View Single Post
Old 09-30-16, 07:23 AM   #61
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
To make sure I'm understanding this correctly... You're just using 0 speed and 0 AOB as a setting on the TDC to get a "straight as possible" torpedo run and using your reference charts to place the scope on the correct lead angle?
Yep. Not mentioned explicitly, but to be clear, when using that method you'll want to sight the periscope at bearing 0/180 and send a range. The range you send doesn't matter, you're just telling the TDC to shoot straight with this setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
(i.e. usually 10 slow target/15 medium target /20 fast target degrees) and setting that as my target's AOB (at point of firing). Then I scope down the same lead angle allowing the TDC to make slight gyro alterations in the final firing solution.
Yeah, you got that from one of Rockin Robbins right? Nothing wrong with doing it that way either. That method has a bit more built in error correction in the event you forgot your torpedo speed setting or have the periscope pointed a bit wrong or something.

My favored method above gives a straighter gyro angle, which can yield better accuracy when shooting at long range. It is also a flatly better method in the event you don't actually know target speed and course and want to just guess the lead angle and snap a shot off when target is at some arbitrary bearing because you don't want to be fiddling with dials when you're doing that.

Both are perfectly valid.

There's a third method that combines the best of both but requires you to do more work.

First, plot the target normally and determine target speed and the track angle. For example sake, we will say track angle is 60 degrees port.

Second solve the lead angle with the lookup chart. For example sake, we will say that you need to shoot when target is on bearing 10.

Third, enter the target speed into the TDC.

Fourth, enter the target AOB for where it will be when you shoot at it. In this case, 60 - 10 means 50 degrees AOB.

Fifth, point the periscope at the aiming bearing. Bearing 10 in this example.

Sixth, just before you fire (basically just before the ship starts to cross the line is what you want), use the stadimeter to get target range and bearing.

Seventh, move the periscope back to the aiming bearing and resend range. Do not move the periscope again until you are done shooting. Shoot as you would for the other constant bearing techniques.

The downside is obviously that it's more work.

The upsides? For starters, it has exactly the same level of error forgiveness as Rockin Robbins technique above and since you're not just guessing the lead angle, the gyro angle will be very straight every time if you do it correctly. That combination makes it the most accurate method of shooting that I know. Combining this method, electric torpedoes, and map contacts enabled yields an incredible amount of accuracy even out to maximum range. Not only do I hit the ship nearly every time (baring malfunctions), I hit the exact part of the ship I was aiming at nearly every time.

The other big upside is that it allows you to more quickly change targets in a convoy attack since speed is already entered. I used this method for the 0 gyro shots in the tutorial videos you mentioned specifically because of that.