View Single Post
Old 01-09-22, 01:47 PM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If you have a set of files, such as "M35Hansa" dat, sim, zon, val, and dsd files, then generally, you link to the "mother" that creates the sound, as in

The sim file versus dat files that work on "names", such as prop & ruder, have to be spelled exactly alike in their "Label" nodes, else they won't link correctly. With the turret and similar nodes in the sim, like this link above, you use the node ID of the "instigator". With turrets, I always have a problem of linking to the correct part, and have to "copy" off a Stock game example...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I assume you hear the sinking sound only when the ship is sinking. And that the only change you did is the range of the sound (in Sh3.sdl) ?

Now, some remarks :

- sounds in SH3 are sometimes buggy, especially when you pause the game...

- the order of the nodes in ship.dat and/or .dsd is important, and is the origin of the problems...

- after a ship has broken in two parts, there isn't any sinking sound playing (even if there is a sinking sound node for each part of the ship (bow & stern), it's probably a miss in the hardcode)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
It's a strange one Rick. In the dat files for some of them, there is a node listed as ship sinking sound...........but even some of the ships with this node don't make the noise while others do !?! Oh, and if you don't lock onto the target first, even just a lock and release, I don't get to use the external view for testing even though it's an activated option, nor get the sound !?! Lock on, get external view/sound, don't lock on, nothing. With the exact same ship !
But I have it working well for those that do anyway and for those that don't...........an extra torpedo !
I was not aware that the order of dsd nodes mattered, but it holds for reflections, visible underwater, statemachine, etc., it doesn't surprise me. So you want to find a known-good Stock ship and copy it. I wonder if the sound doesn't sound, because you "officially" are not aware of the ship sinking if you haven't "targeted" it? Anyway, make a mini-mod and find a known-good candidate to copy the way things are done there over to another "test" ship that doesn't have the sound yet, being careful of ID numbers and conflicts, of which we could hook you up with s7rikeback for a post-editing review of the Node IDs - but anyway, do the linking as in the top picture, where you match the dsd files sound link to a proper "parent" in the dat file, and see if that doesn't do the trick for that one ship, then spread the good cheer (noise) throughout the Sea folder... I can see it now - "JohnzGWX_SinkingSound mod...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote