View Single Post
Old 02-09-13, 06:57 AM   #130
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Vermin:

Quote:
1) Every aircraft that would drop depth bombs will now also drop a FIDO (after Fido is available)?
Yes. But note that aircraft that carry depthcharges mostly also carry bombs, and (usually) will drop bombs, not depthcharges. So there is not an attack by Fido after most air attacks.

Quote:
2) Fido will only be used on submerged/periscope depth U-boat?
No, it will be dropped on a surfaced U-boat too. But again, bombs are more likely to be dropped. However, you have very little chance of escape if attacked by Fido while on the surface, because the acoustic torpedo homes in on your speed.

Quote:
3) Fido will also be used even if u-boat is very near convoy or under attack by surface vessels?
Yes. Just as bombs and depthcharges will also be dropped on you even if you are under a merchantship. That was part of the devs' original code.

One more item concerning Fido and U-boat operation in SH3:
Just recently, I discovered for the first time that, if the U-boat is nearly stationary underwater and you click on 'resume course', the U-boat speed jumps up to medium speed. A Fido sunk me as a result; I thought I was still drifting slowly round at <1 kt - until I got hit. That was a dirty trick by the devs - when I say 'resume course', I mean 'turn to set heading'. I do not mean 'turn to set heading at medium speed'.

I hope all is clear now.
Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote