View Single Post
Old 11-02-20, 08:00 AM   #2118
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

@ Mad Mardigan: I have pointed to Front Runner's posting Base Time 2018 for what he discovered time-wise in the game. I did a few experiments with him, and after we discovered the CareerStart problem for 1945, things became consistent. With a "properly configured" game clock, sunrise and sunset were consistent, and "yes", the game keeps you on your "base time". One thing we realized was that the game uses an even distribution of the time lines, placed upon the cylindrical world. As such, there is an apparent slight distortion that results, of the differences between the world as a globe and the world as a cylinder, similar to the Mercator effect. Therefore, days are close to the same length near the equator, as they are near the Tropic lines. There does appear to be some attempt by the game to simulate such differences, but it seems to be a single algorithm they used. One thing we noticed in this is that Pearl Harbor is not in its "historical" time zone, in which it was 30 minutes off (I cannot remember which way), such that if Midway was at 1400 hours, Pearl was at 1330. I also do not remember why they did that, and quick searches this morning have been futile.

I do not know how they actually programmed things, and Front Runner and I only guessed at how the clock (or probably "clocks") in the game are done. Rockin Robbins has always said that the game was lousy at its "astronomy", but it might just be the actual functioning of the game on each individual person's computer. If you are pretty well "tied" to 30fps, and your Saved files don't get contaminated or corrupted, then you should have very similar sunrise / sunset times, consistently through an entire career. If your computer is running at say 100fps, that's when using TC in the game tends to slightly 'confuse' the issue, and time "slips" a few minutes a day, one way or the other. One way to tell if you have a corrupted Save is with the clock, in that if when off the coast of Japan, and like you, you are having sunrise at 1030 hours, and that then changes to 0630 hours after a Save and then Load, then you know the Save lost some data somewhere, because you have changed from "Base Time", to "Local Time"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
First I've heard of CapnScury's fix, so I've NEVER had it installed directly to the stock game, unless it actually is in TMO which I'll verify with some file comparisons. I've never had an issue with the stock game nor TMO losing the sonar mouse control AND whenever I switch mods, I completely wipe/blitz the entire installation which includes the JSGME MOD folder. along with the /SH4 folder where all the savegames and pertinent setup info are stored and then rebuild the installation with new mods There is NO cross-contamination in my games. At the moment, after 6 hours of playing TMO, knock on wood, I don't have even the glimmer of a glitch in the sonar mouse control. The problem almost assuredly appears to reside in FORTSU files.
Scurvy's fix is mostly for the Gato, and if you play Stock, it does not function correctly without Scurvy's fix. I do not recall if there was a version of the fix for TMO also, or if it was incorporated into v2.5... I cannot find reference to either. Also, just to clarify, I am not saying you are the one causing the issue. Windows 10 itself can "shell-out" and you might never see it. Something is corrupting your Save data though, while using FotRSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
I seem to have stumbled upon another serious bug.

Returned to Midway in late November 1944. Was awarded an upgrade to the Tench class boat.

Accepted and set up loadout, crew etc for next patrol.

Cannot start next patrol. Whether I choose to start outside or inside of harbor, game crashes to desktop during loading.

Rebooted machine & restarted game a couple times, no change. Likewise, fullscreen vs. windowed mode.

If I go back to a save before returning to Midway & refuse the upgrade, I am able to start next patrol in the old Balao. But what fun is that?

As before, using only FOTRS:UE 1.24 + 1.26 patch.
The Tench is not an active submarine until January 1, 1945. Some of its equipment is not active until then either. As such, it is bascially and "unknown quantity" until after then. We can assume, from your experience, that it is not as forgiving as the Balao is when it comes to "early update", though most of my tests with getting it as early as October 1944 have successfully upgraded and gone out on patrol. Do you remember your mission assignment on the overview map, when you tried to do the first patrol? This could well be related though, to what mazzi found for the Balao and its deck gun, which is expanded to the Gato & Tench for the next release. All boats will have all guns, whether the boat is active before or after the gun. This includes the AA guns, so we'll see how their availability goes during testing also. I am in the process of running through all of the other equipment also. I expect my eyes to roll to the back of my head at any moment -

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote