes DDR4 Ram @ 3.00 GHz

nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 w 8 GBytes GDDR6 Ram

3 SSD drives...

Main C: drive is 1 TByte SATA III Samsung 860 EVO
Secondary D: drive is 250 GByte SATA III Samsung 860 EVO
Third E: drive is 250 GByte Samsug 970 EVO Plus NVMe

Main C: drive is for Windows 10, programs, and game installations... minimal on Program Files (that includes the Steam main folder) I actively keep less than half this drive occupied for efficiency reasons)

Secondary D: drive is for remapped /users/name/... content so Windows can write to it simultaneously while doing its normal program and gaming thing.

Third E: drive is dedicated to the Windows 10 Cache file so it can expand/contract dynamically without affecting storage or efficiency of the Main C: drive. Also contains a Win10 Backup image so I can restore Win10 in a snap.

FYI, It takes a whopping 13 seconds from the moment I click the SH4 Wolves of the Pacific Icon and clicking thru the Ubisoft/Yamamoto splashscreens, to load to the main SH4 menu.

Yes, this is an expensive laptop, but the initial price doesn't reflect the overall quality and years of usage at relatively high performance levels. I figure approx 9 years of usage at a cost of less than $500 a year is a bargain compared to money spent on trashy TV and lousy modern movies.
A similar configuration to my desktop, though several magnitudes stronger... mine is old-tech Core2 Duo and 2G WD Black drives... but still does fine with most anything I have at this time to throw at it. I haven't bought a new game in years, and would be hard-pressed to remember which one it was... I find a lot of the new games like lousy modern movies, and confine most of my "new" gaming to the xBox and PS4 the kids have.

Back on topic, your computer is way more than strong, and should not have an issue at all with the game ("Thank you, Captain Obvious!"). One question though: Do you have write caching enabled on the SSDs? Write-Through would be the one to use if you are using it, but I'm not certain what would happen with Write-Back when playing SH4, if it gets out of whack or fails. But what are the chances of that anyway?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote