Old 05-24-20, 09:00 AM   #1089
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
Thanks for your input.

I did see all the warnings about the Programs(x86) folder but that seems to be a warning that folks repeat without any empirical data as to why. I play a good number of different games and I've not had any issues that others haven't also had who followed that rule. At least none that I could attribute to that. (It's also kinda nice to have all your games in one overall folder)

This time my problem worked out to be my taking an order for S boats to re-base in Brisbane to apply to me when my boat wasn't an S-Boat (Doh!) Went to Freemantle and was able to end the mission just fine.

As to the awards (Medals) PropBeanie explained that there was a graphics bug which could cause problems so they simply display the empty box, but if you click on it, your medals are in there. Oddly I seem to get one medal per patrol for myself and a matching medal to award to one lucky crewman. I was first hooked on this game from watching a Let's play that One F Jef made about 10 years ago. In it he seemed to always a number of medals for his crew that he passed out pretty randomly. But he did always seem to get more than one for his crew. Of course This mod incorporates the Medal Fix so I'd expect to act differently than the base game that I assume Jef was playing.
The medals award system is basically the same as stock, with different artwork, and a couple of medals "swapped" in the assignment list. There isn't really a way to change the assignment process, same with doing them by dates such as the Philippine Campaign award. What has changed in FotRSU is the amount of renown awarded, so a player has a lower points score than in stock. This is probably what is behind your not getting medals to pass around. We'll look into whether we can balance that better.

As to the reasoning behind not using a Program Files folder, we do have several places in the documentation where the reasoning is documented. The short story is that Windows "protects" the folders from "unauthorized" changes, and the user, the game, nor JSGME are "authorized" to make changes in the folder, and any changes that are attempted are rolled back by Windows to their previous state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
Started 1941 career today, driving Seadragon. Just spent 9 days near Formosa. Ran out of torpedoes. Sank 69,000 tones of shipping.

No one ever did that in history and I ain't that good. Something is wrong with game. I have been playing without map updates, which doesn't help. Game too easy.

I think part of the problem is that in real life, after the first couple ships sunk in area, shipping would be rerouted? Hunter killer pack would be sent to destroy me? Nope. They just keep coming.

Anyway to modify routing to account for player activity? Thanks.
Unfortunately, re-routing traffic is only done on an "immediate" basis. In other words, something within the spawn range will attempt to avoid a submarine contact area. There is no way in SH4 to simulate re-routing traffic for a given time period. However, there should be countering forces sent toward your location when you are spotted. Anything available will come your way, such as ships, but especially airplanes. A player who successfully sinks a ship, and then moves to an area far enough away from the sinking will often times not encounter the "response force", and after the game's quiet time, the response seems to quit, the same as the failure to re-route traffic... Where were you primarily operating Michael Wood? I can look and see what forces should be available nearby, and it might be that you are too far from anything able to respond... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote