View Single Post
Old 07-16-19, 01:17 PM   #8352
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that. Did COMSUBPAC modify their approach, with orders allowing subs to surface more? Were skippers widely disregarding these particular instructions or going by the book?
For their first patrols, there were definite orders to be submerged during daylight hours when within 500 nm of known enemy airbases, or when within so many miles of the Japanese islands, but all of the skippers coming back after their first patrols were criticized for being submerged too much. Sort of a Catch-22. While I have not seen specific orders (yet) addressed to subs rescinding the previous orders, the commanders were definitely encouraged, especially after getting better radar units, to stay on the surface as much as possible and cover as much water as possible. I have four submarine books and use the Maritime dot org Sub Reports and the HNSA version of the same thing ever since I found them. Some fascinating reading. It is sometimes amazing how nonchalant some of those fellows were... nothing but the facts...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote