View Single Post
Old 09-30-16, 05:50 PM   #64
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Ah yes, the incredible advantage of constant bearing technique: you set up the shot first, THEN all you have to do is maneuver your boat into position. And that frequently can take a half hour.
Daylight attack vs a typical 9 knot target. You get ahead and submerge when he enters visual range, about 5 to 7 miles depending on conditions. 30 mins is right in the ballpark, yeah. Of course, you can even plan your attack well before you submerge and know your lead angle even sooner. Anyone can absolutely use one of the attack plans in those tutorial videos today, and those where worked out *months* ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Errors are inevitable. Do what you can to make them inconsequential.
This is the exact reason I just accept that I'm going to be taking a second (and maybe a third, fourth, fifth, and sixth) reading during the course of an attack.

As for AOB error being the less significant error, it depends. AOB error translates to positional error over time. How significant that is depends on time, target speed, target aspect, and reading accuracy.

For a simple case where you're talking about taking a reading on a typical slow merchant target 750 yards away and firing immediately, it absolutely does not matter. If you're talking about taking a reading on a fast target, waiting 5 minutes to fire, and a 3 minute run time, it matters a hell of a lot more.

If attacking from a track angle of about 100 degrees, it matters a lot less than it does when attacking from a track angle of 50 degrees. Especially if it results in the PK adjusting the AOB in a manner that makes the track angle too sharp.

Since I feel pretty strongly that you should be, at a minimum, taking a second reading, if for no other reason than to verify your firing solution, I think the difference is largely academic and doesn't even actually matter in the real world.

Also, this may come as a shock, but I don't tend to keep important printed documents underneath my leaky periscope. I store them properly in a water resistant container. I fully understand that having something absorbent underneath your periscope is conducive to good health, but I would recommend you use a towel or an old T-shirt or something instead.