View Single Post
Old 07-13-17, 06:34 PM   #13
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

Rather frustrated with this campaign at the moment. Been driving Skipjacks exclusively: I don't know about the other subs' sonar, but the Skipjack's is pretty poor for US standards, and sub-to-sub engagements are a crapshoot which often have me resort to arguably gamey tactics just to have the enemy give away its position. I tend to tempt them with active sonar, knowing they'll fire at me, and then I can usually evade the torpedo (instant kill if it hits) and home in on the launch location.

But it's boring most of the time. I do torpedo wrangling and can sometimes return fishes to their owners, which can be more effective than relying on my absolutely terrible armament. It leads me to believe a Cold War gone hot in the late 1960s would've been a decisive Soviet win at sea at least. The Mk 16 is a nigh-useless relic against anything with a sonar and some maneuverability unless spent in unsustainable volumes, and the Mk 37's eye-watering sluggishness makes me wonder just how on Earth someone approved it becoming the US Navy's mainstay torpedo. And then there's the bug which allows enemy vessels to detect passive torpedoes in their baffles, which only further degrades the 37's already poor performance.

In the end, it feels like I have to cheese the subs to beat them, and warships feel unassailable 80% of the time. Surface-wise, the best I can do is focus on objectives, which are usually merchants, and most medals seem exceedingly out of reach considering the thresholds are the same whether you're puttering about with a Permit in '68 or annihilating everything in your sight on a Los Angeles in '84.

Sorry about the rant. Had to get it off my chest. I really like Cold Waters, but criticism is due where it's due.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote