View Single Post
Old 11-14-19, 10:39 PM   #49
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
First off, thank you to all involved for producing FOTRS-U sharing it with the Community.

Second, what file(s) need to be changed so that there is no hydrophone detection when surfaced. This is a feature of FOTRS-U that I would really prefer not to have as it acts very much as some sort of uber-sensor.

I looked at the ...\USSubParts\Sensors_sub_US.sim and this looks like a good candidate for editing but am unsure of what values need to be changed to eliminate sonar detection when surfaced.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-C
First of all, thanks for the thanks. We do appreciate it. 2nd of all, what I am about to tell you could quite possibly ruin the mod as you know it... If you go to messing with sensors or equipment, and try to make it act like a different mod, you are often asking for trouble. So just remember that FotRSU is not RFB. If you look at the library files for RFB, you will see quite a few sonar heads, used two and three at a time on the subs. There is a reason for that. Make yourself a mini-mod, and put your changes in that. You might have to empty the Save folder... I'm not sure about that, when it comes to a sim file change...

Anyway, you need to look at the submarine's sns file to find the gear used, so using the Balao, we look at "[Sensor 6]" and sensor 7 for ball 1 & ball 2. One would be Hydrophone, the other is sonar. Think "hierarchy" and "one" being more important than "two", so we'll look in the Data / Library / USSubParts folder for "Sensors_sub_US.dat". Find the "NSS_Hydrophone_Ball_01" that matches the sns file listing. Copy its Node ID number. Open the associated sim file, and "search" on that node number and find the "SensorData" node that uses that as its "Parent ID" number. It should (in theory) match the SensorData type as "hydrophone", once you click on the child node of the child in that sim file. That is where your edits go. Some folks change the "MaxSensorHeight" to a negative number, but remember that you are dealing with meters, not feet or inches there. It does have to be deep enough to not come out of the water in a wave trough. This did not work reliably with FotRSU on its own. Another thing to remember is that the hydrophone did work while the boat was on the surface. The boats apparently usually did not man the station due to it inefficiency when surfaced, because of the wave noise and other environmental factors. Compare setting between FotRSU, TMO, RSRDC, RFB or any of your other favorite mods, and experiment. Each boat has to be treated individually, but they all use the same "sensor"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Let us find the mines on our own the hard way LOL

Did you get my PM?
If you talking about me and the PM merc, then no, I have not. Should we have "Fearless Leader" check his?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote