View Single Post
Old 02-11-20, 07:36 PM   #424
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burki View Post
Yea to be more specific I get stuck on No mission too difficult.
That is the screen just before the display of the interior of the sub to start your mission. Hanging there usually indicates a lack of RAM. Let us know what your computer system is, and we'll go from there, or let us know if the LAA helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperril View Post
I'm having a little trouble and can't see it's been reported before. First patrol out of Manila in an S-boat. I've done 2 patrol zones and was then tasked with the landing in Lingayen Gulf. I found 8 or so small troopships without any protection at anchor. I hit 3 with my initial wave of torps. Coming closer to a fourth with the scope up I didn't notice any defensive weapons. I surfaced the boat near #4 to get to work with the deck gun. My first shot caused a massive explosion that I was caught in. I suffered serious damage due to how close I was. After sinking everything else in range, I spent time getting the damage fixed.

Here's the problem: The only things left that need repair are both of the periscope heads and the radio antenna. I had already repaired 1 diesel engine and 2 electric engines, plus the batteries. I can't make the diesels run. If I submerge, the electric runs fine. I've tried turning the battery charger off, but still no go. Is there some type of permanent engine damage feature that I'm not aware of? The game accepts the order of "ahead standard," the telegraph moves, but the props never turn.

Thanks in advance!
So you were inside the DD defense screen then. Hopefully, the next release will fix the failure of them to respond to your presence after the first torp hit. As far as your engines go, there is indeed a "completely destroyed" in the game. Same for the electrics and for the rudders. Now, in real life, if you lost your rudders, you could use the engines to steer with, but SH4 does not split the engines. In real life, you lose an engine, you'd try to cobble parts from one to fix the other. But there would be damages that are "permanent", which is what you found when you detonated the ammunition stores (most likely) on that troopship. Not to "cheat" or anything, but your batteries don't ever fully deplete in the game. You might be able to submerge and extricate yourself from the situation, come up and get some air, then continue submerged until you need air again... Of course, beginning of a career, it is much easier to start again, though the odds of getting the same assignment again are not real high...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote