View Single Post
Old 10-11-22, 11:47 AM   #1514
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardaeshir View Post
... when I launch the SH3.exe file (the one in the onealex path at C:\SH3 - NOT the steam version) both intro movies play fine, but after the 2nd intro movie the following prompt appears:
Two ways that can happen (that I can remember). Number one is that you do not have the DirectX v9.0c library installed. You could try that from the Microsoft Download Center. It has the parts which SH3 needs. I have my doubts though, that it is at issue here, since you have the Steam version installed, which should have put the proper files in Windows system... Another possible fix is by noodling with the Properties settings on the SH3.exe file. Some experimentation might be required here, since no two computers are alike. Navigate into your SH3 game install folder that you modded, and select the SH3.exe file. Right-click on the file, and choose "Properties" at the bottom of the resultant context menu. That will open the Properties dialog to the General tab. Click on the "Compatibility" tab, and change the "Compatibility Mode". On one computer, I am set to WinXP SP2, on another, only Win7 works. YMMV.

In that picture above, it is an SH4 install in Win10, but the same applies for SH3 and / or Win11. On all of my Silent Hunter installs, I have "Disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked. On most machines, I have "Run this program as administrator". On all machine, I had to click on the "Change high DPI settings" button, which then opens that 'top' window you see there, and I clicked on "Override high DPI scaling..." and chose "Application".

You also should match the display settings in the mod with your computer. If a mod is using a 1920x1080 widescreen utility, your computer must be capable of that. If you try to run on a 1372x768 or similar laptop, it will usually fail. On some computers, you can get by with "Windowed mode", but I cannot get that to fly for SH3 on my computers. I end up with a re-sized screen that only shows maybe a third of what the game is trying to run...

As for another user unable to get a good "Search" on the site, use an external Search engine, and plug-in "Site:subsim.com/radioroom SearchTerm SearchTerm" and see if you don't get more appropriate hits. One also cannot forget that there are multiple native languages for members on the site, and "Translate" does not always do a good job translating the idiosyncrasies of the written language. The main thing, as always, is PAY ATTENTION TO THE MODERATORS!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
That's quite enough thank you. Take it to PM's and refrain from posting your disagreements in public.

I thank you both in advance for your cooperation.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote