View Single Post
Old 09-29-16, 07:53 PM   #55
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
There is a link from ColonelSandersLite regarding Advanced Convoy Simultaneous Hits. Not only is this a great thread from the standpoint of the intended subject, BUT, he, ColonelSandersLite provides some excellent training aids, one of which is extremely useful for target acquisition and approach training. He prepackaged a set of eight single missions to use for such practice. I have found them to be of great value for any sort of practice imaginable.

A guy commented on one of those videos a couple of days ago so I thought I would stop in, only to find people talking about me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I don't know where the commonly believed fallacy of AoB being dependent on your course came from, but it's dead wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Is that commonly believed? I've never heard of that until you mentioned it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I've run into it repeatedly. However referencing your diagram shows clearly that owncourse is entirely irrelevant to AoB.
That diagram is wrong. What's labeled as the "Track Angle" is actually the "Torpedo Track Angle". Basically every measure between V Torpedo and V Target needs to have the word Torpedo inserted. See the USN fire control manual at http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/attack/index.htm page 1-12 for a more information. "Track Angle" is actually the relationship between your course and the target course.

That being said, AOB is related to own course. Intercept angle, Bearing, and AOB must add to 180 or it's not a triangle. Intercept angle is based on the difference between your course and target course.

We can say it's a mathematical certainty that if you keep any one point of the triangle constant over time, the other two must change unless you are on a collision course.

The most common constant in a torpedo attack is going to be track angle. Since track angle isn't going to change, bearing and AOB will.

Suppose you want to keep AOB constant though. Why might you do this? Maybe you want your torpedoes to hit the target at a certain angle and you're not happy with the range. In order to keep AOB constant, you must change course and bearing.

Suppose you want to keep bearing constant. Why? Perhaps you're doing an end around to get in front of the target. In this case, you want to keep distance constant so you move around the circumference of a circle centered on the target. AOB and course must change.

In the case of a collision course, all 3 angles remain constant over time, changing the scaling of the triangle, but not the angles.

edit: fixed a small mistake

edit 2: fixed another mistake. I'm on a roll today...

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 09-29-16 at 09:04 PM.
ColonelSandersLite is offline   Reply With Quote